Any hobbies/skill to teach kids while they're young?

8,979 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slim Isle
aftershock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Life Skills in order of importance
0 - Riding a bike
1 - Swimming
2 - How to throw a baseball/softball
3 - Shooting
4 - Snow Skiing

Now, there's a good one to work with your kid in July while you're at home due to work restrictions.

I thought the same thing about killing and skinning a deer... I mean, unless you've got a good hookup on exotics, it might be a good way to end up getting tracked down by the game warden... or worse... the OB...
war hymn aggie
AG
As I got into A&M, I wished that I knew how to dance C&W. It's hard to start learning it without practicing 1st, especially as a goofy fish when you don't really know that many people and don't have a reliable partner. This was also, pre-internet, so one couldn't just go online to learn how to dance.

Guy I knew had his mom make him take dancing lessons throughout jr high & high school (which he absolutely hated) but he totally reaped the benefits from those younger days & would continually score some of the hottest chicks in the club because of his dancing skillz.

Duncan Idaho
Yeah I am pretty sure if I had known how to 2 step i would have probably gotten laid while I was in school
Quad Dog
AG
One I haven't seen yet is how to sew on a button.
Claude!
Quad Dog said:

One I haven't seen yet is how to sew on a button.
I have to reteach this to myself every few years when I have a button come off.
AggieMPH2005
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
Robert A. Heinlein
goodAg80
AG
AggieMPH2005 said:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
Robert A. Heinlein
Do you get to practice?
Tamu_mgm
AG
The best gift you can give your kids is to teach them how to Pray with genuine sincerity and reverence.
Old RV Ag
AG
The cost of time. In running a business (or personal life), employee time costs are the biggest expense. Also, in personal life, spending two hours to save $10 is heading the wrong way. Better to spend the two hours trying to make $50 or $100.
HossAg
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

The best gift you can give your kids is to teach them how to Pray with genuine sincerity and reverence.

Or teach them how to think for themselves and let them come up with their own beliefs.
Claude!
Tamu_mgm said:

Counterpoint:

Duncan Idaho
Tamu_mgm said:

This! just make sure it is to the right god (i.e. Allah PBUH)
EliteZags
AG
If you want the best shot at big $$$

Hit 100 ground balls a day to them
HollywoodBQ
AG
Dale Gribble said:

HollywoodBQ said:

0 - Riding a bike
1 - Swimming
3 - Shooting
4 - Snow Skiing

I have 4 kids that play baseball/softball and I am constantly amazed at the amount of dads who throw a ball like a fairy. Instant loss of respect.
I just assumed that throwing a baseball was automatic for American males until I got to A&M. As a fish, we had to teach two of my fish buddies who were raised by their moms, how to throw a ball.

Whereas, growing up around European kids, none of them could throw a ball to save their lives. Get a look at a Brit Goalkeeper sometime, it's hilarious to watch them throw a ball.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

0 - Riding a bike
1 - Swimming
3 - Shooting
4 - Snow Skiing
Now, there's a good one to work with your kid in July while you're at home due to work restrictions.
Kia Ora

HollywoodBQ
AG
war hymn aggie said:

As I got into A&M, I wished that I knew how to dance C&W.
Gotta put in the hard yards at the SPJST halls.
HollywoodBQ
AG
aftershock said:

Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

0 - Riding a bike
1 - Swimming
3 - Shooting
4 - Snow Skiing
I thought the same thing about killing and skinning a deer... I mean, unless you've got a good hookup on exotics, it might be a good way to end up getting tracked down by the game warden... or worse... the OB...
I've got some squirrels in my backyard that you could start with.
Old RV Ag
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

0 - Riding a bike
1 - Swimming
3 - Shooting
4 - Snow Skiing
Kia Ora

And I've skied at Portillo, Chile and know the inverted seasons. But, are you or the ones you made the suggestion to in NZ now?
HollywoodBQ
AG
Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

0 - Riding a bike
1 - Swimming
3 - Shooting
4 - Snow Skiing
Kia Ora

And I've skied at Portillo, Chile and know the inverted seasons. But, are you or the ones you made the suggestion to in NZ now?
Thankfully, for the first Winter/Summer since 2007, I'm in the Northern Hemisphere.

Dude asked about life skills. The first things that came to mind for me was ways that I've seen kids get embarrassed, injured or killed.

Since you're an experienced skier, you would know that you've been able to learn how to ski in Houston since Oshmans in the early 1990s. You could also learn how to ski at Mt. Aggie in College Station back in the 80s/90s.

Here's a Channel 13 report from a couple years ago about learning to Ski in Houston.
https://abc13.com/hobbies/learn-to-ski-without-ever-leaving-houston/476977/

If New Jersey gets done with the Covids, you could even ski indoors a la Dubai.
Old RV Ag
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

0 - Riding a bike
1 - Swimming
3 - Shooting
4 - Snow Skiing
Kia Ora

Thankfully, for the first Winter/Summer since 2007, I'm in the Northern Hemisphere.

Dude asked about life skills. The first things that came to mind for me was ways that I've seen kids get embarrassed, injured or killed.

Since you're an experienced skier, you would know that you've been able to learn how to ski in Houston since Oshmans in the early 1990s. You could also learn how to ski at Mt. Aggie in College Station back in the 80s/90s.

Here's a Channel 13 report from a couple years ago about learning to Ski in Houston.

Mt. Aggie is the biggest Aggie joke ever done. That was embarrassing. I've skied from Taos to Austria to Chile and I agree that one thing Americans do horribly is overestimate their skiing skills and embarrass/injure themselves. Skiing is a fantastic skill/sport - just not indoors or in Texas.
Patriarch
AG
Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

0 - Riding a bike
1 - Swimming
3 - Shooting
4 - Snow Skiing
Kia Ora

Mt. Aggie is the biggest Aggie joke ever done. That was embarrassing. I've skied from Taos to Austria to Chile and I agree that one thing Americans do horribly is overestimate their skiing skills and embarrass/injure themselves. Skiing is a fantastic skill/sport - just not indoors or in Texas.

That's racist.
LupinusTexensis
The art of being uncomfortable and still carrying on
Buck Turgidson
Marksmanship
dcAg
Swimming
Riding a bike
Whistling
Skipping
Tying knots
Snapping fingers
Put together a piece of furniture from IKEA
History of Punk music
Cromagnum
AG
Non common core math.
XX and XY
Personal responsibility
Basic finance
How listen to differing opinions.

These alone will take them much further than alot of our citizens
zephyr88
AG
While they're living at home, they should learn how:
Wash Car
Wax On
Wax Off
Paint the Fence
Paint the House
Sand the Floor

Mixed in with some baseball/softball and golf!
Ogre09
AG
Watch
Aquin
AG
1. Stamp collecting. Not too common now, but my grandfather got me started at a very early age. Started with USA and later added foreign stamps. I learned a lot of history, geography and politics and it just kind of happened without any real effort on my part. Plus after all these years, the collection is worth some money.

2. Every kid should have their own pet....fish don't count and I am dubious about birds. It has to be theirs and their responsibility. It can be a cat, dog, hamster. It will teach them responsibility. It will bring out their softer side. Plus when they are pissed at you they can pour out their troubles to the pet.

3. Yes learn a musical instrument. I did the drums and there is still a question in the minds of my family whether drums are a musical instrument. In my old age I am trying piano. I can see how it really helps with math.
Slim Isle
Buy those things while you're young so you can still see whatever the heck is written on the tiny face.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.