Is A&M admitting too many stupids?

3,545 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Its Texas Aggies, dammit
unimboti nkum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I remember quite a few world-class mouth-breathers when I was at A&M from '94-'98 and can't imagine it's gotten much better.

I proofed an essay for a suite-mate my sophomore year and he was barely literate. It was sad and shocking.
Soso nikinombiki maaki dii.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I mean....you have an ag tag soooooo.....
PatAg
AG
unimboti nkum said:

I remember quite a few world-class mouth-breathers when I was at A&M from '94-'98 and can't imagine it's gotten much better.

I proofed an essay for a suite-mate my sophomore year and he was barely literate. It was sad and shocking.
It's more likely that the avg student was dumber back then.
wangus12
AG
Have you been over to the zoo
Drawkcab
PatAg said:

unimboti nkum said:

It's more likely that the avg student was dumber back then.

Yep. If you don't realize that, OP, guess what that means.
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
Too 8-10% at many crappy high schools is a very low bar. Filter those automatic admittees with a reasonable SAT/ACT threshold and I'd expect better quality overall.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I'm pretty sure I couldn't get in today.
PoohAh97
AG
Maybe every high school is just making everybody slightly stupider than they used to be.
average_joker
AG
PoohAh97 said:

Maybe every high school is just making everybody slightly stupider than they used to be.

We have a winner!
BostonAg74
The problem is that A&M lowered the bar for a couple of guys a long time ago, and one of them became Governor and the other became Chancellor, and they doubled down on the stupid...so here we are.
zephyr88
AG
I know plenty of "smart" people who are dumb as rocks. I'd rather have a bunch of lunch-pail kids willing to work hard than a bunch of research assistant types.
aTm2004
AG
Its Texas Aggies, dammit said:

Too 8-10% at many crappy high schools is a very low bar. Filter those automatic admittees with a reasonable SAT/ACT threshold and I'd expect better quality overall.
How many Top 10% auto-admits take the SAT seriously? I woke up hung over the morning I went to take mine because I had already been admitted to A&M and Texas and they just needed a score. I had zero interest going anywhere else where a score would matter.
p1 Claire
AG
GUILTY.
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
Provide notice that there is a reasonable SAT threshold and qualified students would take it seriously. And maybe a lot of unqualified students would not get in.

aTm2004 said:

Its Texas Aggies, dammit said:

How many Top 10% auto-admits take the SAT seriously? I woke up hung over the morning I went to take mine because I had already been admitted to A&M and Texas and they just needed a score. I had zero interest going anywhere else where a score would matter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.