Where are you getting a job

5,830 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UTExan
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Times are hard these days. Our company isn't seeing patients anymore so most of us are sitting at home hoping we still get paid. With Dallas announcing the stay at home through April and it'll probably continue to be extended, I'm looking at picking up another job so I'll continue to make money.

Looking at stocking shelves at Lowe's or Home Depot right now
EFE
AG
histag10
AG
My husband is still working, as O&G is considered essential.

I'm staying home with the kids, and not looking for a job.
Onceaggie2.0
Wal Mart is hiring.
hbc07
AG
The Small Business Administration hopefully...
Builder93
AG
These are strange times. I'm in construction, still plenty of work to do. Healthcare offices: closing up.

Usually it's other way around.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
If you have medical background, this might be an option.

Check out this job at Vighter: EMT/CNA/MA Health Screener
Dad
AG
wangus12 said:

Times are hard these days. Our company isn't seeing patients anymore so most of us are sitting at home hoping we still get paid. With Dallas announcing the stay at home through April and it'll probably continue to be extended, I'm looking at picking up another job so I'll continue to make money.

I'm pretty sure unemployment pays around $1121 a week in Texas. Are you going to make that Lowes?
nonameag99
i'm essential now, but if people don't start driving and flying again then Texas may as well shut down.
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
CharlieMike
Unemployment pays nothing close to that. I believe max is $521 a week, and good luck getting through and processed right now.
b0ridi
CharlieMike said:

Unemployment pays nothing close to that. I believe max is $521 a week, and good luck getting through and processed right now.
Stimulus package added an extra $600/week, hence $1121
Tatem
The girl in front me the other day At Kroger said she made $500 a day working for Kroger as a shopper- she was laid off and got hired quickly. I guess she knew the lady checking her out.

Good luck
Jack Cheese
AG
Tatem said:

The girl in front me the other day At Kroger said she made $500 a day working for Kroger as a shopper- she was laid off and got hired quickly. I guess she knew the lady checking her out.

Good luck

I'm sure she meant to say $500/week.
lotsofhp
AG
I bet she meant $500 a week too.

And if she did say $500 a day, I've found that people who just blurt out how much they make without anyone asking are typically exaggerators.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I've found that people who just blurt out how much they make without anyone asking are typically exaggerators.
Or into some kind of MLM scam.
Ginormus Ag
AG
If I wasn't essential I would go back to stripping and man*****ing.
Username checks out.
Slim Isle
Plantin' the back 40 now...
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I think you posted recently about getting married, so assuming you don't have kids and depending on what your role is on medical you could check out some of the contracts to work in NYC. Bust your ass for 21 days and earn $30,000 - $39,000 in a month. There's risk, but that's one option to checkout.
FNG
Roots86 said:

Is that a bonus phrase?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Drive uber/Lyft/DoorDash/Instacart/etc..
JeepWaveEarl
AG
My father in law has been in queue for over a YEAR on an unemployment claim.
Tatem
b0ridi said:

CharlieMike said:

Stimulus package added an extra $600/week, hence $1121

Uh
I think I need to go on unemployment
Stupe
S
aggie-beta said:

wangus12 said:

I'm pretty sure unemployment pays around $1121 a week in Texas. Are you going to make that Lowes?
One is willing to to stock shelves to earn a paycheck.
"Beta" is good with an unemployment check.
Ragoo
AG
Stupe said:

aggie-beta said:

wangus12 said:

one is resignation that full employment is unlikely, one is a benefit you've paid taxes to receive while having the time to find full employment.

But go ahead and judge.
Stupe
S
Quote:

But go ahead and judge.
Thank you for your permission.
rhoswen
AG
I've thought about picking up part time hours at a grocery store just to make some extra cash. I'm still getting paid, and I don't want to take a position from someone who needs it. That being said I don't see my waitress/bartending friends rushing out to work at Kroger....
Dad
AG
Stupe said:

aggie-beta said:

wangus12 said:

I would hate to see this person work for $500 a week when they can make double that not working. Hell, do unemployment and do some side work for cash if needed to make ends meet and feed your family.

I am eager to get back to work full time but I pay more in taxes per year than the average person makes so I don't mind getting some of that tax/UI money back if I was eligible. I have never been on unemployment a day in my life.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If you have any type of skills for digital work go to Upwork, Fiverr or both and see about becoming a freelancer. I got laid off from a job in 2013 and started freelancing while looking for a new one and staying at home with my then 1-year-old twins. Seven years later, I am still freelancing and making a lot more than I ever could have in a 9-to-5 job. It can be a grind, but so far I've had more work during the quarantine as bigger businesses are seeking to shore up projects that have been on the back burner until they suddenly had oceans of free time.

Anything from coding to writing to graphic design to customer rep to formatting to 100 other things are on there. Fiver has a Pro program that takes some time to gain entry to, but its normal program and Upworks don't take any more time than a couple of hours to fill out your profile and start applying for projects.
wangus12
AG
aggie-beta said:

wangus12 said:

I'm not unemployed. We're still drawing a paycheck currently, although who knows how long till the money stops flowing. Figured this was a chance to get ahead by picking up more work for the next month or two.

We're prepping to buy our first house so every bit helps
Swarely
Body By Fisher said:

Quote:

I've found that people who just blurt out how much they make without anyone asking are typically exaggerators.

I haven't heard from the Essential Oils people lately.
normaleagle05
AG
FNG said:

Roots86 said:

Is that a bonus phrase?

That's a Barnes sock.
histag10
AG
Swarely said:

Body By Fisher said:

Quote:

I haven't heard from the Essential Oils people lately.

They arent currently selling, as they have hoarded their own merchandise. It is, afterall, their only line of defense for their unvaccinated children.
Win At Life
AG
Roots86 said:

Why don't you give it 41 so she can enjoy it too.
george1992
wangus12 said:

aggie-beta said:

wangus12 said:

I'm not unemployed. We're still drawing a paycheck currently, although who knows how long till the money stops flowing. Figured this was a chance to get ahead by picking up more work for the next month or two.

We're prepping to buy our first house so every bit helps
I've got a doctor client that is part owners in some ERs over in Tyler and also Galveston. They are swamped and likely looking for good help. Now you would have to go to one of those places although the trip to Tyler isn't that bad. He commutes from Colorado Springs so your commute wouldn't be too bad.
JoeAggie5
I believe Amazon's warehouse in Dallas is hiring. I hear it can be grueling, but if you are willing to work retail, Amazon can't be any worse.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.