Last time you were knocked unconscious?

5,270 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FNG
Sailor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LOL, yep, all the time. He was just from that generation - tough as nails. He's still with us, turns 91 in May.
JABQ04
AG
Eliminatus said:

2008. Afghanistan.

Would not mind knowing the location of the sum***** who did it.

Twinkie's.

2008. May 10. Iraq

I guess non "work" related was my vasectomy in Nov. 2019. Didn't think they would put me under but it happened.
RC_57
AG
Other than having a camera shoved up my azz ...

1994. Walked away from an airplane crash
FNG
RC_57 said:

Details?
zephyr88
AG
30 years ago.
Sailboat boom malfunction/accident.
Out for less than a minute.
Ended up with 10 stitches.
No charges, just lessons learned.
Tree Hugger
AG
Back surgery a little over two years ago.

My last thought before I went out was that I felt sorry for the folks that would have to transfer my then 300+ pound ass from the gurney to the operating platform, didn't really look like a table, more like a sex rack. Luckily, my ass felt normal when I woke up.
FNG
Tree Hugger said:

My last thought before I went out was that I felt sorry for the folks that would have to transfer my then 300+ pound ass from the gurney to the operating platform, didn't really look like a table, more like a sex rack. Luckily, my ass felt normal when I woke up.

I don't like seeing the room before surgery. I like it when they prep me in a pre-op room or once I even got prepped in the hall.

Some of those instruments look like the creepy instruments that black market surgeon used on The Joker (Jack Nicholson) in that first Michael Keaton "Batman" movie.
Tree Hugger
AG
FNG said:

Tree Hugger said:

I don't like seeing the room before surgery. I like it when they prep me in a pre-op room or once I even got prepped in the hall.

Some of those instruments look like the creepy instruments that black market surgeon used on The Joker (Jack Nicholson) in that first Michael Keaton "Batman" movie.
I was on my second "margarita" as the anesthesiologist called it when they wheeled my in, I remember going in, but nothing else until I woke up in recovery.
RC_57
AG
FNG said:

RC_57 said:

Details?
Ok, so the year was 1994, I think late spring, early summer.

Took off from Conroe airport in my Star-Lite SL-1 (low wing, single passenger, tail dragger) and was just out buzzing around over Lake Conroe.

Was probably about 20, 30 minutes into my flight, a little over 1,000' feet up when the engine said "Good night".

No sputter, cough, last dying gasp, ...

Nothing.

Just dies.

So instincts kick in: settle into best glide rate, try to restart engine (nope, didn't), and look for place to land.

Now the good thing is, the plane had (key word) a low stall speed (when it would quit flying) of about 28 mph (top speed well over 100) and would glide for a while.

So I had some time.

I thought to myself, nope, don't want to try landing in Walden, too many overhead lines.

Landing in the water with fixed gear is iffy. Many times the gear will catch the water and flip you over onto the lid.

And I lived in April Sound at the time, and there was a lot of undeveloped plots on the south end near 105.

So that's what I aimed for.

Unfortunately, I wasn't quite high enough, and wasn't going to make it to that area.

So I headed towards hole #8, a long par 5 with a slight dogleg (I was "playing" the hole backwards)

Everything was going well, and as I started flaring for the landing, looking to clear the area (yes, I see you on the tee, dropping your club and your jaw), everything going great

Well, a last minute correction to raise out of my slip (landing technique), my left wing tip hooked a mound on the side of the fairway, and I cartwheeled to a stop, flipped over onto the plane's canopy.

Next thing I remember, voices saying "You need to get out of there" (No sheyat). And they reach up and unsnap the 4-pt harness, which lets me promptly fall back onto my head (again)

Walked (stumbled) away a bit dazed, and ended up with about 5 stitches in my head.

And no, I ain't, this isn't no MFBarnes story
chipotle
FNG
RC_57 said:

FNG said:

RC_57 said:

Details?
Ok, so the year was 1994, I think late spring, early summer.

Took off from Conroe airport in my Star-Lite SL-1 (low wing, single passenger, tail dragger) and was just out buzzing around over Lake Conroe.

Was probably about 20, 30 minutes into my flight, a little over 1,000' feet up when the engine said "Good night".

No sputter, cough, last dying gasp, ...

Nothing.

Just dies.

So instincts kick in: settle into best glide rate, try to restart engine (nope, didn't), and look for place to land.

Now the good thing is, the plane had (key word) a low stall speed (when it would quit flying) of about 28 mph (top speed well over 100) and would glide for a while.

So I had some time.

I thought to myself, nope, don't want to try landing in Walden, too many overhead lines.

Landing in the water with fixed gear is iffy. Many times the gear will catch the water and flip you over onto the lid.

And I lived in April Sound at the time, and there was a lot of undeveloped plots on the south end near 105.

So that's what I aimed for.

Unfortunately, I wasn't quite high enough, and wasn't going to make it to that area.

So I headed towards hole #8, a long par 5 with a slight dogleg (I was "playing" the hole backwards)

Everything was going well, and as I started flaring for the landing, looking to clear the area (yes, I see you on the tee, dropping your club and your jaw), everything going great

Well, a last minute correction to raise out of my slip (landing technique), my left wing tip hooked a mound on the side of the fairway, and I cartwheeled to a stop, flipped over onto the plane's canopy.

Next thing I remember, voices saying "You need to get out of there" (No sheyat). And they reach up and unsnap the 4-pt harness, which lets me promptly fall back onto my head (again)

Walked (stumbled) away a bit dazed, and ended up with about 5 stitches in my head.

And no, I ain't, this isn't no MFBarnes story

Holy crap again!!!!!!

Glad you kept your cool and stayed with us!!!!
Slicer97
AG
Dog-Faced Pony Soldier said:

How long were you out and did you press charges?

About 30 or so seconds.

I did not press charges as I had my doubts that the court would take my case against the horse that threw me very seriously. And the horse was young and had no money to go after.
spaceaggie1975
AG
First grade. Moms shared taking us to school in the morning. The mom driving that morning tried to swat a bee that flew into the window (few cars had AC back in '59). Well she drove the car into a telephone pole. Knocked me out for 2 or 3 days. Finally woke up in the hospital. My sorry older brothers told me that a telephone pole jumped out in the street and the lady hit it. I was gullible to believe them. It did happen on cartoons so it seemed possible. Several years later my mom told me about the bee.
TequilaMockingbird
Does erotic asphyxiation count?
AquaCasaAg
AG
2017. Passenger in a utv that missed a turn coming down a mountain in New Mexico. Was ejected when it rolled. Out for a few minutes...needed 9 staples in my head.
Dad
AG
Never
Sweep4-2
Besides surgery, never been 'knocked out'.

But took a short nap via a choke a year or so ago. Had no clue that it even happened. Didn't press charges because I had only myself to blame for not tapping.
FNG
Sweep4-2 said:

Besides surgery, never been 'knocked out'.

But took a short nap via a choke a year or so ago. Had no clue that it even happened. Didn't press charges because I had only myself to blame for not tapping.

Cans?
The Shank Ag
Basketball game, senior year of high school, I went up for a dunk from further away than I ever should have tried, slammed the ball into the front of the rim, and fell backwards to everyone in the gym laughing.

Fast forward to our "senior skit" at the end of the year one May morning. Each team/club groups together in uniform/matching tshirts, does a little 10 second skit, then hugs. Well my teammates thought it would be fun to recreate my failed dunk. They pretended to pass the ball around and then pretended to throw up an ally oop. I then jumped and fell backwards to recreate my part. But I sold it too much. I land flat on my back and then the back of my head bounces off the stage. I don't go completely out but something was definitely wrong. From this point forward, all I remember are bits and pieces of that morning/afternoon and have been told the rest by others.

All the teams/clubs sing the school song and my teammates and I go back to the locker room to change out of our jerseys and shorts. They are all saying how great I sold it and laughing about it. I then ask them what class I had next period, being completely serious. They think I'm joking. I end up walking into the wrong classroom and apparently looked beyond dazed. The teacher walks me to the nurse. I go to the hospital, severe concussion. I am asked to remember three things and repeat them back to the doctor. I cant. About 4PM after a day of medical tests I'm released. First thing I remember is being in line at Dairy Queen to eat a really late lunch.

Was supposed to go to Billy Bob's that night, wasn't able to. Was supposed to go to Mavericks game the next night with my sister, but she was afraid I would go to the bathroom and not know where my seats were.

Crazy how concussions can really wipe out memory.
FNG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.