Anybody Have a Good, Easy, Made from Scratch Cake Recipe?

1,577 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by javajaws
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Obligatory

Now that's over with, looking for a basic cake to adorn with fruit and cream, but hate to buy a mix.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Regarding posting actual cans.

Tanya 93
Like vanilla?

Chocolate?

Red Velvet?
UTExan
Tanya 93 said:

Like vanilla?

Chocolate?

Red Velvet?

Vanilla, I think. Possibility of even adorning it with leftover ice cream and berries comes to mind as a dessert.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Tanya 93
UTExan said:

Tanya 93 said:

Like vanilla?

Chocolate?

Red Velvet?

Vanilla, I think. Possibility of even adorning it with leftover ice cream and berries comes to mind as a dessert.
I have an online reading session in a few minutes, but I will get my grandmother's vanilla cake for you after that.

People are reading The Hobbit!
redd38
AG
1) buy a box of cake mix
2) pour all the ingredients listed on the box into a bowl
3) mix
4) pour the mixed ingredients into a cake pan and cook as prescribed on the box

That's an old family recipe though, so keep it to yourself
PneumAg
I have a good cream pie recipe, OP.
Tanya 93
Heat oven to 350 degrees

Mix together 2 sticks of softened, unsalted butter and 1 cup of sifted white sugar until blended
Add two room temperature large eggs and beat on low until mixed

Sift into another bowl 2 cups of cake flour, 2 3/4 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1 teaspoon of salt

Add alternating small amounts of the flour blend with small amounts of 1 cup of buttermilk mixed with 2 teaspoons of vanilla to the egg and sugar mix, beating slowly. Once all it is incorporated, add 1/3 of a cup of sparkling water until everything is well blended.

Pour into 2 greased and floured 8 inch square pans (you can also use round)

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean and the edges are light brown

Let cool and remove from pan for decorating
King moto moto
AG

Tanya 93 said:

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Mix together 2 sticks of softened, unsalted butter and 1 cup of sifted white sugar until blended

Sift into another bowl 2 cups of cake flour, 2 3/4 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1 teaspoon of salt

Add alternating small amounts of the flour blend with small amounts of 1 cup of buttermilk mixed with 2 teaspoons of vanilla to the egg and sugar mix, beating slowly. Once all it is incorporated, add 1/3 of a cup of sparkling water until everything is well blended.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes clean and the edges are light brown

You are so hot when you talk dirty like that....
UTExan
Tanya 93 said:

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Thanks, Tanya. I will try that, I have had mixed success with cakes although I seem to do well with breads and cookies. I absolutely despise mixes.

Edit to ask why the sparkling water when you have buttermilk and baking soda?
Tanya 93
UTExan said:

Tanya 93 said:

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Thanks, Tanya. I will try that, I have had mixed success with cakes although I seem to do well with breads and cookies. I absolutely despise mixes.
If you like a sweeter cake, you might want to add a bit more sugar. I like this because the buttermilk tones down the sweetness
UTExan
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Tanya 93
UTExan said:

Tanya 93 said:

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Edit to ask why the sparkling water when you have buttermilk and baking soda?
It makes it even more tender and fluffy. I personally think she didn't have enough buttermilk sometimes, so she started subbing that after trial and error
Big Tuna
This Boston Cream Pie recipe won me some award at a charity auction

https://www.food.com/recipe/wicked-good-boston-cream-pie-499178
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
UTExan
C@LAg said:

1. Buy box of cake mix.
2. Buy bottle of tequila.
3. Pour cake mix into garbage.
4. Drink tequila.

if you drink enough, you will forget you never had a cake,.

You are welcome.

You cannot get good tequila in the US. I have a tequila certificate of snobbery which says so,
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
UTExan
C@LAg said:

UTExan said:

C@LAg said:

1. Buy box of cake mix.
2. Buy bottle of tequila.
3. Pour cake mix into garbage.
4. Drink tequila.

if you drink enough, you will forget you never had a cake,.

You are welcome.

You cannot get good tequila in the US. I have a tequila certificate of snobbery which says so,
let me guess. you think IPAs are the pinnacle of beer making.

Funny you should say that. I was drinking an Apocalypse IPA this very evening. One can only have Negra Modelo so long before one needs a break!
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
UTExan
Of course it could argued that IPAs are best enjoyed by people who have actually performed some physical labor.
rhoswen
AG
I made a quatro leches cake today. Chillin in the fridge
fta09
AG
I like this girl's recipes. Her stuff tends to be on the sweet side, though, so you can cut back on the sugar if you're not a big sweet tooth. If you like to read more about why this ratio or that ingredient makes it work, www.seriouseats.com has some good stuff, too.
TyHolden
AG
redd38 said:

1) buy a box of cake mix
2) pour all the ingredients listed on the box into a bowl
3) mix
4) pour the mixed ingredients into a cake pan and cook as prescribed on the box

That's an old family recipe though, so keep it to yourself
they typically require an egg...which errybuddy always forgets.
javajaws
AG
I have a hand me down buttermilk poundcake recipe that is the bomb but it would require real cans to entice me to write it up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.