HR worried about employee driving a 2005 Camry

10,826 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by gig em 02
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.reddit.com/r/trashy/comments/es06zv/this_email_my_coworker_received_today_he_drives_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
Sponge
AG
Seems like he is making great financial decisions by driving a basic car. Especially if he has interests besides cars that he wants to save money for. The idiots in HR that throw money at a new BMW just because they can afford it seem like the people that need to be investigated.
Kanyes psychiatrist
That's ridiculous. Way out of line. Typical bs from a group of people concerned about status symbols such as cars and the idea of leasing or better (way worse) yet financing a car. I would call an attorney if I was that employee.
texan12
Throw some 20k rims on it
Cromagnum
AG
Sounds like that HR team is one giant problem looking for solutions. Who the **** cares if you drive a beater to work?
Cromagnum
AG
Good potential responses from that reddit.

The life expectancy of my car that I purchased is well over 200,000 miles with the potential to hit 500,000 with minor repairs. It would be poor money management for me to not use my investment to it's full potential.

I'm terribly sorry. I hadn't realized that my personal vehicle was of concern to the company. Of course I'll be happy to make an upgrade, and it's very generous of you to offer. Let me know if you'd prefer for me to purchase it personally and then file for reimbursement, or to purchase it with a company card.
CrottyKid
AG
No way that is real.
If it is, those fools in HR need to be fired.
Talon2DSO
AG
Has to be a fake
Vernada
AG
No way this is real.
John Francis Donaghy
My money is on fake as well.

But if it is real, $5 says it's a law firm and that employee is throwing all his money at his loans so he can gtfo.
Bubba smollett
As worthless and stupid as HR people are they would not write a letter like that.
Humorous Username
AG
LaQuica said:

As worthless and stupid as HR people are they would not write a letter like that.

They would run it by a lawyer first.
Win At Life
AG
If they are that concerned about a 2005 Camry, they'd freak out about my 46 Chevy truck.
Nuke_Ag05
AG
Dear HR,

Go **** yourself.
Unemployed
AG
Talon2DSO said:

Has to be a fake
Reddit is 75% fake.

It's just pure entertainment.
bmc13
AG
if they're not giving a vehicle allowance as part of compensation they can keep to themselves
TxSquarebody
It isn't, but could have been, penned by my previous VP for Administration. I can almost hear her voice!
wangus12
AG
Man that is asking for a lawsuit if it was real
PneumAg
CrottyKid said:

No way that is real.
If it is, those fools in HR need to be fired.

This. No ****ing way. If I was that employee, I would have an absolute ****ing field day with that.
ThatOneGuy
AG
I knew a doctor who's car was missing a driver's side door handle. I think he got in on the passenger side. Super frugal guy who knew his stuff when it came to personal finance and was debt free to my knowledge. The car ran so it worked for him.
normaleagle05
AG
TxSquarebody said:

It isn't, but could have been, penned by my previous VP for Administration. I can almost hear her voice!

Username checks out!
Gil Renard
AG
General board will hate on the Car. I bet the GB comic book guys are in HR here
Kanyes psychiatrist
ThatOneGuy said:

I knew a doctor who's car was missing a driver's side door handle. I think he got in on the passenger side. Super frugal guy who knew his stuff when it came to personal finance and was debt free to my knowledge. The car ran so it worked for him.
That's the thing about cars. Drive them until they can't be driven any more. All these suckers think you have to update every two years. Or they are bright and convince daddy to buy them a new Escalade because they "helped" close that deal!
chipotle
Nuh uh. Real. It's on the internet.
Ag 11
AG
Bondag
AG
I knew a guy that removed all of the passenger seats from his daily driver because those were extra weight and he wanted better gas mileage. He was not hurting for money, but it didn't make sense to him to have extra weight in his car that he didn't need.
Ulrich
Some places want their client-facing employees to drive nice cars as part of the image they want to project, and often that expectation comes with a stipend for making car payments. If an employee in that situation is pocketing the stipend and sticking to the older vehicle, there is a bit of an issue. That said, this letter seems fake. This would either be handled verbally (ie no written record) or the written record would reference misuse of the stipend, not a conspiracy theory that the employee is secretly poor.
Mort Rainey
This whole thing is bizarre
Mr_mo8268
AG
I don't think financing a car is always a bad thing. Given when IR are, if you can get a good rate and are responsible with it.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Clearly fake. Not just because the subject matter is so obviously over the top ridiculous but some of the word choices betray a lack of command of the English language.
"You may be susceptible to fraud". While that sentence is correct by itself, in the context with which it was used, it's completely wrong. It's like they were trying to write "you may have been a victim of fraud" and were grasping for "subjected" and came up with "susceptible".

I'm guessing foreigner or (more likely) recent graduate who is screaming for attention.
HBCanine08
AG
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if this is true. At my current company, a coworker received a call from HR, followed by an in-person meeting, because he was using the bathroom in the lobby too frequently. HR's "concern" was that this bathroom is reserved for guests, a message which hasn't been relayed to all employees nor is posted anywhere. The fact is that the HR person overseeing the front desk felt it was necessary to escalate that upstairs to the Sr. Manager of HR.

I can also see a VP of HR/Administration sending out this email based on emails I have received in the past from people in those roles.
expresswrittenconsent
ThatOneGuy said:

Seems legit. Why spend a few dollars to fix the door handle when he could just crawl in from the trunk or one of the other doors.
bmc13
AG
HBCanine08 said:

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if this is true. At my current company, a coworker received a call from HR, followed by an in-person meeting, because he was using the bathroom in the lobby too frequently. HR's "concern" was that this bathroom is reserved for guests, a message which hasn't been relayed to all employees nor is posted anywhere. The fact is that the HR person overseeing the front desk felt it was necessary to escalate that upstairs to the Sr. Manager of HR.

I can also see a VP of HR/Administration sending out this email based on emails I have received in the past from people in those roles.

one of my previous company's managers did the same thing. he sent a memo to the entire engineering group.
wbt5845
AG
In an inverse situation - we had a young engineer who came into work driving a Lamborghini Spyder. Even though we are a huge company with vast parking lots, you can't hide a Lamborghini.

Many of us have varying levels of security clearances, including this young man. "Unexplained sudden affluence" is one of the signs co-workers are called to be on the alert for, so someone called Security on him.

Security and his manager had a meeting with him. Turns out his wife is an heir to a very wealthy Texas oil family and bought him the car as a birthday present. No one, including his co-workers, knew he married into that much money, so his affluence was easily explained.

This, of course, begged the question "what the hell are you working here for?" "I just dig airplanes" was his response. And he's still here.
swc93
AG
Bondag said:

I knew a guy that removed all of the passenger seats from his daily driver because those were extra weight and he wanted better gas mileage. He was not hurting for money, but it didn't make sense to him to have extra weight in his car that he didn't need.
I drove a Saturn in to the ground; believe it hit 300K before I donated it. I called it my four door motorcycle.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.