Hot take: you have to be rude from time to time to get things done.

4,799 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BostonAg74
lancevance
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Top protip of the day.
hunterntexas
AG
When you have to opportunity to be anything, be kind.
Unemployed
AG
lancevance said:

Top protip of the day.
Or maybe people just don't like you.
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
I think there's a small difference between stern and rude, but with all the emotional jag offs out there today, being stern often gets confused with being rude.

Trust me, I manage a lot of people under 40 and about half of them have never had a parent or superior speak bluntly with them.

The thing is, I'm easy going if you need help and make mistakes on strategy and negotiation. If I have to manage your behavior (basic job requirements like show up on time, do the minimum required), then I'm going to be stern, and if I have to do it a second time, I'm a dick. I have no time for babysitting.

jm94
AG
Mostly Sunny Disposition said:

The thing is, I'm easy going if you need help and make mistakes on strategy and negotiation. If I have to manage your behavior (basic job requirements like show up on time, do the minimum required), then I'm going to be stern, and if I have to do it a second time, I'm a dick. I have no time for babysitting.
Username checks out.
ClickClack
AG
You don't have to be rude. But you do have to show you have some fortitude and come from a position of strength and confidence.

I think that's a big part of development from an immature youngish adult to someone with more life experience - learning that you don't have to be rude to show strength.
aTm2004
AG
When I started my last company, one of the other new guys was a dude from Penn State. He was born and raised in Brooklyn and was everything you'd image when you picture someone from there. During a meeting once, he told us in the room "In New York, if you want to get something done, you start the conversation with 'look, a***ole'" in his thick accent. I think we all laughed for about 5 minutes after that.

Off topic, but related...there was another guy born in NY that was recruited from Penn State, and his first time in Houston, he told me and some other co-workers he wanted to go to a "cowboy" bar and punch one of the cowboys and tell him "I'm from New York, mother****er!" Me and another guy told him he probably shouldn't do that because he'll most likely do it to someone who has been throwing hay and wrestling cattle their whole life, so his little punch won't do anything to them besides justify them kicking his ass. He shut up after that.
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
aTm2004 said:

When I started my last company, one of the other new guys was a dude from Penn State. He was born and raised in Brooklyn and was everything you'd image when you picture someone from there. During a meeting once, he told us in the room "In New York, if you want to get something done, you start the conversation with 'look, a***ole'" in his thick accent. I think we all laughed for about 5 minutes after that.

Off topic, but related...there was another guy born in NY that was recruited from Penn State, and his first time in Houston, he told me and some other co-workers he wanted to go to a "cowboy" bar and punch one of the cowboys and tell him "I'm from New York, mother****er!" Me and another guy told him he probably shouldn't do that because he'll most likely do it to someone who has been throwing hay and wrestling cattle their whole life, so his little punch won't do anything to them besides justify them kicking his ass. He shut up after that.

Love it, because I have vendors from New England that I have to treat this way to get their attention
Potcake
AG
Thread title sounds like it came from Karen's book of quotes.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
I actually like selling to people and doing deals in the northeast, because you can act super busy and rushed and say," look, dont have time for chit chat, this is what i need. Here's why you should do it. Whats the pushback?"
Wooahhhh
AG
not if you're 6'4" or taller with broad shoulders & a convincing personality. Short people can and usually do remedy the situation quicker under these conditions.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Use this phrase.

"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness."

You can add **** and mother ****er to add more flare.
Slim Isle
Be Firm. Be Friendly. Not rude. Talk Southern.
Claude!
Don't worry 'bout losing your accent
A Southern man tells better jokes
texan12
Using the terms Pro tip and hot take should require a letter of resignation. Way to lose the little respect you may have garnered.
redass89

I think there's a small difference between stern and rude, but with all the emotional jag offs out there today, being stern often gets confused with being rude.

Trust me, I manage a lot of people under 40 and about half of them have never had a parent or superior speak bluntly with them.

Says the guy scrolling Texags in the middle of the workdday
Ol_Ag_02
AG

Does corporate give you discounts? Of course they do, you sly dog. Man. You must have a closet filled with sweet Gap and Banana Republic clothes.
TxAg82
AG
I am a big believer that being kind is best in all situations. I also just had a situation where where I kindly suggested to the seller in a real estate purchase I am trying to make that I have no problem filing suit and tying up his property in court for months if he wants to continue to be in breach of his contract. Problem was quickly resolved.
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
redass89 said:

Says the guy scrolling Texags in the middle of the workdday

Touch! Nice burn.
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Does corporate give you discounts? Of course they do, you sly dog. Man. You must have a closet filled with sweet Gap and Banana Republic clothes.

I've read your post a few times, and, I can't for the life of me, figure out the meaning behind your response. Maybe you can help my slow ass out?
Ol_Ag_02
AG

Ol_Ag_02 said:

I've read your post a few times, and, I can't for the life of me, figure out the meaning behind your response. Maybe you can help my slow ass out?

I was trying to insinuate that you're a giant loser who manages a Gap as a grown man. Takes all the fun out of it, if I have to explain it. I'll try harder at my insults next time. I guess I'm just not very good at them.
Athanasius
AG
Evil may not be done so that good may come of it.

In all things, charity.
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

I was trying to insinuate that you're a giant loser who manages a Gap as a grown man. Takes all the fun out of it, if I have to explain it. I'll try harder at my insults next time. I guess I'm just not very good at them.

Yeah, the message missed the mark WIIIIDE right.

I manage the Gulf Coast P&L for a Fortune 100 company. Lots of good candidates in the younger ranks but can be highly highly emotional.
Potcake
AG
Hi Mr. Barnes
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
Potcake said:

Hi Mr. Barnes

****, I'm outed!
hbc07
AG
aTm2004 said:

aggiederelict
My experience with New Yorkers is they talk a lot of mess and don't do anything. I'm married to one.. When **** hits the fan, they scatter like a bunch or rats. Anyone who grows up in a culture where guns are prohibited have the luxury to run their mouth without much repercussion. This doesn't apply to people who grew up in the ghetto. The streets manage themselves. .
TexasAggie81
TxAg82 said:

I am a big believer that being kind is best in all situations. I also just had a situation where where I kindly suggested to the seller in a real estate purchase I am trying to make that I have no problem filing suit and tying up his property in court for months if he wants to continue to be in breach of his contract. Problem was quickly resolved.

I'm kind until I'm forced not to be kind. When that happens, look out. I'm nobody's doormat or fool. I can become an ugly force to be dealt with pretty quickly.
malenurse
AG

This is what happens when kids don't play organized sports when they are young. You need to learn that if you screw up you're going to get an ass-chewing. It also teaches people to be on time. Do you make your employees run laps if they are late?
txam92
AG
TexasAggie81 said:

TxAg82 said:

I'm kind until I'm forced not to be kind. When that happens, look out. I'm nobody's doormat or fool. I can become an ugly force to be dealt with pretty quickly.
My policy as well. Be nice until it's time not to be nice. Some people just take, and take and take, so you have to be a little more "direct" with them.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Just like with children, it all comes back to consequences. Being stern is necessary in a lot of situations. However, the more important thing, is that even when speaking in a perfectly calm and kind manner, you follow through with consequences if the person does not do what you ask. I.e. escalating up the chain of command, enforcing disciplinary measures, losing the privilege of longer deadlines in the future (explicitly stated to them directly), etc.

This way, once you actually enforce the consequences due to their laziness or whatever excuse, they're much more likely to take you seriously, as opposed to just hearing a tone change in your voice.
fire09
AG
I have found that in most cases positive persuasion often works just as well, if not better than negative escalation when it comes to conflict resolution. I have adopted a strategy of generally employing positive persuasion almost always an initial approach to confrontation. This helps me focus on achieving the desired outcome, rather than trading jabs or making a point with someone who likely isn't worth my time. I also immediately cease dialogue with an individual if it becomes apparent they are unable to help me achieve the desired outcome, and select a different approach to solving my problem.

Becoming emotional almost always puts you at a disadvantage in a conflict.

ETA
Being rude =/= being resolved. I would argue being rude is a symptom of losing control of emotions.
goodAg80
AG
aggiederelict said:

My experience with New Yorkers is they talk a lot of mess and don't do anything. I'm married to one.. When **** hits the fan, they scatter like a bunch or rats. Anyone who grows up in a culture where guns are prohibited have the luxury to run their mouth without much repercussion. This doesn't apply to people who grew up in the ghetto. The streets manage themselves. .
I worked for a New Yorker whose parents were killed by the mob. I wouldn't have screwed around with him, he was heartless.
BostonAg74
One of the nice perks about being my age is that you get to be rude all the time and people just accept it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.