Need help selecting a good WiFi router

2,010 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Drawkcab
Drawkcab
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/3037263

Thanks!
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
coolerguy12
AG
I got an ASUS something or other for around $300. It works great in our 4000 sqft house upstairs and downstairs. We stream everything on fire sticks and it keeps up very well.
REMtx
I have had good success with a TP Link branded one. I have the Archer A7 which is the variant geared toward Amazon(they have a similar C7, they sell everywhere else). This is a middle of the road tier router, they have more advanced ones and simpler ones as well. Price-wise they are great. I haven't had any issues with it which I did with my previous Linksys one that I had for many years (had to reboot every so often).
Canyon99
Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi System
YellAgs
AG
Daddy like
infinity ag
Canyon99 said:

Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi System

This is what I have!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
coolerguy12 said:

I got an ASUS something or other for around $300. It works great in our 4000 sqft house upstairs and downstairs. We stream everything on fire sticks and it keeps up very well.
We have one of these. Sort of looks like a spaceship. Works great.
Ag81Golf
Forget the router you nerds. I'm thinking motorboat!
CrackerJackAg
AG
Two suggestions depending on budget and needs.

ASUS makes a great all around router. Lots of features and good range on most of the higher models.

I like LUXUL. Bit higher end but I like the Epic three along with two access points for a good size home. It has a built in controller for two APs. You'll spend about a grand.

Just the router is $350 or $400 or so. Has built in and easy to use VPN if that's important. Lots of nice features.

Lesser but still good version along those same lines are UBNT with a cloud controller and however many APs you require. Roughly $500 or so for the router, cloud key and a couple APs. Bit nerdy and harder to set up.

Last suggestion is to stay away from anything like Orbi or any kind of "just set them around the house" type systems. I've thrown away 50 of those. Wouldn't give them away.

I do residential/commercial networking for a living. PM me if you want advice. Not selling to you...info is always free.
Drawkcab
Thanks everyone! I went with the Google WiFi. That and the Orbi seem to be the top 2 recommend mesh devices. I like that Orbi comes with Disney Circle. If I didn't have to pay a monthly fee to access all of Circle's features that would have easily been my top choice.

I'm happy with the Google WiFi. Hopefully I don't have the issues with it you seemed to, CrackerJackAg. I haven't read anything about people having as much trouble with them as you seem to have. I'll let ya know if I end up regretting it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.