At what time does a new day officially start?

3,380 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 62strat
CPAAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it 12:00 am or 12:01?

For Example beaches are closed this weekend through 12:00 am Monday July 6th. Does that mean to include all 24 hours of July 6th or does it mean within the first minute after Sunday ends?
ClickClack
AG
From 12:00am to 12:01am is the first minute of the day.

You stupid?
lunchbox
CPAAg said:

For Example beaches are closed this weekend through 12:00 am Monday July 6th. Does that mean to include all 24 hours of July 6th or does it mean within the first minute after Sunday ends?
My interpretation of that is that Monday at 12:00:01 AM the beaches are open.
permabull
AG
Ragoo
AG
When I wake up
Geralt of Rivia
S
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
4:26
toucan82
Time is a prison built to make us captives of other peoples' schedules
Win At Life
AG
The meaning of 12:00 AM has actually been debated in a court case and been ruled to be ambiguous . That's why the governor used 12:01.
TexasRebel
AG
Since a single point in time does not actually exist (limits to infinity and all) and since time is unidirectional:
anything approaching 00:00:00.00... 7/6/2020 is 7/5/2020 and once past 00:00:00.00... 7/6/2020 is 7/6/2020.

00:00:00.00... 7/6/2020 doesn't actually exist.
The Dog Lord
AG
Win At Life said:

The meaning of 12:00 AM has actually been debated in a court case and been ruled to be ambiguous . That's why the governor used 12:01.

In technical terms, I think it's pretty clear, but since a lot of people are idiots, I fully support using 11:59 PM or 12:01 AM instead. When applying for my current position, I made sure to submit my application one day early just in case. They used 12:00 AM but really meant 11:59 PM the next day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So do you wait until 12:01 to celebrate a New Year every NYE?
Wildman15
AG
This debate falls in the same category of "is Sunday the first or last day of the week?" And "does a new decade/century start at year 0 or year 1?"
Drawkcab
ClickClack said:

You stupid?

Exactly, and the first 10 minutes are from 12:00 to 12:10. Then we begin the next 10 minutes of the day, 12:11am to 12:20am. The 20th minute is the last minute of the second 10 minutes just like 2020 is the last year of this decade and we'll begin a new decade on the first day of 2021.
TexasRebel
AG
Drawkcab said:

ClickClack said:

You stupid?

Exactly, and the first 10 minutes are from [12:00,12:10). Then we begin the next 10 minutes of the day, [12:10am, 12:20am). The 20th minute marks the end of the last minute of the second 10 minutes just like 2020 marked the last year of last decade and we'll begin the second year in this decade on the first day of 2021.

Had to clean it up a bit.
wbt5845
AG
i find it hard to believe someone with a college degree has to ask this.
lb3
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Our solar and lunar calendars are both slightly "off", and we're actually in a 33 year cycle. Every 33 years, every celestial body is in the exact same position.
Al Bula
AG
Time is just a construct for the three dimensional beings. You can never actually get to "the next day" because you can keep halving a unit of time it by itself to infinity.

The only "time" which exists is how you as a person react to the movements of celestial bodies and events.

So when the clocks turns from 11:59 to 12.
texan12
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So do you wait until 12:01 to celebrate a New Year every NYE?

No, but I typically celebrate sex from 12:00-12:01 which existence seems in limbo now.
chiken
AG
ClickClack said:

You stupid?
It's ridiculous how much this made me laugh.
Sarge 77
As soon as the clock hits 12:00 am.
Duncan Idaho
As God commands and the Jews follow: a day is measured from nightfall to nightfall. Anything else is a pagan clock and an insult to G_d
Aggieangler93
AG
OP username does NOT check out.
62strat
AG
CPAAg said:

If you look at your phone, when it goes from 11:59 pm to 12:00 am, the date changes. This should clear it up for you.

However, typing a 'rule' like this is asking for trouble. Why not just say closed through end of the day on Sunday?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.