Roku or Fire?

9,603 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Gil Renard
cz308
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Serious question, why all the love for Roku? I have firesticks, but I decided to hook up the guest tv to the Roku 4 since we canceled DirecTV. It doesn't seem like you can install much when compared to the firestick.
babyshark
Went w the Roku. It's meh compared to my Panasonic smart tv. It'll do but not as convenient. Unfortunately the tv apps will no longer be supported next month.
nai06
AG
cz308 said:

Serious question, why all the love for Roku? I have firesticks, but I decided to hook up the guest tv to the Roku 4 since we canceled DirecTV. It doesn't seem like you can install much when compared to the firestick.
what are you looking to install?

Also the find remote feature on the Roku Ultra is pretty amazing. I use that thing all the time.
cz308
nai06 said:

cz308 said:

what are you looking to install?

Also the find remote feature on the Roku Ultra is pretty amazing. I use that thing all the time.
Honestly, I'm not sure. I quit using it a while back and got comfortable with the firesticks. Right now I have Hulu, Netflix and Pluto on it, but that's about it. I don't see a way to make the VPN work easily as far as just loading up the app and go like on the firestick or any other phone app. I know it can be done, but just not as simple as the other.

I've looked at some private codes, but I can't get nowheretv or whatever it's called to work. The rest of the public codes don't seem to work or do much.
Ronyaria
Firestick is really great I guess. I use it so much, and there are many apps which I like. I recommend that you check out the resource from https://www.firestickhow.com/best-firestick-apps.html with those apps, and you will surely like it a lot too. Good luck with it, guys. Hope I was helpful to you here
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Can Anthony strike a deal where only good Aggie games get shown on Roku?
Vernada
AG
Sarduakar said:

Can Anthony strike a deal where only good Aggie games get shown on Roku?
normally people are trying to get lots of content - not minimize it.
thomasstraub
But Roku streaming devices have a wider selection of channels. Both devices give you access to the most popular channels like Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, HBO Max, Disney Plus, Hulu, etc. But Roku offers over 3,000 free channels. The Fire Stick offers closer to 200 free channels.
Anchorhold
jamespaine
Why all the love for Roku, seriously? I had firesticks, but since we dropped DirecTV, I choose to connect the guest TV to the Roku 4. In comparison to the firestick, it doesn't appear like you can install very much.

The primary one is that, like many other things, there is not much of a distinction between a Fire Stick and a Roku here https://www.pikashowhd.com/pikashow-for-roku-tv/. On both systems, all the well-known apps are accessible, and utilising them is essentially the same.
Anchorhold
It has been a few years but the way I remember when I had both:
- the firestick was slower or errored when starting a game or show
- I liked the platform on the roku better
- the roku stick was $5 cheaper
- as I stated above, "yeah that fire sucked"
GreasenUSA
AG
jamespaine said:

Why all the love for Roku, seriously? I had firesticks, but since we dropped DirecTV, I choose to connect the guest TV to the Roku 4. In comparison to the firestick, it doesn't appear like you can install very much.

The primary one is that, like many other things, there is not much of a distinction between a Fire Stick and a Roku here https://www.pikashowhd.com/pikashow-for-roku-tv/. On both systems, all the well-known apps are accessible, and utilising them is essentially the same.
Roku 4 is almost 8 years old. I know they stopped supporting the Roku 3 a couple years ago, so it's probably time to upgrade anyway.

Nvidia Shield is the best, but in a different price range. After that, I've always much preferred the ease of use of a Roku to Fire.
AggieArchitect04
AG
First time hearing about Nvidia Shield. Looks pretty nice. Looks like they really push the upscaling engine or AI. What else does it have that makes it superior? Can you play games on it?
Gil Renard
AG
Roku for sports streaming

Apple TV device is worth it for the espn 4 split screen
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.