Retire back to campus

5,383 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Shooz in Katy
Caesar4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just ran across this feature at ASU for retirees. Seems interesting.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/01/09/high-demand-retirees-live-campus-arizona-state-university

Quote:

The residents won't be typical college students, however -- they'll be people in their 60s, 70s and up. The housing complex on the university's Tempe campus will be a retirement community with a twist -- the residents will be able to take classes, make use of campus facilities such as the library with university-issued ID cards and immerse themselves in university life as much, or as little, as they like. They'll also be encouraged to mentor and build relationships with younger students.

Quote:

Residents pay a "buy-in" fee starting at $378,500 for a one-bedroom unit and up to $810,200 for a two-bedroom penthouse. Residents also pay a monthly fee of between $4,195 and $5,570. When residents die, 85 percent of the buy-in fee is refunded to their heirs.

PlanoAg98
AG
Duncan Idaho
It is a good idea but it had better be a SNF for that kind of money.
Duncan Idaho
I'd be in for it. Provided that you can rush a frat.

You're my boy blue.
Caesar4
AG
Sounds like maybe @ ASU's Mirabella:

Quote:

The 20-story building will contain 304 apartments and cater to residents with varying health needs -- from independent living to round-the-clock care. In addition to fine and casual dining rooms, the complex will have a cocktail lounge, a fitness and aquatic center, an art studio, an art gallery, a beauty salon and spa, a library, an auditorium, several game rooms, a woodworking shop, and classroom space.
Claude!
This sounds like a marginally better idea than the ill-fated Okie State "Gift of a Lifetime" thing, but only marginally.
toolshed
AG
Good gravy!! $400-800k up front, plus 4K-5500 a month!! To live with and intermingle with woke college kids?

Ima say nah!
Picard
AG
I'm never going back to Walton, certainly not to die there!

oldschool87
AG
Picard said:

I-Ramp rules... Best dorm room on campus...
Burdizzo
AG
Imagine a bunch of 70-year-old white Aggies trying mentor young college athletes.

What could go wrong?
saw em off
PlanoAg98 said:

This deserves significantly more stars!
agnerd
AG
Almost as good as State's baseball lofts for $45k per season.
MS St lofts

Bondag
AG
toolshed said:

Good gravy!! $400-800k up front, plus 4K-5500 a month!! To live with and intermingle with woke college kids?

Ima say nah!
Looks like a way for the developer to get quick funding. I would be more concerned with the $5k a month in fees, but not sure how that compares to a senior living facility.

The up front payment is basically a loan and 85% goes to the heirs. Someone that is more educated in elderly care can help me out, but I think that you have to have a lower net worth for medicare to cover your senior living expenses. This would be a way to fund the developer while allowing the renter to get money from the government to pay their monthly fees. Then years down the road you get 85% of investment back. This would not be wise for someone on death's door, but I could see some potential financial benefit for a 65 year old that is relatively healthy and just wants to go to college sporting events every night and have a safe place to walk every day.
94DallasAG
AG
Bondag said:

toolshed said:

Ima say nah!
Looks like a way for the developer to get quick funding. I would be more concerned with the $5k a month in fees, but not sure how that compares to a senior living facility.

The up front payment is basically a loan and 85% goes to the heirs. Someone that is more educated in elderly care can help me out, but I think that you have to have a lower net worth for medicare to cover your senior living expenses. This would be a way to fund the developer while allowing the renter to get money from the government to pay their monthly fees. Then years down the road you get 85% of investment back. This would not be wise for someone on death's door, but I could see some potential financial benefit for a 65 year old that is relatively healthy and just wants to go to college sporting events every night and have a safe place to walk every day.

There's a 5 year "look back" for qualfying assets under the medicade program. In addition to a very low threshold to begin with.
Mookie
AG
Maybe that's where they can relocate the sully statue, with all the olds.
Burrus86
AG
If they did something similar at A&M, would that include "all you can eat" at Sbisa? If that is the case, when would Adult Protective Services step in?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I just spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out what SNF is but I'm afraid to look it up on urban dictionary, based on who posted that.
Duncan Idaho
Harry Lime said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I just spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out what SNF is but I'm afraid to look it up on urban dictionary, based on who posted that.

I will take fear as a compliment.

But it is "skilled nursing facility"
gomerschlep
AG
I lived right by the ASU campus for a year in my 20's.

I HIGHLY recommend it.
Eliminatus
AG
gomerschlep said:

I lived right by the ASU campus for a year in my 20's.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

TAMU likes to think it can hold a candle to any school but in terms of quantity AND quality of women, alcohol availability, and overall good adult times....Nope. ASU is amazing for a young single man. Especially one fresh back from foreign lands....

Hell, even SDSU puts TAMU to shame.
Savrola
I can just see this in Aggieland. Bunch of 80 year old guys in pots with axes running around yelling at anybody wearing a yellow shirt saying, "Give us woods!"
Waltonloads08
AG
oldschool87 said:

Picard said:

exactly, what a puss
PoohAh97
AG
Waltonloads08 said:

oldschool87 said:

Picard said:

exactly, what a puss
I-ramp ramp sux. You get the giant corner rooms like C-ramp, with the full force of afternoon sun.

K-ramp wasn't great. Now Puryear Ramp 6, that was heaven.
chimpanzee
What kind of genius Wharton grad McKinsey six sigma ninja came up with that pricing scheme? For $400k down and $4k a month, one could probably live a bit more comfortably than Moses Hall. Hopefully they would at least upgrade the toilet paper from what we had.
oldschool87
AG
PoohAh97 said:

Waltonloads08 said:

oldschool87 said:

Picard said:

exactly, what a puss
I-ramp ramp sux. You get the giant corner rooms like C-ramp, with the full force of afternoon sun.

K-ramp wasn't great. Now Puryear Ramp 6, that was heaven.

Yes because Puryear had nothing facing west... O, wait...

And we did have the corner room with 4 windows and 8 fans...
Shooz in Katy
AG
Good business scheme - has quick turnover. Most residents will catch rona from the students and die within 2 weeks of arrival.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.