Hug Your Pup For Us Tonight

10,022 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CaddoAggie96
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Took our 12-year-old Golden Retriever to the vet Wednesday morning for a groom and some shots.
They called around noon asking if she had any back leg trouble, as she was refusing to get up.
Took her to ER last night believing she had had an allergic reaction to one of the vaccines - heart rate up, low blood pressure, low body temp, no energy.
This morning they figured out it was not an allergic reaction, but a ruptured tumor on her heart. Fairly common in Goldens and German Shepherds. Filled her heart sac with a fluid that was making her heart work harder than it could handle.
Our amazing Aggie vet helped us make the right decision. We took our kids out of school this morning and drove to the vet office, arriving in time to tell her goodbye and for our girls to pet her. She died less than a minute later, before they even administered the injection.

My wife and I got her in July 2009, 2 weeks after we got married. When our girls were babies, and a guy was over to fix the alarm system, she stood in front of them as they did tummy time and bared her teeth at the guy until he left.

It's our girls' first experience with death, and it is terrible. And our 13-year-old beagle, who has been our Golden's best friend for those 10 years, keeps walking around the house looking for her.

Hug your dog.

Geralt of Rivia
S
Sorry to hear that
Claude!
You have my condolences.

"A dog does not live as long as a man and this natural law is the font of many tears. If a boy and a puppy might grow to manhood and doghood together, and together grow old, and so in due course die, full many a heartache might be avoided. But the world is not so ordered, and dogs will die and men will weep for them so long as there are dogs and men."
JMac03
AG
I am sorry to hear this. Losing a pet is so hard. I am glad everyone was able to be with her in her last moments. And I love our Aggie vet too.
Unemployed
AG
Sorry, bro.
marqueebrad
AG
Hugging Skeeter now - she hates it, but too bad. She's a really old dog but hanging in, it's a tough thing to handle.
Duckhook
AG
I've shared this a number of times. Somebody sent it to me after we had to put our dog down last year. I know how you and your family are feeling.
Know Your Enemy
AG
So sorry.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Oso96
AG
Lost one of Golden retrievers in May so I know what you are going through. Similar to you we got her right before we got married and the kids first death experience.
Thoughts and prayers
Marsh
AG
I'll Never Forget a Dog Named Beau

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Duckhook said:

I've shared this a number of times. Somebody sent it to me after we had to put our dog down last year. I know how you and your family are feeling.

Thank you for posting this. I cried really hard when I read it, but it hopefully will help as the days go on.
Claude!
Crystal Blue Meth said:

I'll Never Forget a Dog Named Beau

I'd never seen that before. I have an old dog named Beau. As you may have guessed, it got a little misty.
wangus12
AG
Its always tough. My childhood dog died while I was at A&M during finals. My parents didn't tell me until after I finished my classes. It still hurts not getting to say good bye. Took me nearly 8 years after graduation to finally get a new pup. She turns 1 in October. My wife's dog is 8 or so and I dread how sad its gonna be when she goes
BlueMiles
AG
I'm sorry. That day is coming for mine too and it's going to hurt.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
So sorry for your loss.

My little "dude" has kept me alive and that dog is one of the greatest gifts God gave me.

Dogs are better than humans.
ChemEAg08
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Duckhook said:

Thank you for posting this. I cried really hard when I read it, but it hopefully will help as the days go on.

Damn dust in here.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Duckhook said:

That is beautiful.

AgsMyDude
AG
Really sorry, OP.
512Ag
AG
So sorry, Muck.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I'm sorry. Losing a dog is terrible. It's been over 2 years since I had to unexpectedly say goodbye, and it is still hard to think about that day. I've had a couple of really bad things happen in my life lately, and I wish so badly that my boy was here to comfort me. There is nothing in this world like a dog.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Sorry for your loss
P.C. Principal
Duckhook said:

oh man. ohhhh man. this one got me.

i'm so sorry, OP. if humans were like dogs the world would be a better place.
CaddoAggie96
AG
If you ever have to make that call, go in with them. They will look for you. It's tough but be there for them.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Sincerely appreciate all the support on this thread. Woke my girls up for school today and one of them asked, "What are we going to do her birthday?" It just kills you.

Here's our girl back in 2012, when she was still the baby of the family.

Fonzie Scheme
AG
Saddest damn story I've read in a while. I am genuinely sorry for your loss.

Edit to add that Goldies are just about the sweetest dogs that ever lived. I don't know who bred the breed but they epitomize the phrase "We don't deserve dogs."
IIIHorn
I am very sorry for your loss.
Duckhook
AG
CaddoAggie96 said:

If you ever have to make that call, go in with them. They will look for you. It's tough but be there for them.

Absolutely do this. My mom had to put her dog down a few years ago while my dad was in the hospital. She couldn't bear to do it, so I took care of it for her. It wasn't my dog, but of course I knew it well. I stayed with their dog during the process and was glad I did, although it was still pretty emotional for me.
permabull
AG
bushytailed
AG
So sorry for your loss. We had a big scare with my "old man dog" a couple days ago and for a bit I thought I was going to have to make the decision. He's been getting extra hugs lately.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
I'm so sorry for your loss. Last year I came home at half time from eating wings at a sports bar and watching the Clemson game. Within 20 minutes my dog began to pass away. She was 14 years old and had heart valve problems and because she was on a slow decline and there were episodes I knew that time was limited.
She passed away peacefully as we comforted her. I said didn't give a damn about the football game and didn't even know the score until the next day.
It was quite possibly the hardest thing that's ever happened to me even though she lived a long and happy life. She went to many tailgates on campus wearing an A&M jersey and hung out once with Miss Reveille. Losing her was a punch in the gut. I miss her every single day but I try to realize that I was very lucky to have her for as long as I did.
Blessings to you and your family.
beanbean
Duckhook said:

In tears right now reading this. My wife and I have had 3 dogs the whole time we've been together. (18 years now) We had to put one down in May of 2017, one down this may, and we are most likely within about 3 months of putting the last one down. All 3 lived past the age of 17 and got very bad dementia at the end. She had the oldest dog before her and I met. It's been a very tough last several years living with all this dog dementia.

Sorry OP, not trying to hijack, just wanted to share my story. I'm very sorry about your dog. It is so damn tough.
Texasclipper
AG
You and your family have my sympathy as we are going through it ourselves. Last Saturday we had to put down our 15 year old dachshund. My 20 year old son grew up with her and is crushed. We all are. But she was deaf, had arthritis, was going blind, had a choking cough, and dementia. It was time.
swimmerbabe11
My 17 year old dog passed this February. I just turned 30. I'm still not used to not having her. I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugging my dog extra for you tonight.
Potcake
AG
Quote:

i'm so sorry, OP. if humans were like dogs the world would be a better place.

Dogs are the best people.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.