LEGO question?

3,905 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Satellite of Love
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not really into Legos but wanted to buy my kid some.

I searched on Amazon and all I found were the kind where you build things like Star Wars models, etc

Do they not sell the old school block legos anymore? Any info appreciated for this LEGO amateur
chipotle
Legos are used for currency in some countries.

However, if you have a local facebook garage sale group i often see legos being sold from parents unloading their kid's crap.
TexAg2001
AG
Look on Lego's website https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/classic
jetch17
AG
im thinking about getting the Saturn V for the 'rona lockdown
aTm2004
AG
My 6 year old is into Legos and it seems like my wife has a box arriving every effing week of something new for her to build. He literally has zero space in her room to put anything else, but a giant Frozen castle arrived today and she's working on that right now since she did well this morning with the assignments her teacher provided to her class.
JoeAggie5
Oh they very much sell them.

I think even for the right price you can find any color you want like Maroon.
Jackal99
AG
jetch17 said:

Get it. I got it a few weeks ago, before the lockdown, and it was awesome. I spread it out over a few days, but it can easily be done in a day or longer than the time I took. It's over three feet tall. It was out of stock on Lego's website, and Amazon had it listed with original box delivery only (meaning no shipping box, just a label slapped on the Lego box), but I found it on Barnes and Noble for the same price and had some B&N gift cards, so bingo.
Bondag
AG
jetch17 said:

My cousin's 7 year old kid built that over a weekend.
jetch17
AG
just looks like a fun bourbon & building project, although i feel like ill want it to myself and wont be able to keep the kids out of it. I GUESS i could let them help *huffs*
Jackal99
AG
jetch17 said:

just looks like a fun bourbon & building project, although i feel like ill want it to myself and wont be able to keep the kids out of it. I GUESS i could let them help *huffs*
Yeah, I had this problem, too. Kiddo helped a little, but then he went back to building his own Minecraft Legos.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Legos are one of the best parts about having kids.
TxSquarebody
Fun fact: The plural of Lego is Lego.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
T&Ps for your feet.
aggie4231
AG
TxSquarebody said:

Fun fact: The plural of Lego is Lego.

Came here to post this.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
WorthAg95
AG
Start with a "creative brick box" and go from there. The boxes/sets/suitcases of bricks come with a book of ideas and instructions.

Oops about posting a thumbs down. Meant to be a thumbs up.
Satellite of Love
OP visit bricklink.com. Open up your wallet and enjoy!
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
It is Federal law that if your kid leaves a Lego out and you step on it in the middle of the night, with your bare foot, you are allowed to beat the holy hell out of your child!
MisterScott
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

I searched on Amazon and all I found were the kind where you build things like Star Wars models, etc

Do they not sell the old school block legos anymore? Any info appreciated for this LEGO amateur
A few weeks ago Costoco has some bulk lego's for sale. Brought back memories of youth before the high dollar kits of today? Might check their website.
Class of 1996
gigemJTH12
AG
Very helpful everyone. Thank you!
SockDePot
jetch17 said:

Delivered tonight. Told the childrens we'd to 1hr a night
62strat
AG
What's wrong with a Star Wars LEGO kit? My kids have never seen any of the movies that LEGO has sets for, but they still like them. We did get the 500 piece box or whatever for our 4 year old. It has a book of random stuff you can build.

My other kid completed a 920 piece Harry Potter castle in about 4 sittings 100% by himself* just after turning 5. Pretty proud of him.

* I did put the stickers on.. he can do it but they end up crooked and he likes them to be straight so he has me do them. Other than that, zero intervention or assistance from anyone.

He has no idea what Harry Potter is, as far as I can tell.
scd88
AG
Y'all whippersnappers and your LEGO "kits."

When I was a kid in the '70's one built their LEGO empire by amassing pieces. Of course they came in box sets, but they were not preset for a particular build.

You had to use your imagination to make stuff and it was great. I used the same Lego's from my childhood with my kids and still have them today.

The best was making stuff and combining Lego's with Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. Loved being a kid.
Bird Poo
AG
There are some cool paperback books you can get online that have instructions for all kinds of things to build with your existing legos.
aggie4231
AG
I still have all the LEGO from my childhood. Wish I had some of the instructions so that I could build some of the sets.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
62strat
AG
aggie4231 said:

I still have all the LEGO from my childhood. Wish I had some of the instructions so that I could build some of the sets.
My brother kept all his kits from early 80s in pristine condition.

He recently parted with just a box from a certain set.. he got a few hundred for it on ebay lol. Just THE BOX.

He's a major lego enthusiast, collector and flipper, in case yall didn't know there was such a thing. His most successful flip was some limited edition starwars set. He bought it, it was discontinued, he built it, held on to it for many years. He decided to sell it, and sure enough a few months later, they re-released it.. so that buyer got screwed.

He paid maybe $300ish and sold for a couple grand.

He has anywhere from 80-100 sets usually at once.. all packed away in the box in garage lego filing system. His 6 and 8 year old are of course all into it.

62strat
AG
scd88 said:

Y'all whippersnappers and your LEGO "kits."

When I was a kid in the '70's one built their LEGO empire by amassing pieces. Of course they came in box sets, but they were not preset for a particular build.

You had to use your imagination to make stuff and it was great. I used the same Lego's from my childhood with my kids and still have them today.

The best was making stuff and combining Lego's with Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. Loved being a kid.
Wrong, kits began in the 50s. 1949 was generic sets of blocks, but it's been specific kits since then (in addition to just boxes of blocks)

https://www.toysperiod.com/lego-set-reference/by-decade/1950s/
https://www.toysperiod.com/lego-set-reference/by-decade/1960s/
https://www.toysperiod.com/lego-set-reference/by-decade/1970s/

My bro got into it in 1982 and it was def. kits...the yellow castle, pirate ships, etc.

1978:

1956:

Your parents probably just got you the box of blocks.
scd88
AG
Yeah, you're right. I wasn't clear. I remember there being kits; just never got them.
chipotle
I call'em Legos. DGAF
agz win
AG
Lincoln Logs or GTFO!!
scd88
AG
agz win said:

Lincoln Logs or GTFO!!

What? No. What is the matter with you?
Jackal99
AG
agz win said:

Lincoln Logs or GTFO!!

Just make sure those damn kids stay off your lawn, gramps.
malenurse
AG
bh93 said:

T&Ps for your feet.
Vernada
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Search for Lego Classic. Lots of options.
Satellite of Love
agz win said:

Lincoln Logs or GTFO!!

I found the poor person in the thread.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.