worst/best uses of a loan you've ever seen

11,314 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by goodAg80
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TecRecAg said:

This sounds like the worst person in the world. Yikes.

Corvette people are the worst
histag10
AG
Bondag said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

I like how every car thread on texags (seriously, this is every thread on the auto board) turns into a bunch of bitter losers complaining about 100k Tahoes on 10+ year car notes.

I bought a car in 2008 that I still drive daily. If I want to spend $40k on my next one and drive it for 3 years or $80k and drive it for 10 why does that matter to anyone?

I bought a car in 2012, and had it not died a horrible death this year (engine died at 80k miles- dont buy a GMC Terrain), I would still be driving it for quite a while. Bought a 1 year old car with little mileage for roughly 10-15k under what a new one would cost.
Duncan Idaho
jny_fkn_fbl said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Best...Lent $200 to a roommate in college to help his girlfriend pay for something

Worst....lent $200 to a roommate in college to help his girlfriend pay for something

Why would you pay for your roommate to get a blowjob?

If the first one had got a blow job, he wouldn't have needed the $
matureag
AG
Sounds like she may be a Democrat.
ConsolTigerAg92
AG
I took out a loan from the school to pay for spring break in '89. Good times.
lb3
AG
TxAg20
AG
A met a guy who went to UT Dallas that had his school paid for by his grandparents. He also took out student loans and invested them in the stock market. When I met him in 2010 he was all in on Netflix. I thought that was pretty foolish. I haven't seen him since 2010, so I'm not sure if he's really rich or broke.
Ragoo
AG
lb3 said:

Ragoo said:

jm94 said:

Ragoo said:

I've mentioned this before. A guy I used to work with was conned by his own brother. His brother convinced him to pay for larger uptops for the brother's wife. Shortly after the uptops were installed the wife filed for divorce. Cold.
Sounds like she conned her husband, who in turn conned his brother.
yes correct
I'm hoping she gave a taste to her ex brother in law.
negative. No peaky, no feely.
oldschool87
AG
ehrmantraut said:

oldschool87 said:

Took 20k Out of my 401k for a 2nd on my mortgage to avoid PMI. Put it on a 5 year note. Interest was 5.25. So basically paid myself back 25,000.

3 months after I took the the loan out the Stock market crashed and my 401k dropped 30%...

So By doing the loan instead of me having 14,000 dollars, I had 25,000 plus the growth...

Dumb. Have you ever tried actually doing the math on this?
Do Tell...

oldschool87
AG
histag10 said:

Bondag said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

I like how every car thread on texags (seriously, this is every thread on the auto board) turns into a bunch of bitter losers complaining about 100k Tahoes on 10+ year car notes.

I bought a car in 2008 that I still drive daily. If I want to spend $40k on my next one and drive it for 3 years or $80k and drive it for 10 why does that matter to anyone?

I bought a car in 2012, and had it not died a horrible death this year (engine died at 80k miles- dont buy a GMC Terrain), I would still be driving it for quite a while. Bought a 1 year old car with little mileage for roughly 10-15k under what a new one would cost.
2008 GMC Crew, loaded, sun roof, 4 year note, paid in full... not a mark on the outside. Just put new tires on it good for another 35K.

Zero Complaints here. Going to try and hold out until the body style changes 1 more time.
HoustonAg12
AG
Have a buddy that went to vet school to be a vet. Racked up about $50k in student loans, dropped out and never became a vet.

Couldn't afford to pay it back so he's now sitting at $130k in debt after all the interest...

Got married and financed $13k of furniture for a small apartment. Got wife pregnant then Wife racked up all the credit cards and she divorced him right after kid popped out. Took him to the bank for child support cause he couldn't afford a lawyer. Took all the financed furniture and stuck him with the bills cause he put it only under his name.

Took out loans to play fantasy football and gamble.

Many many more poor choices over the years....
permabull
AG
TAMUallen
AG
I've heard of people having their children open loans just to repay to build credit and/or opening credit cards early simply to build average age of credit. I'd say the loan to build credit is a best use.
Baby Billy
AG
The new GMC and Chevy trucks look disgusting
zephyr88
AG
Best and worst examples from this week...

Neighbor and I both bought new vehicles on the same day.

Neighbor boasted about "paying cash" while I put zero down and financed the whole thing for less than 3%.

Neighbor just pulled $60k out of the market, while I kept my money in place, working for me!

lotsofhp
AG
Hopefully he's going to invest the payment he doesn't have each month
permabull
AG
Dad-O-Lot
AG
There is the story of the man who went into a bank in New York City and asked to borrow $5000. They asked for collateral and he offered his new Maserati.

He gave them the Maserati and took the $5000

A month later, he returned, gave back the $5000 and interest of $25 for the month and got his car back.

The banker then said, "Sir, I don't understand. We ran a financial check on you and you did not need this $5000. Your wealth is enormous. Why did you do this?

He replied, "How else could I park my Maserati safely in New York for a month for only $25."
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
oldschool87
AG
ehrmantraut said:

The new GMC and Chevy trucks look disgusting

Totally agree!!!!!!!
goodAg80
AG
zephyr88 said:

Best and worst examples from this week...

Neighbor and I both bought new vehicles on the same day.

Neighbor boasted about "paying cash" while I put zero down and financed the whole thing for less than 3%.

Neighbor just pulled $60k out of the market, while I kept my money in place, working for me!

If you both paid the same for the vehicle, I agree. But the car companies understand the investment potential for money too. Typically if you are getting a loan through them they add the lost revenue (from the market) into the selling price. So usually cars with loans have a higher price than cars paid for with cash, unless the loan is at a higher interest rate than the market.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.