Military Dentist then Transition To Civilian Life

2,715 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Scoopen Skwert
FCBlitz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am trying to figure out the level of satisfaction of folks who had joined the military to pay for Dental School then served the minimum time in the military and then got out to be a civilian dentist.

If this is you or you know someone like this.....I would like to know if you would use the military as a way to pay for Dental School again.
cas8019
AG
Bruh
Shoefly!
AG
I can ask my Dentist, he was in the Air Force.
Ragoo
AG
College buddy did this exact thing. And I suspect he would do it all over again easily.
B-1 83
AG
"Condemn" lots of instruments. You'll be fully equipped upon discharge.
fido00
AG
Are you in Dental school, applying, or what?
Pirate04
AG
You should probably ask the Military board too.
AgLA06
AG
I have a buddy who's son is almost (finishing) a surgeon for the Navy. He plans to do his 20 or 25. Get his pension and no debt before transitioning to private sector to work 3-4 days a week and either live it up or put in 10 good years for a great retirement.

Oh, and I believe he is either currently in Hawaii or will be stationed there upon graduation.

We all agree we hate the smart SOB.
DarkHorse07
AG
My brother went to Baylor Dental School in Dallas and then went on to University of Florida to become a maxillofacial oral surgeon.... all while we was in the army or a captain in the national guard, I cannot remember which.

He now has his own business where we travels between dental offices doing oral surgeries.

If you send me an email I can forwarded it on to him. He is a really cool guy and always loves to help out.

bradenkmorris@gmail.com

lotsofhp
AG
I wish I had at least looked into going into the military. I've meet so many men who have had such wonderful careers in the different branches and then gone on to be very successful in the private sector afterwards.

It's certainly worth serious consideration.
FTAggies
Just depends on where you go to dental school and how much it will cost you. Texas school? Unnecessary. Out of state? Almost imperative. Private? you damn well better. Air force I believe also forces you to at least apply to residency.
Gig'em
IIIHorn

FCB wants the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth.
JABQ04
AG
Free Dental School
Guaranteed job and experience
What's not to like about that arrangement?
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Worst case 6 month deployment.

Definitely do it.
FCBlitz
Thanks folks.

My son was walking the path to joining the Navy and all of a sudden then dropped it like a hot potato.

Son is a Mech Eng major who graduates with all A's in May. He has also taken all the required courses for pre Dental. He scored a 97% on the Dental School Entrance Exam.
Was a collegiate athelete till he decided to go the dental route.

He had been shadowing a dentist in the Dallas area and that Dentist has been telling my son to ditch the military route and work for him.

Now it is like my son is a different person and is talking stupid talking points. So I am asking him to build out how he is going to pay. His mom and I are not going to fund his Dental School when he had a chance to have it all paid for.
ac04
i'm guessing he started having second thoughts right around the time iran started shooting passenger planes out of the sky
Fonzie Scheme
AG
ac04 said:

i'm guessing he started having second thoughts right around the time iran started shooting passenger planes out of the sky

Job security
BenFiasco14
AG
Rule 1 on the sex trophy's mom?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Pirate04
AG
bh93 said:

Definitely do it.

Worst case a year (or two) rotation to Korea.

Deployments for dentists aren't bad since dental services are only available at large posts, like Kuwait YEAY!
Big Cat `93
AG
My dad entered the Army after graduating from dental school. Served his 2 years at Fort Benning. He's had nothing but good things to say about his experience there. Also has some pretty cool stories from that. Of course, at that time, anywhere not in Vietnam was a pretty good posting.
AGdent07
AG
There's pros and cons to either path. Depends on what you want for yourself. I took out loans and paid for school myself. Heavily considered the Air Force route (better facilities and locations). I've got several friends who are currently serving and are stationed in Germany and South Carolina. They have enjoyed their time. If you want more information feel free to PM me. Don't let him make a decision one way or the other without exploring and knowing all the options. Don't let the free education route make his decision (it's not free because you pay with more time than you are worth in the private sector). However he will have access to lots of free training and education through the military and can potentially travel to some great places. I'm a huge supporter of serving in the military and if it weren't for budget cuts and a lack of HPSP openings my life would probably look a lot different. Good luck to him and be proud of what he has accomplished.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Pirate04 said:

bh93 said:

Definitely do it.

Worst case a year (or two) rotation to Korea.

Deployments for dentists aren't bad since dental services are only available at large posts, like Kuwait YEAY!

They have an amazing brand new 76 chair DC at Humphreys.

Railroad up to Seoul for the weekends.
Plus soju is freaking amazing. 2 bottles and you see vapor trails.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.