Ric Ocasek Dead

5,537 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Scoopen Skwert
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Damn. Dropping like flies, and groups of three, and such as.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Ric-Ocasek-Cars-Singer-Dead-in-NY-at-75-560430391.html
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Was 35 and still married when he hooked up with 18-year-old Paulina Porizkova while filming the video for "Drive" in 1984. He can't complain about any day of his life after that.
Shakes the Clown
Damn
HollywoodBQ
AG
Tom Hagen
AG
Who is the third after Money and Ocasek?

saw em off
MuckRaker96 said:

Was 35 and still married when he hooked up with 18-year-old Paulina Porizkova while filming the video for "Drive" in 1984. He can't complain about any day of his life after that.

In 1984 he would've been 40, not 35. Math.
Canyon99
He must have had a huge schlong
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Tom Hagen said:

Who is the third after Money and Ocasek?

I know who it won't be....

She's like the highlander in all of this.
BaitShack
AG
Prom, 1988.
Repeat the Line
you people are old
Stat Monitor Repairman
MuckRaker96 said:

DannyDuberstein
AG
The Cars videos are definitely a vivid memory of watching MTV in the early/mid 80s.

I guess the good times are no longer rolling though.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
They were a good live show. I saw them at Randy's Rodeo with Devo way back in the day.
rwtxag83
AG
Royal bummer. The Cars had soem great music, and they were seminal part of the new wave music trend back in the day.

I'm really glad he was able to live long enough to experience being inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

RIP Rick, thanks for the memories.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Dad-O-Lot
AG
sad.

The first concert I ever attended was The Cars Heartbeat City in San Antonio in 1984. I still have the t-shirt.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Great band.
RIP Rick O
Claude!
Who's gonna drive the hearse
To the (cemetery)?
goodAg80
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B1MdjFahZVj
Burdizzo
AG
I miss the Cars, but their music got progressively pop and less edgy as time went by. They were a big part of the sound of my adolescence, and I will remember them fondly. But when they split up, it was time.

RIP Benjy Orr and Ric Ocasek.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Ocasek delivered one of the stronger "we are never getting the band back together" statements when he said he'd rather have diarrhea for 6 months than get The Cars back together. Hopefully the coroner's report doesn't come back with a very ironic finding.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Ocasek delivered one of the stronger "we are never getting the band back together" statements when he said he'd rather have diarrhea for 6 months than get The Cars back together. Hopefully the coroner's report doesn't come back with a very ironic finding.
After Ben died years ago, there was never any getting the band back together.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right, I was aware. He's been gone for a long stretch now. I think Ocasek made that comment in the ballpark of a decade before Orr died, and to be completely accurate, I believe it was "I'd rather have hot diarrhea for 6 months than tour with The Cars for 6 months."
Burdizzo
AG
If I remember my 80s history right, Ric Ocasek had kind of been thought of as the face of the Cars because of his peculiar looks, and he was featured in the music videos. This was in spite of he and Orr sharing most of the musical load. And then when Drive was released all the sudden Benjamin Orr is really popular . At some point Orr said something to the effect that HE was the face of The Cars, and that was pretty much the trigger point for the breakup of the band. From everything I remember, it was a pretty contentious event, and that was unfortunate.
randy828
AG
I saw the Cars for Heartbeat City tour in Houston, and while I love their music, I thought their live show was boring.

Quote:

While the Cars were not known for being a particularly mesmerizing concert act, Ocasek explained to Yahoo Entertainment in '97 why he didn't find live performance as inspiring as his studio work. "I don't think touring is creative; it's kind of like mimicking what you've already done. I don't really feel like I need the 'applause' thing; it's not built into me," he confessed. "As a performer, I've always had this attitude that I should never prod the audience that's probably why the Cars were always considered cold. I made it just about the music; I don't really have anything to say. I'm not going to say, 'How ya doing tonight!?' because some people in the audience will say 'Yeah!' when they're not doing well at all. I don't want to tell the audience what to do or tell them to stand up, and I don't want to tell them a 'story.' I don't want to move weird. I'm already weird."
AG
The Cars came out with another album in 2011. It had a few catchy tunes. They did a small tour with the four remaining members. I loved the early cars as I have two older brothers that would listen to their stuff. I also believe Ocasek produced Weezer's first album.
True Anomaly
AG
Glad Gordon Keith didn't off himself after hearing this
Biz Ag
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

His Best Friend's Girl?
agz win
AG
Tragic. Such fun times. RIP.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't know if I'd call a guy that got to live a rock star dream and bang a supermodel until he eventually died at the age of 70 tragic, but yeah, it's still a sad loss.
CHOCOLATE CHIP TRIP
and like* such as
BBRex
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I don't know if I'd call a guy that got to live a rock star dream and bang a supermodel until he eventually died at the age of 70 tragic, but yeah, it's still a sad loss.
I think they split last year, so he probably only got to bang her until 68 or so.
Burdizzo
AG
BBRex said:

DannyDuberstein said:

I think they split last year, so he probably only got to bang her until 68 or so.

He has the trophies to show for it.
62strat
AG
Quote:

I also believe Ocasek produced Weezer's first album.
First, third and ninth albums.
rlb28
AG
The Cars show was the first concert I ever attended - about 1985. Opening act was Wang Chung in Houston.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.