NY (State) Transplant

4,015 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fireman
AggieDad24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I moved down here for a job offer that I really couldn't refuse. Wasn't too sure about such a big move as I'm a single father with 2 young kids. The only thing I knew about College Station was that Texas A&M was here. I brought the idea up to my kids and they jumped at the thought. I think mainly because we were all sick of six months of winter.
Got here at the beginning of October last year and immediately bought tickets to the Kentucky game. Other than it being 100 in the shade, I had a great time meeting all of the tailgate aficionados around us. That being said my weber smoky mountain made me feel pretty small compared to some of the rigs around me. Everyone was so friendly and kept inviting us to their tailgate. Growing up a Jets fan, that never really happened at Jets games. I think everyone is just so miserable that they're jets fans that they pretty much keep to themselves unless by some odd chance the Jets win.
Cut to about two weeks ago I was in Los Angeles visiting my brother. One day I wore an Aggies shirt and I've never had so many people come up to me saying things like "gig em" or "whoop". Growing up near Syracuse, if you wore an Orange shirt the best you would get is a " you see the game last night?". Of course I saw the game, it's the middle of December and I live in upstate New York. What the hell else would I be doing? Ags really seem to go out of their way to connect with other Ags or even Ags by ZIP Code. When they found out I wasn't an alum, They were just so psyched that I was living in College Station and that I was wearing an Aggie shirt.
I was at Daikokuya that day. It's a famous Ramen noodle place in downtown Los Angeles. An older gentleman walked up to me and gave me a pat on the back and a very heartfelt and loud "Gig Em". We chatted for awhile about football and Buzz Williams and all things College Station. He shook my hand and said "maybe I'll see you at Kyle some day" then he paid his bill and left. We finished our meal not too long after that and I asked for the bill. The waiter brought it over and I noticed it had a zero balance on it. At the very bottom in pencil was scrolled "Saw em off. You may not have graduated from A&M but you're an Aggie now". He even left a tip for me which we added to obviously.
What's my point? I'm not really sure myself. Just really grateful for my new home and the people around here that have made it so great. #GigEm
PigInABlanket
AG
So. Many. Words.
AggieDad24
Well there are a lot in the English language and I know a few so I decided to show off a bit. You'll get there someday
Ragoo
AG
Thanks for sharing
wbt5845
AG
Where did you move from? My son moved up to outside of Syracuse, NY, last year and likes it up there.
AggieDad24
Ithaca NY. I loved it there but it was expensive and like I said the winters were brutal.
wbt5845
AG
MaroonBaboon said:

Ithaca NY. I loved it there but it was expensive and like I said the winters were brutal.

We were up there for Thanksgiving. It was -2 for the turkey trot that morning. It sucked.
AggieDad24
-2?! Surprised the locals weren't wearing shorts and flip-flops
ABATTBQ11
AG
You have chosen... Wisely.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Welcome. There is no escape.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
PigInABlanket said:

So. Many. Words.
read them. They're worth your time.
Geralt of Rivia
S
We are very "welcoming," sarcastic, and in need of some new posters. Please don't take any dickish responses personally, as it's just part of the initiation

Hope you stick around
Charpie
AG
Welcome!!
Shoefly!
AG
Going up to see my cousins from Elizabethtown soon. My father was born in Poughkeepsie.
AgsMyDude
AG
Enter key broke?
scd88
AG
PigInABlanket said:

So. Many. Words.

It was good post. Don't be a dick.
scd88
AG
Like many who post here, I also live in CS. PM me; be glad to help out if you need anything.

Welcome to town.
kyledr04
AG
Welcome. I went to Ithaca last summer and loved it but I doubt I'd like the winter.

I wear Aggie shirts most of time and have had random people say "gig em" lots of places. An Aggie pilot in the Newark airport was really excited.
AggieDad24
Thanks everybody. Don't worry about people being dicks. Like I said I'm from New York. The Internet tough guys in here are adorable.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
MaroonBaboon said:

winter
what's that?
expresswrittenconsent
Upstate NY is basically Oklahoma when it comes to the overwhelming number of cracker barrel loving meatheads. Much prettier land though.
Not a Bot
AG
Welcome. Thanks for sharing.

FYI, if you haven't figured it out the general board is full of sarcasm, but people mean well for the most part.

(That's how my therapist tells me to interpret it.)
cisgenderedAggie
blindey said:

MaroonBaboon said:

winter
what's that?

It came, but no one noticed.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
cisgenderedAggie said:

blindey said:

MaroonBaboon said:

winter
what's that?

so it had a vasectomy or something?
Old RV Ag
AG
MaroonBaboon said:

Well there are a lot in the English language and I know a few so I decided to show off a bit. You'll get there someday
You born in England or elsewhere in Europe?
AggieDad24
If I even mention it being "chilly" here to my friends up north, I get a 10 minute rash of sh*t
Geralt of Rivia
S
If that gives you a rash, you should never go to Lubbock
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Yeah we don't have winter. But we do have 6 months of "your balls immediately stick to the inside of your groin when you walk outside" muggy weather.

Real cold/winter is for chumps.
expresswrittenconsent
blindey said:

cisgenderedAggie said:

blindey said:

MaroonBaboon said:

winter
what's that?

What do you think happens after a vasectomy?
AggieDad24
I told someone today I was interested in going to Galveston and they audibly gasped and demanded I not go.
AggieDad24
I flew in to Houston when I interviewed here. It was July and around 9:30 at night. When I exited the airport my knees buckled and I thought I was going to spontaneously combust.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

blindey said:

cisgenderedAggie said:

blindey said:

MaroonBaboon said:

winter
what's that?

What do you think happens after a vasectomy?
your wife still doesn't have sex with you?
Geralt of Rivia
S
MaroonBaboon said:

I told someone today I was interested in going to Galveston and they audibly gasped and demanded I not go.

If you want a beautiful beach, don't go to Galveston. It's not a bad time, though
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I think it snowed here like 7 or 8 years ago. also, 2 years ago we had a couple nights where it got below freezing.

Stay the hell off the roads when that happens. It's not you, it's everyone else.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
And go to Galveston. It's a pretty cool town. If you have boys and they're young, take them to the Galveston railroad museum on a Saturday for the train ride.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.