Let me tell you a story about 3 heroes I know

3,422 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aeon-ag
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Back in November 2011, I posted this topic on General - thoughts and prayers for my wife and our unborn twins - she was suffering unknown bleeding at 16 weeks pregnant.

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/1987628/1

Lots of people gave generously of their prayers, and as it turned out, we would we need every one of them. At 23 weeks, the sac of Twin A ruptured and started to lose fluid. My wife was admitted to the hospital. Unfortunately her doctor was out of town so we had to rely on others to tell us what was going on. The plan was to keep her in bed and getting pumped full of fluids and keep the babies inside of her as long as possible.

At the time most hospitals were not resuscitating babies born before 24 weeks, but my wife had researched them and picked one that was equipped with a NICU for micro-preemies just in case. Twin B's sac was intact and the hope was to keep her inside the tummy as long as possible, even if Twin A came early. Most of the staff doubted it would be more than 24 hours before Twin A would be born.

That first night, a female doctor who has the worst bedside manner of anyone I've ever seen stopped by to check on my wife, then said that there was our daughters probably had less than a 5% chance of being born "normal". At that point I told her to get the **** out of the room.

Instead of 24 hours though, my wife held out and held the babies in for 24, then 36, then 48, then 60, then 72, then 84, then 96 hours. At 23 weeks, 5 days, Twin A was ready to come out, so the doctors gave my wife a dose of magnesium which would help the babies keep their head shape intact during premature delivery. The downside being that for the mother it felt "like you're on fire.'

So my wife toughed it out with the epidural and we all got into the delivery room. Twin A was born on the second push, measuring 1 lb. 4 oz and measuring 11. 5 inches long. Twin B was not interested in coming out but unfortunately my wife had lost a ton of blood and was running a fever. She got a transfusion, but Baby B had to come out now, or risk getting the fever as well, with no immune system to speak of.

Thus began me lying to my wife that "this is the last push" about 150 times in a row. Twin B was born 2 hours and 24 minutes after Twin A at 1 lb, 8 oz. and 12 inches long. She was healthy enough for them to put her foot in the ink pad and put the impression on my surgical hat. Her entire foot was smaller than my thumb.

Twin A suffered a Grade II and a Grade IV brain bleed. At 9 days of age she was lifeflighted to the Houston Medical Center for a perforated intestine. Both girls had heart surgery in the first 3 months they were alive. They both also has a revolutionary eye surgery to prevent blindness associated with micro-preemies.
My wife suffered some post-delivery problems and had to have emergency surgery two months after delivery. She was in the same hospital as our girls but couldn't go see them for almost a week, it was agonizing.

Twin B came home after 126 days in the NICU. Twin A joined her after 142 days. Both have some health problems that other kids their age do not.But they have thrived beyond any reasonable expectation from those early, dark days.

Unfortunately there's a hard ceiling on the invitation list. Otherwise I'd invite you all to their 8th birthday party on Sunday.

TL;DR = my wife and daughters are the best

Flashdiaz
AG
damn is it allergy season in here...

awesome story and even better outcome!
Claude!
Happy birthday, kiddos.
Tanya 93
Happy Birthday!

SPOIL THEM ROTTEN!
T Durden
AG
Did the female doc ever redeem herself?

Congratulations on the twins! This is a wonderful story.
Jack Klompus
AG
Post a pic
LEJ
Agfootball10
AG
Thank you for the story! It is incredible what they are able to do in the NICU these days.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lucy & Leia
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lucy & Leia
Uh, no.

Sorry, not comfortable posting pix of my kids on a public forum.

Female b8tch doctor would come by and say things like "Oh, keep proving me wrong!" After we went home for good, my wife made an appointment and discussed her behavior with the head of staff of the hospital. She was moved out of the NICU
T Durden
AG
I'm glad you guys did prove her very wrong.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Outstanding
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Huh? Not sure where you got me asking for pics.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
hat tip and more to all!
BostonAg74
As the father of two preemies, I can tell you that I would not wish that experience on anyone, but at the same time, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. There is so much fear and uncertainty at what should be a joyful time, but the eventual rewards are incalculable. To experience the extraordinary compassion of the NICU nurses as they care for your child as if it was their own, to bond with the parents of other preemies as we celebrate milestones for each other's children, are experiences we will treasure forever. But the greatest reward is that every birthday and milestone in your child's life takes you back to those early days, and you swell with pride at how far your child has come. Our favorite picture from the time my oldest daughter was born is one when she was just a couple of days old and still weighing just under two pounds, with the nurse holding her up for the camera, swaddled in a blanket and peeking out from under a cap with a determined look on her face, not crying, not smiling, but looking directly at the camera, with her little fist thrust defiantly into the air. Whenever I read one of these posts about a tiny baby beating the odds and claiming the life they were destined to have, I think of my daughter's little fist thrusting in the air. No doctor can measure or predict a child's determination to survive.

Your family deserves the happiest of celebrations. Happy birthday to your girls, and congratulations to you, your wife, and your daughters for not only surviving the journey that got you to this milestone, but thriving from the strength you developed along the way.
RiskManager93
AG
My niece was born 4/4/90, weighing 1 pound 11 ounces. Her middle name is Faith because that is what sustained us. It's incredible how far medicine has come in the last thirty years.

Our sons were born at 27 weeks and weighed 3 pounds 6 ounces and 2 lbs 12 ounces each. They'll be 12 in May.

God bless you, your daughters, and your entire family.
Ragoo
AG
Wow. Thanks for sharing. Our twins were born 6 weeks early and we were in the NICU for nearly 3 weeks. I cannot imagine what life was like for you 8 years ago. Bless your wife and bless you for being a rock of a man.
jm94
AG
We got lucky with our twins - 35 weeks, 6 days. They were sent up to the NICU as a precaution, and less than an hour later the NICU said no thanks, they don't belong here.

Sorry you had to go through what you did. Ugh.
BostonAg74
jm94 said:

We got lucky with our twins - 35 weeks, 6 days. They were sent up to the NICU as a precaution, and less than an hour later the NICU said no thanks, they don't belong here.

Sorry you had to go through what you did. Ugh.
I remember when you used to keep a blog on your twins development. How old are they now?
jm94
AG
11 1/2
Their sister will be 10(!) in a couple of months.
normaleagle05
AG
Wow. Great outcome.

My twin nieces nearly killed my sister coming into this world at 27 weeks. One via gravity and one via C-Section. Everyone is healthy at 6 years later come June.

Sister and BIL didn't talk about my sister's situation post op for a long time. Long story short, a lot of incompetence nearly killed her a second time. They limited access to themselves and focused on the girls at the time. Very difficult times.

It worked out, but it wasn't easy.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Here's perspective that every Aggie can use to understand how tiny they were. This is Twin A about 2 weeks after she was born with my ring as perspective.

Brian, I was answering multiple questions in one post, not implying you wanted a picture.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why the no? I was not implying that was their actual names. Just making a reference I thought you'd appreciate as the biggest SW fan on this board.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Some things are bigger than Star Wars, I guess.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well I'm sorry if I offended you. Glad your girls are doing well.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'm not offended at all, let's stop derailing the thread.
Ragoo
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Female b8tch doctor would come by and say things like "Oh, keep proving me wrong!" After we went home for good, my wife made an appointment and discussed her behavior with the head of staff of the hospital. She was moved out of the NICU
missed this note. I cannot imagine what that felt like. We were at Methodist in NW Houston. The NICU nurses were absolute angels. They were encouraging, caring, mentors, etc. I never once felt like they thought the well being of my kids was in doubt. Comments like above would have been a constant gut punch to an already emotionally difficult situation.
Tatem
That's an amazing story! Your wife sounds tough

Thanks for making me cry
anaggieshusband
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ragoo said:

MuckRaker96 said:

missed this note. I cannot imagine what that felt like. We were at Methodist in NW Houston. The NICU nurses were absolute angels. They were encouraging, caring, mentors, etc. I never once felt like they thought the well being of my kids was in doubt. Comments like above would have been a constant gut punch to an already emotionally difficult situation.
98% of the personnel at Memorial City and big Hermann were unbelievable. Staff at each hospital saved Twin A's life during her stay on separate occasions. A night nurse at Memorial City recognized she was filling up with air and had a perforated intestine when she was 8 days old, the same day we had them baptized in case they didn't make it.

When you have a child in the NICU and the phone rings at 1 a.m., there's no question who is on the other end. They Lifeflighted her to Big Hermann and did a Penrose drain on her to let the air escape. It was very touch and go. We we really lucky there, but then they were at 2 different hospitals for the next 6 weeks - one in West Houston, one in the Medical Center.

I remember one morning drive to Big Hermann before work, parking in the garage and straight-out running from there across the skybridge up to the NICU to take some milk my wife had pumped for Twin A. I then ran all the way back to the car. Parking Garage charge? $11 for 16 minutes

Before they were discharged, we got their pictures taken with the first two night nurses to take care of them. Another nurse was my wife's absolute lifeline between her fears and what was really going on. She meant everything to us. We saw her a few years later at a NICU reunion that Mem City put on, and when she and my wife saw each other, they embraced like lifelong friends seeing each other for the first time in 50 years.

Two different doctors delivered our girls because they were born so far apart. The second one openly prayed in the delivery room and told my wife "God isn't going to let your little girls die today." Two summers ago my wife took our girls to that doctor's office to say hi and having not seen Twin B since she was discharged from the hospital, the doctor who delivered Twin B pointed right at her and said "That's my baby." These people's names are emblazoned in my wife and my memories forever, we could never pay them back, although the insurance company did.

Sometimes at work I'd get on my HR website and see what their medical costs were up to. Twin A always had about a $60,000 lead because of the Life Flight, but I'm pretty sure when my company switched insurance the following year, it was because of my family.

Ragoo
AG
Thanks for sharing your story. Humanity isn't lost in this world. Your family is proof.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Our 3#10oz preemie will be 23 this year.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
aeon-ag
God kept them alive and has a plan for them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.