The rise of Millenial hermits

5,466 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggie_fan13
Woody2006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://qz.com/quartzy/1748191/how-millennials-became-a-generation-of-homebodies/amp
Quote:

Nobody wants to leave their apartment anymore. That's the prevailing sentiment on the internet, anyway. Mean Girls memes and Viola Davis gifs celebrate the joy of canceling plans. Essays offer neuroscience-backed explanations of the relief that comes with bailing on drinks, while listicles and trend pieces promote the homebody lifestyle. Advice columns enumerate tips for backing out of social plans without losing your friends. The weekly newsletter Girls Night In features "recommendations for a cozy night in" alone or with girlfriends, including books, recipes, gratitude exercises, and candles. And at last count, Etsy offered 11,490 introvert-branded items celebrating a life of blissful solitude, from enamel pins emblazoned with the motto "Anti-Social Butterfly" to t-shirts declaring, "It's way too people-y outside."
Quote:

The rise of millennial hermits is a bit puzzling at first blush. Sure, staying inside has its advantages. You're sheltered from the elements. You can watch TV, which has gotten really good. Your pet is there, if you have a pet. And everyone needs downtime, some of us more than others.

But where are those others, exactlythe people who actually look forward to socializing, at least some of the time? (A search for Etsy products tagged "extrovert" yields a mere 443 results, many of which are actually about introverts.) And if countries around the world, from the US and the UK to Japan and Denmark, are supposedly in the grips of a massive loneliness crisis, why are so many people declaring that their greatest desire in life is to take off their pants and nestle ever-deeper into the couch?
Quote:

Of course, if you're also talking to other people online, you're not entirely solitary. And so the internet has given rise to a new kind of night in. We may indeed feel relaxed and cozy beneath our weighted anti-anxiety blankets, relieved to be spared the rituals of shots and small talk and shouting over music. Still, there's a part of us that wants to connect. So we reach for our phones, wanting to share the pleasure we take in being alone.
How many of you GB superstars are hermits?
Duncan Idaho
Good on them...it tool me until my 60s to finally come to terms that people aren't worth my time
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I don't blame them either. But, it isn't just about finding people. It's about finding the right people. And, finding the right people is both exhausting and exasperating. THAT'S why I don't blame them.
MouthBQ98
AG
Shut Ins.

Given enough time, they won't be able to fit out the door anyways.
bmc13
AG
Quote:

A search for Etsy products tagged "extrovert" yields a mere 443 results, many of which are actually about introverts.

people that like to go out and have fun in person don't need self-affirming knick-knacks
Flashdiaz
AG
more and more restaurants are offering delivery service so people don't have to meet for dinner\lunch.

sure the commercials usually involve fit people with lots of friends but the reality is likely much different.
aggie_fan13
AG
A healthy balance is key IMO. Weekdays I deal with people all day, so when I go home I want to unwind and recharge. Weekend I'm more likely to be engaged with friends and family, if not it's a personal day where I go out and do whatever I feel like by myself. If you can't have fun by yourself why would anybody want to hang out with you in the first place ?

Also people suck in most cases
Dr.Rumack
What in tarnation are listicles?
HBCanine08
AG
Quote:

"It's way too people-y outside."

That's one way to put it. I usually say, "Way too many MFs out here today"

and I agree with Azul.
jm94
AG
hikikomori
aglaohfour
AG
I don't think I'm a hermit, but I would prefer to spend more time at home alone than I do. Alas, being a mom to an extremely extroverted child pretty much requires regular socialization outside of the house.
lotsofhp
AG
would be sweet if this could lead to less crowds at the lake and the coast
Claude!
I like being alone.
Woody2006
AG
lotsofhp said:

would be sweet if this could lead to less crowds at the lake and the coast
I feel the same about the mountains. Would be awesome if all you hermits would stop clogging up the lift lines.
Aggie Infantry
AG

As Lex Luthor said: People are no damn good.
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
lotsofhp
AG
I'm feeling particularly anti social today and I've got to go to my wife's work later today because they're throwing her a baby shower and I'm supposed to go. Made me think of this thread.
aggie_fan13
AG
aren't baby showers mostly for women
lotsofhp
AG
azulAg said:

aren't baby showers mostly for women

Her main big shower is women only and the men are getting together to grill, drink and watch football.

Can't help this one at her work.
Old RV Ag
AG
reb,
AG
you are all disgusting mutants and the internet provides me the correct amount of distance where i can stomach associating with you

dont blame me, its your fault
agnerd
AG
Not quite a millennial, but I am a proud hermit! Why would I want to leave? There's a bar with a margarita machine, all of my favorite foods and drinks in the kitchen, game room with a pool table, darts, and arcade game, TVs always showing what I want to watch and a stereo that always plays my favorite songs. Food and drink is grocery store price instead of bar/stadium price. Pool and grill in the backyard for when it's hot. Only good reason to leave is to go play golf or go on vacation.
Jimbos Plaque
AG
My ex was pretty much the only person I spent any appreciable amount of time with. I work pretty much by myself and don't have a whole lot of friends up here anyway. I get being a hermit, but sometimes you don't really have a choice.
Shakes the Clown
Hermit?

I don't even know her!
Shakes the Clown
Gawd this board sucks
malenurse
AG
Dr.Rumack said:

What in tarnation are listicles?
Hers??

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Senator Blutarski
AG
. . . declining birth rate is going to sink our economy one day. #Japan.
BleacherRat
Shakes the Clown said:

Gawd this board sucks
I knew I could count on you to contribute to this.
Gig 'em!
Mr_mo8268
AG
Liquid Wrench
I clicked your link and didn't understand any of it. I'm guessing that was a lot of pre-teen cool slange, but I shouldn't have to know it.
aggie_fan13
AG
I'm a guy but thanks for playing chief
Mr_mo8268
AG
aggie_fan13
AG
Lol
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.