Hug Your Pup For Us Tonight

9,955 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CaddoAggie96
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife put the golden's collar in her bed so the other animals could take a smell. The world's best beagle has been sleeping with it the last 2 days.

HHAG
AG
So sorry to hear that. I have put four really good dogs down in my life and I have a beautiful 8 year old GSD snoozing with her head on my leg at this moment. When we were doing the morning walk today, it was apparent that she is getting a bit old, a little slow, not so interested in chasing birds... But, I will make sure that she goes out with minimal pain and with all my love. Damn, I wish they lived longer.
Retired Principal
AG
Sorry to hear. Had to put down a 15 year old Boston Terrier last month. Great dog. Tough as nails.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
When I was 18, our dog we had since I was 5 could even hold down water. We took her to be put down, and I had never done it, so we handed her to the vet and 10 min later, they brought her out in a big plastic bag. I was stunned to know she had been put down that way, away from us, on some cold table with strangers . I didnt know how it was done then, but I swore to myself that would never happen again.

Since then, I have had to put down 2 dogs and 2 cats, all more than 10 years my friends and companions.

I am sentimental, so it kills me every time. Rips me up to say goodbye. But I am there, looking them in the face, petting them, telling them it will be okay and that I'll see them again one day.

I'll be crying and telling the vets how I'm sorry I cant compose myself better, how a grown man should be able to handle it with more toughness, but it's just so hard , you see, to say goodbye to a loyal and true friend, and I hope they understand.

Cant handle saying goodbye to my pets that way. I have always hoped they knew how much I loved them, especially when we are saying goodbye like that.

Cant think of a single animal I've had to do that with that cant make me misty.

I miss them all. All the way back to poor Bingo, alone on a table waithstangers, when it should have been me.

I hope she's forgiven me, and I still cant wait to see her again.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Sorry for you Muck, your story just reminded me of all the friends I've had to say goodbye to as well. Hope you take comfort in all the happiness and joy you brought to each orher.

And the cartoon by PC Principal made me lose it.
Hey Nav
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
She is one with the force now.
BaitShack
AG
Pup hugged, walked, and taken to the dog park. Sorry for your loss.
Woody2006
AG

I'm having to say goodbye to my 15 year old lab. I got him while at A&M as a 6-week old puppy from the animal shelter back when it was off Finfeather. He's had a helluva ride and has almost killed himself more times than I can count, but he was the sweetest and best dog I could have ever hoped for. This sucks.

This was him a few years back at Rattlesnake Ledge when he could still go on hikes.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Sorry man. Dogs are the best.
saw em off
Duckhook said:

I've shared this a number of times. Somebody sent it to me after we had to put our dog down last year. I know how you and your family are feeling.

This has to be one of the most heart-wrenching things I've ever read.

Condolences to the OP.
DG-Ag
AG
So sorry to hear of your loss. As others on this thread, I know what you're going through. Back in April we finally had to say goodbye to our 15-year old English Springer. One of the saddest days of my life. We got her back in 2004 because my wife and I were at our wit's end as to how to cure our daughter of her irrational fear of dogs. We had tried everything. Finally, we decided to try the tough love approach - forcing our daughter to live with a dog. And God couldn't have hand-picked a better dog to help our daughter. I'm getting misty-eyed as I type. She was a sweetie and I still miss her greatly even though we've since gotten another Springer puppy.

Again, very sorry you're having to go through this.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Thanks for the additional love. It's only been 2 weeks and yesterday we found out our beagle appears to also have cancer, probably lymphoma. He is 13 and perfectly happy right now, we have already decided not to subject him to chemotherapy or invasive surgery once the diagnosis is made
Makes it a struggle to be very happy with a God who let's you know both your dogs have cancer in a 15 day span with one dying so quickly. My wife has had the beagle since he was 5 months old and he turned 13 in july. We have decided to start looking for another golden sooner rather than later. A house with no dogs sounds awful for us and our kids
permabull
AG
HBCanine08
AG
I am sorry about your loss. I have an old GR as well and am dreading the day. Did the vet say which vaccine caused the reaction?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It wasn't a vaccine, she had a tumor that burst. it's in the original post.
HBCanine08
AG
Sorry about that.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
We're still all missing our sweet Bella.

But Daisy came home with us last Saturday. And she's brought lots of smiles with her.

fasthorse05
Damn, Woody. Obviously, it's been a while since I've seen this thread, however, I'm sure you still have a giant void. Awesome pic---that's one happy dog.

Shelby29
I am sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. I lost my dog suddenly two weeks ago. I found her dead in her crate on Saturday morning. I am still grieving.
Woody2006
AG
Thanks. He was a great dog and it's definitely been different without him. I haven't not had a dog for over 15 years, and it's so weird now. I still feel the urge to go outside and take a walk when I wake up and before I go to bed.

AggieRob93
AG
Woody2006 said:

Thanks. He was a great dog and it's definitely been different without him. I haven't not had a dog for over 15 years, and it's so weird now. I still feel the urge to go outside and take a walk when I wake up and before I go to bed.

The hardest part - besides having to make the final decision on their behalf - is not finding them at home after a day at work.

They are always there, regardless of your demeanor/attitiude/feelings, until they aren't. You never know how much of your life is occupied by your biggest fan and shadow until they are no longer a part of it.
Ag with kids
AG
Dogs don't have souls, do they?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Sorry to hear that Woody.
I also got a dog while a student at A&M. Someone in Bryan had some labs so I went to see. There were several black and yellow labs and there was this little yellow guy kinda over by himself. Owner said he was the runt and I didn't want him. But I did. I took him home. Grew into a 95 pound dog that always stayed a puppy. Was great around my two kids as they were babies and toddlers. They even tried to ride him and he didn't care.
That runt was the best dog ever.
TecRecAg
AG
I've got a 13.5 year old lab and I know the day will come. Luckily we have a 5 year old lab to help carry the torch.

I cuss my dogs when they track in mud but I can't see myself without one.
Punked Shank
AG
12 months since lymphoma took my best friend, Rocky.

It definitely sucks. Had him since I graduated in 2012.

v
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
14 months after Bella from the OP took her trip across the rainbow bridge, we've adopted Ellie, all of 7 weeks old.

Slamn Sharpe
congratulations

I made mine a collar an hour ago. I can't spoil her enough. I love my dogs
MouthBQ98
AG
We have a collie named Ellie. It's a good name.
CaddoAggie96
AG
I didn't need all these feels today but congrats on the new pup!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.