Is A&M admitting too many students?

8,602 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fisted Lamb
Post removed:
by user
abacavir
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OMG Im so worried.
Cromagnum
AG
There are at least 20k more students there than when I attended and pretty much no change in infrastructure. Of course it's crowded as hell.
John Francis Donaghy
Yes
redd38
AG
Yes, obviously. Texas A&M isn't about doing what's best, though. Doing things biggest is more their style. So being overcrowded is all part of the plan.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Crank 'em out, baby. Gotta get those Ags on the street with those "University Studies" degrees that are in such high demand.
aTm2004
AG
Yes. They need to admit about half as many for the next 20 years.
Duncan Idaho
If admitting more students ts is what needed to happen so that C Stat could get a stip club on George Bush, I am fine with lowering admission standards down to tech's level.
LupinusTexensis
I did see a woman get mowed down on northgate crossing university while I was there. That was more alcohol related though.
bmks270
AG
Yes... 70% admission rate. I mean LOL.
aTm2004
AG
LupinusTexensis said:

I did see a woman get mowed down on northgate crossing university while I was there. That was more alcohol related though.

He's the one in the Obama mask.
aggie_fan13
AG
Haven't we done this topic multiple times before ?
Tatem
azulAg said:

no
GrayMatter
AG
azulAg said:

yes

OP, quit your *****in and post boobs.
Joe Exotic
AG
bmks270 said:

That includes PSA and Blinn Team per an admissions office post on the academic board.

The fact is, most of the people posting on this thread probably wouldn't get full admission today.
bmks270
AG
Bo Darville said:

bmks270 said:

That includes PSA and Blinn Team per an admissions office post on the academic board.

The fact is, most of the people posting on this thread probably wouldn't get full admission today.

What is the actual number? Why is Blinn team reported in USNWR number? What is PSA?
Stat Monitor Repairman
This 'merica man. Bigger is better. Pump them numbers up!
aggiepaintrain
AG
no but Blinn is.
Post removed:
by user
Joe Exotic
AG
bmks270 said:

Bo Darville said:

bmks270 said:

What is the actual number? Why is Blinn team reported in USNWR number? What is PSA?

PSA is a program where a student attends an affiliated school in the A&M system and is given full admission at a later date if they achieve certain grades/hours.

I think the reason they are included is because they don't have a category for partial or conditional admission. In their eyes these programs count as admission.
PatAg
AG
Isn't part of it the local population increasing as well?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Need to direct more of these top 10% kids to system schools vs. whichever one they want.
gigem70
AG
Yes
infinity ag
aTm2004 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Why did this jackass jump in front of the bus?

I feel for the bus driver. A worthless moran could have ruined his life.
infinity ag
FAT SEXY said:

GrayMatter said:

azulAg said:

yes

OP, quit your *****in and post boobs.

how did an asian woman get so big?
store bought?
bmks270
AG
Bo Darville said:

bmks270 said:

Bo Darville said:

bmks270 said:

PSA is a program where a student attends an affiliated school in the A&M system and is given full admission at a later date if they achieve certain grades/hours.

I think the reason they are included is because they don't have a category for partial or conditional admission. In their eyes these programs count as admission.

So, are other state schools measured the same way? Does tu have a similar admissions funnel.
Joe Exotic
AG
They don't have to. They got to lower their top 10% requirement.
DannyDuberstein
AG
yes, tu has a program called cap. They will admit them to a system school (don't always get their choice - could end up in San Anton, Tyler, etc) and will admit to Austin after one year of grades are high enough. But not necessarily to the college they want. That's the wild card with a lot of these funnel programs.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Once the top 10% kids start making up 75% of your fish enrollment, the state allows the schools to start elevating the auto admit threshold. Since tu has been at that 75% cap for several years, they are now down to just auto admitting the top 6%. However, we aren't at the 75% limit yet, partly because the classes we are taking are so big.
Jack Cheese
AG
I hate tu as much or more than anyone, but having gone through the admissions mill with a couple of kids so far, I have far more respect for what tu is doing than A&M these days.

tu is land locked. They cannot significantly increase their student body. Their response is to build their system schools into respectable schools in their own right. UTD is close to tier one status (if not there already) for example.

A&M on the other hand is using their newly-acquired system schools as a feeder system through PSA to 1) keep dollars inside the system 2) backfill spots in the soph class that are vacated when unqualified students drop out who were initially admitted under the top 10% rule.

PSA is a scam imo. You pay full boat price ($20k+) at a substandard feeder school like A&M Corpus Christi or Tarleton for a year or two in hopes of getting into College Station rather than going to a good community college for 1/4 that price. It's foolish.

Don't even get me started on the scam that is the RELLIS campus in College Station. It's another deplorable money grab by John Sharpe.

Through Blinn Team, PSA and RELLIS, he's monetizing nostalgia for the College Station A&M experience, selling to Aggie parents whose kids aren't able to get full admission into A&M.
bmks270
AG
Jack Cheese said:

I hate tu as much or more than anyone, but having gone through the admissions mill with a couple of kids so far, I have far more respect for what tu is doing than A&M these days.

tu is land locked. They cannot significantly increase their student body. Their response is to build their system schools into respectable schools in their own right. UTD is close to tier one status (if not there already) for example.

A&M on the other hand is using their newly-acquired system schools as a feeder system through PSA to 1) keep dollars inside the system 2) backfill spots in the soph class that are vacated when unqualified students drop out who were initially admitted under the top 10% rule.

PSA is a scam imo. You pay full boat price ($20k+) at a substandard feeder school like A&M Corpus Christi or Tarleton for a year or two in hopes of getting into College Station rather than going to a good community college for 1/4 that price. It's foolish.

Don't even get me started on the scam that is the RELLIS campus in College Station. It's another deplorable money grab by John Sharpe.

Through Blinn Team, PSA and RELLIS, he's monetizing nostalgia for the College Station A&M experience, selling to Aggie parents whose kids aren't able to get full admission into A&M.

So Texas A&M is turning into some *******ized money grabbing mega university like university of Phoenix?
Joe Exotic
AG
No not all. That's ridiculous. University of Phoenix isn't even an accredited school. We can have these discussions without people making ridiculous comparisons.
australopithecus robustus
I think the growth, size and approach towards maximizing the niche A&M has for Texas is great! It's good that we're not trying to beat UT at their own game anymore and doing our own thing.

CS needs other industry besides A&M, which is a separate issue to be sure, but the growth is long overdue and exciting.
NoahAg
aTm2004 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Awesome.
FunnyFarm14
AG
Quote:

CS needs other industry besides A&M, which is a separate issue to be sure, but the growth is long overdue and exciting.
Would be nice. Houston/Dallas being the O&G meccas I dont see that trend moving to BCS. Could be wrong as the Spring/Woodlands used to be "too far" for O&G except anadarko, and now seeing the exodus of Exxons, XTOs etc to the area could be more to follow.

Give it 10 years.

Yes they still admit too many.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.