Tell me about Texarkana

3,274 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CaddoAggie96
Post removed:
by user
The Fall Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was born there. On the Texas side of Wadley Hospital
combat wombat™
AG
I stayed in a hotel there once time. There was a little metal strip in the tile in the lobby demarcating the Texas/Arkansas state line. You could just stand there in two states AT THE SAME TIME. I suppose some of the beds in the hotel might have been partly in one state and partly in another.

Really makes you think.
Ulrich
The main thing I know about it is that it is surprising how many people will ask where Texarkana is. I assume these are the same people who don't know what time midnight yell starts.
TyHolden
AG
If you are born on state line, do you get to choose? This could be a huge immigration issue.
Texarkanaag69
AG
Live here now. Heat and humidity are very uncomfortable. Most of Texas is uncomfortable from June through September. You visiting short term or thinking long term?
jm94
AG
Texarkanaag69 said:

Live here now. Heat and humidity are very uncomfortable. Most of Texas is uncomfortable from June through September.
Is it better on the Arkansas side?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
It is not about a mile to Louisiana, not matter what Johnny Cash says
OregonAggie
AG
The girls are easy if that's what your asking.

Buy em a few drinks at the Cowboy and you're golden.
MAROON
AG
One side of it sucks
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Liquid Wrench
combat wombat said:

I stayed in a hotel there once time. There was a little metal strip in the tile in the lobby demarcating the Texas/Arkansas state line. You could just stand there in two states AT THE SAME TIME. I suppose some of the beds in the hotel might have been partly in one state and partly in another.

Really makes you think.
Bad Times at the El Royale has a bit where they charge more to stay on the California side of the hotel than the Nevada side. I trust that this place charged more for the Texas rooms.
Texarkanaag69
AG
To JM94, Arkie side is less developed. Schools much better on Texas side. Arkie hates anything beginning with a "T"--Texas and taxes. Beautiful areas for home sites and taxes are extremely low compared to Texas side. Early on, the town's wealthy lived on the Ark side because of timber industry and many of those older neighborhoods are still beautiful; but, as with so many older neighborhoods, as the desire to move to the edge of town grew in popularity some of those neighborhoods are no longer as desirable as they once were.
JMac03
AG
The post office there is half in Texas and half in Arkansas. Like the hotel mentioned above, you can be in two states at once!
rwtxag83
AG
Sarduakar said:

It is not about a mile to Louisiana, not matter what Johnny Cash says
Nope, that was Charlie Pride.

Greater love hath no man than this....
rwtxag83
AG
Stayed there once. Had dinner at the Chinese restaurant.

Really makes you think....
JMac03
AG
A&M has a University there.
aTm2004
AG
So, if you lined the bed up just right, you could be bumping uglies in 2 states at the same time? If this happens when the clock strikes mid-night on NYD, I'm certain a black hole would form.
aTm2004
AG
rwtxag83 said:

Stayed there once. Had dinner at the Chinese restaurant.

Really makes you think....
Yeah, you typically don't forget the tragedies in life.
oldschool87
AG
Why?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Huddie Ledbettee wrote the song in the 40s "Cotton Fields" johnny cash covered it in 1962 and Charlie Pride in 1969
brotherbear
AG
And CCR covered it.
CrottyKid
AG
They have a TaMolly's mexican restaurant and a Whataburger on the Arkansas side of the state line avenue. It sucks. I had a chance to live there for work and turned it down to move out of state.
pants
Ulrich said:

The main thing I know about it is that it is surprising how many people will ask where Texarkana is. I assume these are the same people who don't know what time midnight yell starts.
Except for the Texas State game this year when it was at 10:00 PM...
The Fife
CrottyKid said:

They have a TaMolly's mexican restaurant and a Whataburger on the Arkansas side of the state line avenue. It sucks. I had a chance to live there for work and turned it down to move out of state.
Out of state like, down the street?
CrottyKid
AG
Like 1000 miles away.
GovAg
Not much to do besides eat and go to church.

And I hate to be the break it to you Oregon, but the Cowboy has closed.

Shreveport is a little more than an hours drive if you like to gamble.

rwtxag83
AG
The Arkansas State Park 'Crater of Diamonds' is pretty close, so there's that. We ent there once and actually had a great time with family.
rwtxag83
AG
Oh, it was also the fictional starting point for the load of Coors Beer in the movie 'Smoky and the Bandit' that they led to the thirsty folks in Atlanta.

Personally, I think this fact alone should be impetus for the City fathers to place a monument or one of those Texas Historical plaques to get the general public to stop and take notice, take family photos, etc.

CrottyKid
AG
We need a Smokey and the Bandit museum, pronto!
CaddoAggie96
AG
There's a good tex-mex place in downtown called Zapatas.

I am up there about once a week for work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.