Bad decision of the day

5,714 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by B-1 83
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

She declined the state's offer of 20 years in prison and chose for a jury to decide her punishment.

Quote:

The district attorney said the jury deliberated for about 1 1/2 hours, sending out only one question: "What is the difference between 99 years and life?"

https://www.news-journal.com/news/police/upshur-county-jury-sentences-smith-county-woman-to-years-in/article_e39d2976-3e19-11ea-a662-f770790f3cdd.html
tk for tu juan
javajaws
AG
Says her minimum sentence would have been 15 years. So she went to a jury for only a possible 5 year reduction vs possible life?

What is she, stupid?

Wait...don't answer that.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Well....bye, Felisha
PneumAg
The article says it was a charge of "drug possession with intent to deliver."

Unless she was part of some ruthless criminal organization and connected a bunch of misers or something, 99 years seems a tad excessive. Hell, 20 years seems excessive.
Tomdoss92
AG
PneumAg said:

Unless she was part of some ruthless criminal organization and connected a bunch of misers or something, 99 years seems a tad excessive. Hell, 20 years seems excessive.
i think the four prior felony conviction probably didn't help.
PneumAg
Tomdoss92 said:

PneumAg said:

Regardless of prior convictions. I don't think you should go to prison for 99 years, or even for 20 years, if your crime was just possessing and selling drugs.

Unless, like I said above, the person is part of a criminal enterprise and connected to other crimes, or something like that.
GarryowenAg
AG
Ha! She got what she deserved. She made all the wrong decisions. #Darwin
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Unless, like I said above, the person is part of a criminal enterprise and connected to other crimes, or something like that.

It's a shame jurors don't have access to that kind of information or the insight to ask such questions.
PneumAg
Body By Fisher said:

Quote:

It's a shame jurors don't have access to that kind of information or the insight to ask such questions.

1. If the jury had that information, it would be public at this point, and it probably would have been included in the article. Sounds like she was just on her own.

2. Jurors don't get to ask substantive questions like that.
FIDO*98*
AG
I tend to agree. Not adjusting for inflation it's going to cost taxpayers a million and a half dollars to imprison her assuming she makes it to age 80 or so. I think there would have to be a better solution
GarryowenAg
AG
You're right. Execution would probably be justified at that point.

I kid, I kid.
Not a Bot
AG
There was a sentencing trial. The jury was presented with evidence.

I agree that the sentence seems excessive, but meth is a huge problem in Upshur county. Jury sent a big message. Not that any of the fried-head dolts will be able to process the message.
fwheightsboy
AG
I have dealt with these situations for years, and I am still amazed at the bad decisions people make. They would rather listen to other inmates or friends than the lawyer. Very frustrating when you are trying to save people from themselves, they won't listen and end up with a disastrous result. Worst example I knew of was a guy who turned down 2 years, with credit for 17 months. Went to trial and got 60 years. You cannot impose logic on illogical people.
Dread Pirate Roberts
PneumAg said:

Tomdoss92 said:

PneumAg said:

Regardless of prior convictions. I don't think you should go to prison for 99 years, or even for 20 years, if your crime was just possessing and selling drugs.

While I agree with most of what you're saying, she is her own criminal enterprise and has been connected to multiple other crimes.

She needs something more as she has a problem, but I don't know how dying in prison helps.
Kanyes psychiatrist
fwheightsboy said:

I have dealt with these situations for years, and I am still amazed at the bad decisions people make. They would rather listen to other inmates or friends than the lawyer. Very frustrating when you are trying to save people from themselves, they won't listen and end up with a disastrous result. Worst example I knew of was a guy who turned down 2 years, with credit for 17 months. Went to trial and got 60 years. You cannot impose logic on illogical people.
Damn that's sad.
aglaohfour
AG
Quote:

Byrd said that on May 26, 2018, Williams was a passenger in a car stopped for displaying multiple registrations and mismatched license plates.

Talk about bad decisions. Seems like if you're planning to drive around with a bunch of meth you would make sure not to give the cops any reason to pull you over.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
99 years?! Kid diddlers don't even get half of that.
agnerd
AG
Good lesson here: don't commit crimes in counties that have very conservative political leanings. They tend to hand down sentences closer to the maximum than the minimum. Commit your crimes in big cities where you're likely to get a more liberal jury that will be more lenient. For reference:

AgEng06
AG
Or, you know...

aggiebrad94
AG
fwheightsboy said:

As a Financial Advisor, my favorite expert source was my client's, dad's co-worker....a taxi driver.
toucan82
should've called Saul
Unemployed
AG
PneumAg said:

Tomdoss92 said:

PneumAg said:

Obviously, she didn't learn her lesson the previous times she got busted for felonies.

The sentence is for her stupidity and not her actual crime.
EliteZags
AG
Meth possession?
a victimless crime
Not a Bot
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

99 years?! Kid diddlers don't even get half of that.

They do in Upshur county if a jury sentences you.
Quote:

The jury took less than 30 minutes to sentence Mark Randall Beasley to four separate life sentences for each Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child offense and 20 years for the Indecency of a Child offense. The Judge then ordered these sentenced to be served consecutively (stacked) meaning Mr. Beasley will not be eligible for parole until the year 2148.

https://www.kltv.com/story/38480864/diana-sex-offender-gets-four-life-sentences-20-extra-years/

permabull
AG
cuz-i-can
AG
Tomdoss92 said:

PneumAg said:

Walking into the jail with an additional 7 grams of meth, while on PAROLE, doesn't help her case either....
redass89
aggiebrad94 said:

fwheightsboy said:

As a Financial Advisor, my favorite expert source was my client's, dad's co-worker....a taxi driver.

Hits too close to home
B-1 83
AG
I was the foreman of a jury that gave a guy 30 years for his 7th DWI. He'd been offered 20, and could have gotten life.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.