Hazlewood Act and an Uncooperative Father

8,304 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
JaBlanc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello, I'm seeking to attend Texas A&M University in the fall semester of 2020 and I am attempting to get everything together for paying for it. My father is in the Navy, but since his divorce from my mother he has been rather uninvolved in my education and has only recently shown interest in interacting with me substantially. I have been requesting permission to use his Hazlewood Act hours to help with my college learning, but he has been putting it off for months, constantly saying he will look into it despite the fact that I gave him printed copies of all the information TAMU has on Hazlewood Act the last time he requested visitation, this summer. To my knowledge, he has not used any of the Hazlewood hours. He has two other children with his new wife, but they are not Texas residents and they are all currently living in another state, with orders to move to Michigan soon.

How should I pursue the Hazlewood hours? Are there any resources at A&M, aside from the scholarships page for the Corps, that I should look into for more information on the Hazlewood hours that I could show to my father? Is there anything that the scholarship or veterans' affairs offices at A&M can do to influence him to either provide the hours or at least be honest with me and deny them to me?

Thank you all for any help,
Jacob Blanchard
Picard
AG
Oh boy.....here we go!

bmc13
AG
i would try the academics board or aggies only
george1992
Agree with the previous poster. All you will get here are people asking for pics of your mom.
george1992
Post a pic of your mom.
Ginormus Ag
AG
george1992 said:

Post a pic of your mom.

Come on man! Where's your head?

Post a pic of new wife.
JaBlanc
Ah, thanks for the advice. I'm rather new to this, obviously.
zephyr88
AG
https://www.tvc.texas.gov/education/hazlewood-act/hazlewood-faqs/

These might be helpful.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

My father is in the Navy
Post a pic.
Casey TableTennis
AG
It sucks you are in this position. My wife's dad was/is a deadbeat and I've seen through her how frustrating and difficult it can be when a solution seems so obvious.

Serious answer regarding your question:

Do you think he is skeptical that the mending relationship is contingent on you getting the hours? Wouldn't be crazy to see he is using it as leverage, because he can.

The above may be a moot point as the Hazelwood hours are not yours, they are his. He may use them for you, or the other kids, that is his choice.

Was there something in the divorce decree that make you believe he is obligated to provide for your college, maybe specifically with some of those hours?

Hey Nav
AG
JaBlanc -

Others have given some good advice - Academics forum is a good idea. I don't think you're eligible to access Aggies Only forum, though.

Also, I think you're limited to 5 posts a day as a "Rookie". (Not 100% certain on that number, though.)

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. That said, those Hazelwood hours belong to your father, and I don't believe he can be forced by outside parties to compel him to relinquish those hours.

Personally, I have all 150 of my hours available. My biological children were finished with grad school when that benefit was enacted by the great taxpayers of Texas.I do still have one stepson at home, and if he so chooses to attend college at an eligible state institution, he will have those available. I wish you had that option.

As was mentioned, this forum can sometimes be very silly and you'll be subjected to juvenile behavior in the spirit of humor. Sometimes, though, serious topics will be discussed.

Maybe edit out your name on this forum. Every once in a blue moon, it can come back to bite. There are plenty of people here who are not Aggies. There are a few number of weirdos, so take caution. But, most are good folks.

Best wishes in this endeavor.
JaBlanc
Thank you, Casey TableTennis and Hey Nav. That these are his hours is a very good point and I do not want to force him to give them to me, but I do hate being strung along and I would appreciate the honesty of telling me that he will not be providing them, rather than always saying "I'll look into it..."
histag10
AG
You can email veterans@tamu.edu for more information
histag10
AG
Also, make sure you filled out the tamu scholarship application. It is used for all scholarships, including veteran (and dependent) scholarships
hillcountryag86
AG
Don't think there is much you can do about this without your father's permission. I think your only hope if he doesn't transfer his hours is if there is some language in the divorce paperwork.

I've used Hazlewood to help with three kids thru A&M. I had to sign that I was transferring those hours to them. And I had to sign that document every year.

mrad85
AG
Come on...give us something to work with.

At least let us know if mom or step-mom have big cans...
redd38
AG
JaBlanc said:

Thank you, Casey TableTennis and Hey Nav. That these are his hours is a very good point and I do not want to force him to give them to me, but I do hate being strung along and I would appreciate the honesty of telling me that he will not be providing them, rather than always saying "I'll look into it..."

He told me to tell you that you're not getting his hours. So now you know.
Duncan Idaho
Millennials thinking they are entitled to things their parents earned.

I cant speak to the legality of your situation and it sucks but you dont really have any moral claim to those hours.

mrad85
AG
JaBlanc said:

Hello, I'm seeking to attend Texas A&M University in the fall semester of 2020 and I am attempting to get everything together for paying for it. My father is in the Navy, but since his divorce from my mother he has been rather uninvolved in my education and has only recently shown interest in interacting with me substantially. I have been requesting permission to use his Hazlewood Act hours to help with my college learning, but he has been putting it off for months, constantly saying he will look into it despite the fact that I gave him printed copies of all the information TAMU has on Hazlewood Act the last time he requested visitation, this summer. To my knowledge, he has not used any of the Hazlewood hours. He has two other children with his new wife, but they are not Texas residents and they are all currently living in another state, with orders to move to Michigan soon.

How should I pursue the Hazlewood hours? Are there any resources at A&M, aside from the scholarships page for the Corps, that I should look into for more information on the Hazlewood hours that I could show to my father? Is there anything that the scholarship or veterans' affairs offices at A&M can do to influence him to either provide the hours or at least be honest with me and deny them to me?

Thank you all for any help,
Jacob Blanchard
My real advice:

Based on the limited amount of info, it sounds like you haven't really tried to have much of a relationship with him either. Divorce is horrible for all parties, most especially the kids.

I would suggest if you want a relationship with him and/or want "things" from him, you're old enough to put in the work to do that.

I will almost guarantee that if you try some back hand attempt at using them without his consent, even if you can, you'll probably never have any relationship with him.

Do the work young man. Build the relationship if that is what you want and what it requires.

A relationship is a two way street, and honestly, you're coming off a bit of "entitled". Don't mean to be harsh, but that's my opinion.

Good luck to you.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Beer Baron said:

Quote:

My father is in the Navy
Post a pic.
Also, we have some of those dudes that like dudes around here. Not a big deal, but pics of your dad will curry favor with that crowd.

That said, does OP's mom have nice cans and if so, where are her pics?
Duncan Idaho
A much better version of my post
Duncan Idaho
Right or wrong but in the back of his head is probably this thought:T "I had to funnel 20% of my gross pay to his mother. She should have managed his money better and saved for college. I have 2 kids that aren't getting 20% of my pay every month. So if I have to choose what to do with the hours, i am going to hold on to them for the kids that didnt get child support."
Ragoo
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Right or wrong but in the back of his head is probably this thought:T "I had to funnel 20% of my gross pay to his mother. She should have managed his money better and saved for college. I have 2 kids that aren't getting 20% of my pay every month. So if I have to choose what to do with the hours, i am going to hold on to them for the kids that didnt get child support."
this mindset sucks. The other kids got well more than 20%. They got a present father and a "complete" home.
Duncan Idaho
Well No one wins in a divorce. Plus you are making some assumptions that the father being around is a net positive

My primary point was that the father might not be in a position to pay for 3 kids to go to school and he has to pick and choose.
Joe Exotic
AG
The others don't qualify for hazelwood
Duncan Idaho
Even if they move back to texas?
Hey Nav
AG
https://www.tvc.texas.gov/education/hazlewood-act/#xAcCxETP

A quick glance makes me wonder if the Dad is even eligible at this time, even if he has maintained Texas residency.

Same for the dependents.

TriAg2010
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I cant speak to the legality of your situation and it sucks but you dont really have any moral claim to those hours.

Class of 2024 =/= Millennial

Millennials were enrolled at A&M when this kid was born.
Martin Q. Blank
JaBlanc said:

No, there is no one at the VA office to influence your father to let you use his Hazelwood hours. Sorry.
Martin Q. Blank
JaBlanc said:

My father is in the Navy
He doesn't qualify anyway since he hasn't been discharged.
Ragoo
AG
TriAg2010 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

hey, **** you. I'm old.
Win At Life
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

JaBlanc said:

My father is in the Navy
He doesn't qualify anyway since he hasn't been discharged.

I believe this is the correct answer. Active duty is not considered a veteran and the act only applies to veterans.
Tobias Funke
AG
This thread title sounds like a Harry Potter book
BleacherRat
Ragoo said:

TriAg2010 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

hey, **** you. I'm old.
Ragoo, you are quickly becoming my hero.
Gig 'em!
The Fife
Ragoo said:

TriAg2010 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

hey, **** you. I'm old.
Found the boomer!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.