HR worried about employee driving a 2005 Camry

10,748 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by gig em 02
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bmc13 said:

if they're not giving a vehicle allowance as part of compensation they can keep to themselves
This doesn't make a difference.

I have a coworker who gets vehicle allowance and, well up until last month, he was driving a 300k mile 05 tahoe.

No rule that says you can't pocket the allowance in order to save up, or do whatever you want with.
Ulrich
62strat said:

bmc13 said:

if they're not giving a vehicle allowance as part of compensation they can keep to themselves

I have a coworker who gets vehicle allowance and, well up until last month, he was driving a 300k mile 05 tahoe.

No rule that says you can't pocket the allowance in order to save up, or do whatever you want with.

There certainly can be. Just depends on whether it's written into the policy. AFAIK its considered best practice to set restrictions specifically to ensure that employees are driving safe, reliable vehicles that will preserve the company's image.
62strat
AG
Ulrich said:

62strat said:

bmc13 said:

There certainly can be. Just depends on whether it's written into the policy. AFAIK its considered best practice to set restrictions specifically to ensure that employees are driving safe, reliable vehicles that will preserve the company's image.
If the superintendent's truck breaks down and he misses a client meeting, then yeh you can have that conversation, but until then no one is in any position to tell him his vehicle isn't reliable just basing it on age or perceived condition.
Bondag
AG
I know companies that state you have to drive a white truck less than 4 years and 100,000 miles or something like that, but they pay more than enough to maintain that standard.

Fortunately there are not any strings tied to my allowance.
Ulrich
A policy is unlikely to say something as vague as "reliable", it would stipulate age and mileage as a proxy for reliability.
NoahAg
Bondag said:

I know companies that state you have to drive a white truck less than 4 years and 100,000 miles or something like that, but they pay more than enough to maintain that standard.

/That'sracist
Sticks&Stones
AG
Slap a couple of Trump 2020 stickers on it and watch them auger themselves into the floor
MouthBQ98
AG
Depending on what is broken, it might cost $300 or more to fix a door handle. Labor per hour is upwards of $100.
MouthBQ98
AG
If I'm getting it subsidized, and am driving it for work purposes some of the time, I will get a vehicle the company asks me to get.
wangus12
AG
wbt5845 said:

In an inverse situation - we had a young engineer who came into work driving a Lamborghini Spyder. Even though we are a huge company with vast parking lots, you can't hide a Lamborghini.

Many of us have varying levels of security clearances, including this young man. "Unexplained sudden affluence" is one of the signs co-workers are called to be on the alert for, so someone called Security on him.

Security and his manager had a meeting with him. Turns out his wife is an heir to a very wealthy Texas oil family and bought him the car as a birthday present. No one, including his co-workers, knew he married into that much money, so his affluence was easily explained.

This, of course, begged the question "what the hell are you working here for?" "I just dig airplanes" was his response. And he's still here.
Absolutely terrible wife for buying him such a crap car. Can't believe oilfield folks would allow that
expresswrittenconsent
MouthBQ98 said:

Depending on what is broken, it might cost $300 or more to fix a door handle. Labor per hour is upwards of $100.

Cool. So play this out for me. With the 200k+ doctors income how long do YOU personally spend crawling across a passenger bucket seat and center console? A few days until time permits repair/replacement or months/years?
Point being, that isnt within the boundaries of normal frugality or normal human behavior.
HBCanine08
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Cool. So play this out for me. With the 200k+ doctors income how long do YOU personally spend crawling across a passenger bucket seat and center console? A few days until time permits repair/replacement or months/years?
Point being, that isnt within the boundaries of normal frugality or normal human behavior.
There's also a possibility he isn't being frugal or cheap and just doesn't want to bother with getting it fixed (lazy or just doesn't care cuz he has other things going on). I've had stuff break on my car that doesn't mess with the performance and I know I can easily fix, but I don't have the time, don't want to make time, or it doesn't bother me enough to fix, especially on an older car (mine is an '07).
MouthBQ98
AG
I don't know, because I am very I industrious and also skilled at such tasks. I'd fix it myself before paying someone else, even if I could afford to do so.

Some people are just frugal by nature. I'm not as frugal as that doctor, but I don't see anything wrong with choosing to not let such a thing compel you to spend when you are content to work around it.

In my view, income level doesn't necessarily tie to willingness to spend.
P.C. Principal
Pretentious people
goodAg80
AG
I bet some of his colleagues at work were making fun of him for driving a POS car. They thought it would be funny to forge that letter to him.
The Fife
r/thathappened
MisterScott
AG
I hate Camry's. Any generation. They are the bane of my road going existence. Any Toyota car or light SUV minus the Forerunner and Land Cruiser and lump in every knock-off Lexus as well. And lump in EVERY SINGLE SUBARU EVER BUILT. There should be a separate set of ****ty roads just for those vehicles and zombies who drive them. Crappy roads. That take too long to get from A to B and with speed limits 5-10 miles per hour lower than normal roads.

God bless. Amen. Where's the Tylenol?
Class of 1996
62strat
AG
MisterScott said:

I hate Camry's.
You hate Camry's what? Who is Camry btw?
aggietony2010
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

ThatOneGuy said:

I knew a doctor who's car was missing a driver's side door handle. I think he got in on the passenger side. Super frugal guy who knew his stuff when it came to personal finance and was debt free to my knowledge. The car ran so it worked for him.

Seems legit. Why spend a few dollars to fix the door handle when he could just crawl in from the trunk or one of the other doors.

I mean, it could have a front bench, in which case getting in the passenger seat wouldn't be THAT bad.
goodAg80
AG
MisterScott said:

I hate Camry's. Any generation. They are the bane of my road going existence. Any Toyota car or light SUV minus the Forerunner and Land Cruiser and lump in every knock-off Lexus as well. And lump in EVERY SINGLE SUBARU EVER BUILT. There should be a separate set of ****ty roads just for those vehicles and zombies who drive them. Crappy roads. That take too long to get from A to B and with speed limits 5-10 miles per hour lower than normal roads.

I take it you drive a Yugo?

Duncan Idaho
The TRD Camry's are pretty good looking.
ThatOneGuy
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I don't know, because I am very I industrious and also skilled at such tasks. I'd fix it myself before paying someone else, even if I could afford to do so.

Some people are just frugal by nature. I'm not as frugal as that doctor, but I don't see anything wrong with choosing to not let such a thing compel you to spend when you are content to work around it.

In my view, income level doesn't necessarily tie to willingness to spend.

I think it was one of those things that you intend to fix but never get around to because it doesn't bother you that much. Regarding his frugality, the car was used, he rode a bike most days to work to save gas, I think he nearly paid off his Med school loans in residency while filling up a Roth which is barely possible. He just wasn't very materialistic. Had a model for a girlfriend when I knew him though. I think the vast majority of his income went into various retirement and investment accounts.
hph6203
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

Clearly fake. Not just because the subject matter is so obviously over the top ridiculous but some of the word choices betray a lack of command of the English language.
"You may be susceptible to fraud". While that sentence is correct by itself, in the context with which it was used, it's completely wrong. It's like they were trying to write "you may have been a victim of fraud" and were grasping for "subjected" and came up with "susceptible".

I'm guessing foreigner or (more likely) recent graduate who is screaming for attention.

It's almost certainly fake and that's a poorly written sentence, but they're saying that people in difficult financial situations are more likely to commit fraud against the company....
Picard
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

The TRD Camry's are pretty good looking.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
goodAg80 said:

MisterScott said:

I take it you drive a Yugo?

got the 4-door version - a Wego
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
hph6203 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

Clearly fake. Not just because the subject matter is so obviously over the top ridiculous but some of the word choices betray a lack of command of the English language.
"You may be susceptible to fraud". While that sentence is correct by itself, in the context with which it was used, it's completely wrong. It's like they were trying to write "you may have been a victim of fraud" and were grasping for "subjected" and came up with "susceptible".

I'm guessing foreigner or (more likely) recent graduate who is screaming for attention.

It's almost certainly fake and that's a poorly written sentence, but they're saying that people in difficult financial situations are more likely to commit fraud against the company....

IF that were the case, then the company would be susceptible of being defrauded. How would the employee be more susceptible to fraud in this context?
gig em 02
That's the most Dallas letter I've ever read. It wouldn't surprise me if it was real because that accurately reflects the Highland Park mindset.
John Francis Donaghy
gig em 02 said:

That's the most Dallas letter I've ever read. It wouldn't surprise me if it was real because that accurately reflects the Highland Park mindset.

I love how many people in this state have so much toxic envy of Dallas. It's pathetic and amusing all at once.
gig em 02
John Francis Donaghy said:

gig em 02 said:

I love how many people in this state have so much toxic envy of Dallas. It's pathetic and amusing all at once.

I've lived in Dallas for over 30 years. This letter is 100% reflective of the white collar "Dallas" mindset. It's not toxic envy, it's just the truth.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.