Has anyone here renamed their child?

3,302 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PoohAh97
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife has a friend from HS who followed the Aiden trend with their first child. The boy is now 8 or so and has been renamed George jr. after his dad.

I suspect this will become more common with similar names.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I guess it's good that people are realizing the folly of trying to create individual little snowflakes by giving them individual names, but I think one you make the mistake, you should have to live with it. It's like a bad tattoo.
Duncan Idaho
There are 3 ways the op could be interpreted:
1)They went to court and legally changed the kids name?

That is weird but will probably be the most prudent...but still strange.

2) just started calling the kid by his middle name.

Not uncommon and while it can be a hassle because people will be looking for a George on rosters that they will never find, it is the least "wtf"?

3)just randomly started calling him by some nickname.
Strange and lazy. And something I would never honor professionally unless he was my boss.

Of course the only name that matters is the one he was baptized as.
IrishTxAggie
AG
All those poor kids named after GOT characters.
Duncan Idaho
You are telling me that Eddard isnt going to slay?
NoahAg
My poor kid (born in 2003) is about to be on his 4th name. He's gone by Dennis, Mike, and Kevin. He's deciding between Donald J and Jimbo.
Slicer97
AG
No. My wife and I decided against giving our kid a stupid name in the first place, so the need for a change has never arisen.
Tatem
My so cousin is married to a Greek (Greek school and all that). He made her change their first borns name after leaving the hospital to something very Greek

I changed my middle name to my maiden name back in the day. I wish I had not
Bob Knights Paper Hands
This summer I have unofficially changed my oldest boy's name to Dumbass. His mother has not gotten on board with this name change, but I feel like it is most appropriate. After we complete the surgery to remove his head and my boot from his ass, I will consider changing his name back.
Win At Life
AG
Changed my son's last name to mine when I adopted him.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I recently met a 14 year old girl named Mercedes. Unless her parents rename her, I'll put the odds of her ending up on the pole at greater than 50%.
Builder93
AG
____den.

I never understood this trend. Did everyone discover their Viking roots at the same time?
Old RV Ag
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

I recently met a 14 year old girl named Mercedes. Unless her parents rename her, I'll put the odds of her ending up on the pole at greater than 50%.
Her parents from Latin America or at least Hispanic? In places like Argentina, Mercedes is a common name.
histag10
AG
family member legally changed their kids name when the kid was like 6 months old. The name they gave them didnt "fit" (I will 100% agree that it didnt), so they went through the court process and legally changed it.

Hopefully my kids wont see the need to change their names in the future. My son has a pretty classic name, and the name we have picked out for our daughter is a classic name as well.
SJEAg
AG

Mercedes (Heather Graham) was pretty hot in "License to Drive". Maybe her dad was inspired by that.
Tatem
Win At Life said:

Luckily we got to names baby tatem at the hospital, first, m and last name.
Claude!
Panthro Superman Dinosaur-Jones, right?
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Old RV Ag said:

Her parents from Latin America or at least Hispanic? In places like Argentina, Mercedes is a common name.

Nope. As white as snow.
jm94
AG
Before we had kids, my wife and I agreed to name our first son Robert, after both of our dads. It turned out that her first pregnancy was twin boys, so we had to come up with a second name, which was Andrew. However, despite knowing which would be born first based on womb logistics, we decided to wait until we'd "met" them for a bit. Our dads are both pretty mild mannered, so that was the main personality trait we were looking for. About two days after they were born, it was pretty clear that Baby A was the drama king, and Baby B was the calm one. So, they became Andrew and Robert, respectively.

We were way off. Bobby is the rabble-rouser, the button pusher, the quicker to complain. Andrew's pretty chill, especially compared to his brother. So, when they were about six months old, I wrote this in my blog about them:

Quote:

As a thought experiment, we wondered what it would take to switch them on purpose - the one we call Andrew would become Robert and vice versa. The truth is, it wouldn't take much.

We have no actual plans to do it, though.

As far as you people know.

So to answer the OP's question ... almost, for two children.

Or maybe we did.
Win At Life
AG
Tatem said:

Win At Life said:

Luckily we got to names baby tatem at the hospital, first, m and last name.

Well my son was 12 years old when I adopted him, so he'd already left the hospital .
Ragoo
AG
Great story
BenFiasco14
AG
I went to high school with a guy named Urhighness. No idea where he's at now, or what he's doing, but I doubt his name has changed.

No clue what his middle name was...
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Tatem
That's so awesome!
Know Your Enemy
AG
My son is named Walter Jr. but now he demands to be called Flynn for some reason. Stupid kid is obsessed with breakfast too.
TyHolden
AG
Named my son Fran.
Then switched to Sherminator 4 years later.
Then Kevbo 3 years later.
He's now an adult and recently changed his name to Slim Jim.
combat wombat™
AG
Mercedes is actually a perfectly acceptable name for a female. The automobile was named for a female named Mercedes. The problem now is that, at least in Anglo cultures, Mercedes refers to the car rather than a person. Mercedes is still a perfectly acceptable name for a female in Hispanic cultures.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

This summer I have unofficially changed my oldest boy's name to Dumbass. His mother has not gotten on board with this name change, but I feel like it is most appropriate. After we complete the surgery to remove his head and my boot from his ass, I will consider changing his name back.
Pretty sure that was my name too at that age.
IrishTxAggie
AG
CADE having a nice recovery for day after
DD88
AG
PoohAh97
AG
My sister asked me once if I thought "Aston Martin" was a good name for a boy. I said, why don't you just name him Food Stamp?

Note: This was an actual conversation but I stole my response from a movie (but I don't remember which movie).

Also, Toucan is a good name for a boy or a girl.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.