Why are Texas A&M and Virginia Tech still Senior Military Colleges?

3,810 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Caesar4
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Per US Army Regulation 145-1: Chapter 2, Section 2-1(b):

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r145_1.pdf
Quote:

Military colleges. These are institutions that meet the following criteria:

(1) Grant baccalaureate degrees.
(2) Require a course in military training during the undergraduate course for all undergraduate students who are physically fit
(3) Organize cadets into a corps of cadets under military discipline.
(4) Require all members of the corps (including members enrolled in the ROTC) to be in uniform when on campus.
(5) Have as objectives the development of the student's character through military training and the regulation of conduct according to principles of military discipline.
(6) Meet military standards similar to those maintained at the service academies.
Since these two schools no longer require all students to take military training, why are they still Senor Military Colleges?
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

...who are physically fit.

Do you think Listeater was physically fit?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
wbt5845 said:

Quote:

(2) Require a course in military training during the undergraduate course for all undergraduate students who are physically fit
(4) Require all members of the corps (including members enrolled in the ROTC) to be in uniform when on campus.
(5) Have as objectives the development of the student's character through military training and the regulation of conduct according to principles of military discipline.
(6) Meet military standards similar to those maintained at the service academies.
Since these two schools no longer require all students to take military training, why are they still Senor Military Colleges?

PigInABlanket
AG
The rest of the regulation excuses females who don't wish to participate and any student excused by a Professor of Military Science.
Wildman15
AG
You'll get much better responses on the military forum
Win At Life
AG
wangus12
AG
Probably just grandfathered in
Drawkcab
PigInABlanket said:

The rest of the regulation excuses females who don't wish to participate and any student excused by a Professor of Military Science.

Why are there more posts beyond this correct answer?
ArmyAg2002
AG
wbt5845 said:

Quote:

North Grorgia and Norwich would no longer qualify by the same standard.
PoohAh97
AG
Drawkcab said:

PigInABlanket said:

Is there a professor of Military Science whose job it is to rubber-stamp tens of thousands of "excused" students? Are they excusing themselves when they don't check the "I want to join the Corps of Cadets" box? I know it sounds petty, but regulations can get pretty petty.
Drawkcab
PoohAh97 said:

Drawkcab said:

PigInABlanket said:

Is there a professor of Military Science whose job it is to rubber-stamp tens of thousands of "excused" students? Are they excusing themselves when they don't check the "I want to join the Corps of Cadets" box? I know it sounds petty, but regulations can get pretty petty.

Yes. The Commandant of the Corps of Cadets. I read somewhere years ago that he issues a blanket excuse for everyone. I'll see if I can find it.

Update: Can't find it.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
ValleyRatAg
AG
The acronym for the Professor of Naval Science was PNS. It still makes me laugh a little.
wbt5845
AG
Drawkcab said:

Yes. The Commandant of the Corps of Cadets. I read somewhere years ago that he issues a blanket excuse for everyone.
Here he is stamping the forms.

randy828
AG
aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Would you want to meet her on the battlefield?

Scoopen Skwert
AG
randy828 said:

aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Would you want to meet her on the battlefield?

Heck yes!!! Center mass is so big even a POG could put rounds on target.
Caesar4
AG
Apologies for the ttt, I was just following the current VaTech/VCU baseball game and was reminded of the similarities between A&M and VaTech. (FYI: https://vt.edu/about/traditions.html)

Addressing OP's question, I suppose it depends on the unclear verbiage of item #2
Quote:

As I read it, the undergrad course is required and the purpose of the course is for all undergrad fit students (there must be some physical aspect, I suppose).

But, the requirement doesn't explicitly/clearly state which students are required to take the course. IMO, the existence of the course is sufficient.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.