rolex

28,523 Views | 313 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OKC~Ag
Scimitar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ZOMG $17,000 HERMES ROSE GOLD APPLE EDITION WATCH OR GTFO
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Good to see you posting around here again.

For $17 k, you can probably hook up a very attractive Patek or a Vacheron Constantin or something of that sort.

Sort of the same issue with paying after market prices on stainless steel Rolex - you can get better for the same price.
Scimitar
AG
Eh, don't get used to it

But agreed....was being facetious

Although I fail to see the vanity in wearing a watch most people can't recognize, let alone whose name most people can't pronounce
aTm2004
AG
For $17k...DO WANT

Scimitar
AG
To be fair, for that amount of money, it better have more complications than just a second hand. I'm not interested in the materials used.
aggie_fan13
AG
so you're more on utility than quality ?
Scimitar
AG
They're one and the same

Chinese sweatshop produced trinkets are no match to handmade, micro engineered works of art
Joe Exotic
AG
Scimitar said:

They're one and the same

Chinese sweatshop produced trinkets are no match to handmade, micro engineered works of art

As an engineer I find this somewhat contradictory. Theres far more micro engineering and precision in the electronic smart watches than could ever hope to be in the antiquated mechanical designs.
Scimitar
AG
Handmade, by definition, is superior to machine made

Far less skills to design something to work in Chinese sweatshops than to do the work yourself by hand
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Do it. I passed on a Milgauss blue face at retail this summer and could have flipped it.

If I ever see a GMT under glass, it's happening
aTm2004
AG
To me, it's 1b on my list. My Sub was 1a. I tried one on last time I was in Vegas and pondered whether or not it was worth my marriage. I also really like the Pelagos. Black dive watches are my thing.
Scimitar
AG
Hey, go for it man....I had a sub back in the day and it was a solid watch. That diver you posted is fantastic, but as I've gotten older, I've gotten pickier and every time I look at watches, I walk away not seeing anything I like (nor having a clear idea of what I'm looking for).
aTm2004
AG
Maybe one day.

Current black diver list is:
SKX007
Omega SMP 2254.50
Rolex 16610

My dad is wanting to get a nice watch and I'm on the hunt for a PO for him (bigger wrists) and I'm trying to see if my buddy who has the Orange PO that he never wears wants to let it go (for me). He's still holding onto it and actually wore it recently when he sent his other SMP in for service. He was buying a nice DJ2 when I was trying on the AP above.
Scimitar
AG
I went through a Chornograph phase and also consolidated. My two "nice" ones are

• Omega Speedmaster Pro (Moonwatch edition) with a brown alligator strap
  • Breitling Transocean Unitime World Time Chronograph with a black rubber strap

Amazing what a strap can do for a watch....might look into a blue one for that Breitling at some point
aTm2004
AG
Yeah, I have a lot of different strap options for all of my watches, but the Sub is the only one I refuse to do one for. Nice combo of rubber and nato for the SMP, 007, and Moster. Keeps them feeling new.
JSKolache
AG
aTm2004 said:

To me, it's 1b on my list. My Sub was 1a. I tried one on last time I was in Vegas and pondered whether or not it was worth my marriage. I also really like the Pelagos. Black dive watches are my thing.
Blue Pelagos, FTW.

I felt a little weird wearing a nice watch at first. But my wife gladly showed off her engagement ring to anyone who'd look, beginning on day one, without giving it a thought. Its a cultrual thing. Nice watches are jewelry, get it. Wonder what my aggie ring is worth these days, gotta be a couple Gs, right?

Azul will never have a daytona if he doesnt get a job first. Get off TA and go get paid.
aggie_fan13
AG
trust me mate, all my focus and attention has been to finding one. starting to get insomnia over this
some men you just cant reach ...
PoohAh97
AG
You got any contact info? No reason Texags can't be part of Networking. I ain't posting my ****, of course--I like to keep a low profile.
aggie_fan13
AG
Slide in my dms
Carny89
I wanna own 3. One for each one of my kids. I have one so far.
phatbc
Just get a high quality rep.

The two most successful rich ass business people I know only rock reps (and the 1:1 can't tell without a microscope ones, not the canal street cheapos). 300 bucks versus 10,000 for similar materials.
hairloom
Well I thought watches were dumb but I got an iwatch recently and I like it.
OKC~Ag
Help me with a Rolex purchase.

This is not for me nor do I care for it. I made a promise and to keep a promise...

Questions:
Rolex official dealers charge MSRP? is there any bargaining?

Is there any other way to purchase Rolex on a discount that is genuine ( don't want a rollex Nigerian guy is selling for a steep discount at the corner of Chinatown in New York)

Is AuthenticWatch.com trustworthy for genuine articles?

Pawnshop route, again is it worth it? what the average saving from used Rolex and confidence of it is genuine?

I appreciate any help and sight...
Kurt Gowdy
AG
It's probably the worst time to try and buy a Rolex as demand is far outweighing supply.

You will be hard pressed to get a discount at an AD unless it's a very undesirable model.

You'll pay over MSRP if you buy from a gray dealer.

Pawn shops will probably be the worst place to buy as they'll probably have older models with high premium prices.

Which model are you looking for?
Spoon
AG
I've never worn a watch but I've always been a fan of the Heuer Monoco because of Steve McQueen in Le Mans. If the lawyers ever get out of the way and allow me to close on the sale of my business, a Monoco is on my short list of indulgeances.
OKC~Ag
Kurt Gowdy said:

It's probably the worst time to try and buy a Rolex as demand is far outweighing supply.

You will be hard pressed to get a discount at an AD unless it's a very undesirable model.

You'll pay over MSRP if you buy from a gray dealer.

Pawn shops will probably be the worst place to buy as they'll probably have older models with high premium prices.

Which model are you looking for?
So, try to buy it in January after the Holiday?

So no Pawn shops and no internet, go with AD?

Looking for Lady Datejust oyster

thanks for the reply...
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Oh - that model should be relatively easy to find. The hardest part will be finding the dial and metal combination you want.

I'd go to an AD and try to get it ordered. If you want a two tone you may get a small discount. If you want stainless steel you may not get the discount but it doesn't hurt to ask with this model.
permabull
AG
Kurt Gowdy
AG
I'd look at the gray dealers too since you're not opposed to used and those models can usually be had with a discount.

DavidSW has a lot of women's DJ. If you're in Houston/Austin/SA, Takuya could probably source something for you as well.
gooberhead
AG
Try swisswatchexpo.com. Great selection, good prices, easy to deal with.
Canyon99
Kurt Gowdy said:

I'd look at the gray dealers too since you're not opposed to used and those models can usually be had with a discount.

DavidSW has a lot of women's DJ. If you're in Houston/Austin/SA, Takuya could probably source something for you as well.

Excellent references
aggie_fan13
AG
I hate you all
OKC~Ag
Thank you all for a reply.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.