Aggie DJ Rob is currently running from College Station to Las Vegas.

7,324 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
BeardedBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Saw this on facebook and thought it needed to be here.
Quote:

The heart-wrenching saga of DJ Rob:

I think the world deserves to hear this story, because it is epic, tragic, and has kept me up at night for the last month.

DJ ROB (Robert Mwandia) of College Station, TX has been running since June 1.
Let's pause for a moment and consider everything you have done since June 1. You have likely lived out a good chunk of rich life experiences in the last 46 days (well, maybe not). And throughout all of that time, DJ Rob has been on the side of a busy highway, running. Since June 1, I've been on multiple trips with friends, started and completed large projects at work, spent many hours in my above-ground pool, and this entire time, DJ Rob has been running.

For those who don't know, DJ Rob challenged himself to run from College Station, TX to Las Vegas, Nevada in 45 days (yes, on foot). He calls the campaign "45 marathons in 45 days" because he has to run a little over 26 miles a day to make it to Vegas on time. He is doing it to raise money to bring an ACL-style music festival to College Station and bolster the otherwise dismal music scene. Yes I know it's unbelievable, ludicrous almost.

If running 1,336 miles through the scorching desert wasn't bad enough, here are some things that have happened along the way.

14 days into his journey, Rob's driver (The guy that picks him up after each marathon and drives him back to the start point the next day), quit on him. So Rob had to drive back to college station, find a new driver, and drive back to his checkpoint.

Rob notes on twitter that many drivers pee into bottles and toss them onto the highway and that he continually passes hot smelly bottles of urine as he treks through the desert.
On Day 27 he turned 34, and ran 34 miles to celebrate.

On Day 29, DJ Rob had emergency surgery to HAVE HIS APPENDIX REMOVED after it almost ruptured. His doctor gave him a 6 week recovery time. Silly doctor, 7 days later, Rob did 30 miles outside of Albuquerque. like what even.

He has had the cops called on him while running. Also, On day 43 when he entered Arizona, he was notified by the police that is illegal to walk on the highway. Fortunately, after hearing the story, the officer allowed him to keep running.

As DJ Rob now approaches the Nevada border, I must tell you about the saddest part of this story. Despite succeeding so far in his endeavor, in the face incredible odds, ROB'S KICKSTARTER HAS RAISED LESS THAN 3% OF ITS GOAL. HE GETS NOTHING IF HE DOESN'T MAKE THE GOAL. He is trying to raise the $100K by pre-selling festival tickets and asking for donations in exchange for merch on the kickstarter.

At this rate, DJ Rob will triumphantly succeed in this incredible journey across the US arriving in Las Vegas miraculously, yet at the same time fail miserably, and have virtually no impact. That is the thought that has caused me such deep distress. I don't know why this campaign hasn't picked up more buzz. Perhaps it's because he did it in the middle of the summer, when the majority of his target demographic is out of town staying with parents or working at summer camps. Maybe it's because music in BCS truly is dead.

All I ask is that you share this. Even if this campaign doesn't succeed, I want people to know this story. This man is a legend, consider supporting him if you can.

I don't know Rob, nor have I ever been to one of his shows. But the fact that this is occurring blows my mind and troubles me deeply.

Godspeed Rob.
Kickstarter link

disclaimer: I am fully aware that there are much more pressing tragedies occurring in our world. Please continue to apply your sympathy and finances to those.

Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Link does not work.
BeardedBear
AG
Thanks for the heads up, should be fixed now.
swc93
AG
Duncan Idaho
Yes this is a great idea.
It is certainly a lack of awareness that keeps college station from having a great music scene.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Knew robert in college. Dude was cool as hell and a super nice guy. Also played rugby with me and is a hell of an athlete.
ptothemo
AG
Seems like he could have just called Ja Rule if he wanted to put on a music festival. Much easier than all that running.
Beer Baron
AG
What I wouldn't give to have the chance to hear acts like Pyro Gyros, Max Wilson and the Disco Dogs, and SCREEEEECH! live on campus.
AgEng06
AG
That's all fine and dandy... but how does the OP's username make you feel?
Beer Baron
AG
Similar to the way a poster with the name "BlondWithTheBigTits" would make others feel.
expresswrittenconsent
Beer Baron said:

Similar to the way a poster with the name "BlondWithTheBigTits" would make others feel.

"The" is a nice touch.
Tobias Funke
AG
Or if you actually think a large music festival would be successful/profitable in BCS, you could, you know, put together a business plan and talk to investors/venues/the city about getting it off the ground.

But sure, run to Vegas instead.
Tobias Funke
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Or if you actually think a large music festival would be successful/profitable in BCS, you could, you know, put together a business plan and talk to investors/venues/the city about getting it off the ground.

But sure, run to Vegas instead.

And before someone says it- if he's already done all of these things and couldn't garner support, may be time to adjust or abandon your dream.
Beer Baron
AG
Is the bottled water stuck in customs? I can help! /chiken
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
When he gets to Vegas he should take the $3K, bet it all on black, and try to get to $100K
Furlock Bones
AG
this is dumb as hell.
chimpanzee
Tobias Funke
AG
Quote:

Over 10 years experience in the industry with 50 plus weddings, corporate events, fundraisers, parties/club gigs, 5k races, product launches, reunions amongst numerous other events.

5 events a year and <900 Facebook followers. No wonder nobody had any idea this was happening.

Like I'm all about following your dreams but c'mon.
BeardedBear
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Quote:

Over 10 years experience in the industry with 50 plus weddings, corporate events, fundraisers, parties/club gigs, 5k races, product launches, reunions amongst numerous other events.

5 events a year and <900 Facebook followers. No wonder nobody had any idea this was happening.

Like I'm all about following your dreams but c'mon.
I mean he's a resident DJ on NG, so he has more than 5 events per year.

I understand your criticism, but he's obviously going above and beyond what most people would consider to chase his dreams.
chimpanzee
I was once around some family acquaintances that had the bright idea of starting some Texas country music festival/radio show/undefined promotional effort up and running. I casually mentioned some of the common sense challenges of starting any type of commercial enterprise, and they tried to make me their business manager. I didn't return their calls after that. They were long on dreams, short of actual plans. Their ring leader went back to real estate scams and part time janitorial work last I heard.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
BeardedBear said:

I understand your criticism, but he's obviously going above and beyond what most people would consider to chase his dreams.
Doing something that makes no sense and has nothing to do with the thing you want to happen is not above and beyond, it's not understanding how to make something happen.

If I want Comic-Con to come to Cypress, I don't swim the English Channel and create a kickstarter page.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

If I want Comic-Con to come to Cypress, I don't swim the English Channel and create a kickstarter page.

Where can i contribute to your kickstarter?
expresswrittenconsent
Looks like around 1400 miles. That's dedication. Probably the most I could do would be a thousand. I've thought about it some and my plan is that I would walk five hundred miles and then I would walk five hundred more.
NoahAg
I don't know what DJ Rob is, and I'm a fan of ultra running, but this sounds like an ill-conceived idea. Did he at least watch Wayne's World 2 first?
PoohAh97
AG
What, you mean North By Northgate isn't still a thing? Uri Stone did all that work, though!
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I think the world deserves to hear this story
Stopped reading right there.

If you're begging for money, get to the ****ing point. This is like those guys on the street corner Downtown who always "Just wanna talk for a minute, ain't gonna axe you fo no money."
Beer Baron
AG
Not gonna lie, with those opening couple of lines I was really hoping for a good old fashioned disease/sick kid/lost-all-belongings-in-a-freak-zeppelin-accident sob story. Was pretty disappointed that the goal was just to rip off a music festival where people pay too much money to get high in a park while some guy no one's ever heard of plays jazz violin on stage.
Grits
AG
Tell him to stay there.
-OCHWFLAKASSBRTTEFE-
Tomdoss92
AG
ptothemo said:

Seems like he could have just called Ja Rule if he wanted to put on a music festival. Much easier than all that running.
chimpanzee
Beer Baron said:

Not gonna lie, with those opening couple of lines I was really hoping for a good old fashioned disease/sick kid/lost-all-belongings-in-a-freak-zeppelin-accident sob story. Was pretty disappointed that the goal was just to rip off a music festival where people pay too much money to get high in a park while some guy no one's ever heard of plays jazz violin on stage.

Some people dream that their kid's cancer is cured, others dream of assembling a field full of stoned college students.

Chase that dream
All the way to Vegas
On foot
In the summer
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Update from this morning's run:

BeardedBear
AG
Beer Baron said:

If it makes any difference to you Rob works with the Boys and Girls Club of the Brazos Valley and the festival will help support their efforts.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
BeardedBear said:

Beer Baron said:

If it makes any difference to you Rob works with the Boys and Girls Club of the Brazos Valley and the festival will help support their efforts.
Going to be a lot of disappointed boys and girls.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Win At Life
AG
I was out that way recently and snapped this picture of him.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.