Help me tackle Alzheimer's

12,747 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BlueAg2003
BlueAg2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags!

I have decided to make a difference this summer. I am committing myself to tackling Alzheimer's disease. This horrible disease hits close to home as my dad was diagnosed shortly after my mom passed away in 2014.

I was fortunate enough to get involved with BvB Dallas, a young professionals organization dedicated to raising money and awareness around the disease and research. Each year the organization hosts several fundraising events with the culmination being a powder-puff football game played at the Cotton Bowl. (Aggie football related because who doesn't love remembering us stuffing Bo Jackson at that very venue) BvB stands for Blondes vs. Brunettes. This year, I'll be playing for the Bru Crew and hoping to grab a victory. (Aggie football related because this Class of 2003 Ag will be playing the game)

BvB Dallas is a way to honor and remember loved ones who suffered or are suffering from Alzheimer's and related diseases. The organization has experienced a blitz of success by raising over $4.2 million in its 12 year existence and has recruited over 1,000 volunteers.

This year, the money raised will be going to the following beneficiaries: The Senior Source, Center for Brain Health, UNT Health Science Center, and UT Southwestern Medical Center. We hope to contribute to research advancements as well as aid in the care of those currently afflicted.

I would love to see my Aggie family contribute to this amazing cause. In order to make this fun, I will write the highest donor's username (post it with your donation on the page below) on my bicep for the game. My dad will be on one as I'm playing for him, but I'll bring a little TexAgs love to the game. Rule 1 will be followed on game day. A $25 dollar donation gets you a ticket to the game, as well as the after party which will have plenty of beer and lovely ladies (I have to get you there somehow, right). Even a $5 donation helps get us to our goal.

Please consider donating here:

[url]https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/team-brunette-2019/blueag2003[/url]

Check out footage from last year's game here:

And because I'm no dummy and know what drives this board, who wins?

Blondes?

Or brunettes?

Claude!
Good cause.

They say that gentlemen prefer blondes. Fortunately, I don't think there are a lot of gentlemen on TexAgs.
BlueAg2003
AG
Hey, I'll take donations from the men of ill repute as well. Thank you to those who have donated thus far. If you put a name to remember, I will get them somewhere on my arm for the game. It may be small, but I want to honor all of them. This game is for them.
hillcountryag86
AG
Thank you, BlueAg, for choosing this worthy cause.

I suppose there are a thousand worthy causes out there. They are important to those who are personally affected whether it's cancer, heart disease, PTSD, abuse, addiction, ...

And Alzheimer's is certainly personal to me. My Dad got dementia at 59. 59-years-old! i'm 56 and it's chilling to think he was near my age. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's not long after that.

Unfortunately, he lived to 72. That was a long time to watch that daily horror. It was brutal.

Thanks again, BlueAg. And I wish you the best with your Dad.
BlueAg2003
AG
Thank you for that. I completely agree. There are many causes that need so much, but this one is definitely at the forefront for me. My dad will be 72 in June and we are in an uphill battle every single day. We have battles about bathing, remembering to eat, and just the tiny tasks that make up each day. He forgot my spouse's name the other day. That was a first and a heart-breaker.

This organization is a great way for me to feel like I'm doing something. I'm glad I got connected with them. Most days I feel like I'm spinning my wheels, but for once, I feel like I have some power in this fight. They've introduced me to some great resources and are committed to funding cutting edge research. If I can play a little football game and have fun during all of this, then I'm all for it. I'm hoping he'll be there in the stands cheering me on. He was the man who taught me the game.
rednecked
AG
donated in memory of my Grandmother, Vera.

A worthy cause!!
tehmackdaddy
AG
My mother has Alzheimer's. Thanks for making a difference.
BlueAg2003
AG
Thank you rednecked! Vera will be on my arm for the game. I'm playing for her.
BlueAg2003
AG
You're quite welcome. You and your mom are in my thoughts.
BlueAg2003
AG
Tuesday's Blonde vs. Brunette head-to-head:

Lauren Tannehill

or

Bre Tiesi
Mr_mo8268
AG
I also wish you the best BlueAg. My dad was diagnosed with early on-set at 52 and passed at 62. Just a brutal disease especially early on. Thanks for your contribution to the cause.
hillcountryag86
AG
52. Wow.
BlueAg2003
AG
I'm sorry to hear that about your dad. It sounds like too many of us have had to encounter this terrible disease.
BlueAg2003
AG
Man, I was definitely expecting to generate more hotties support. Where are all my GB dudes?
hbc07
AG
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
cisgenderedAggie
BlueAg2003 said:

Man, I was definitely expecting to generate more hotties support. Where are all my GB dudes?

Hotties can't have Alzheimer's.
BlueAg2003
AG
Today's battle:

Scarlett Johansson

or

Cobie Smulders

AliasMan02
AG
I feel like, with the clear exception of the OP, you're attacking the field in favor of blondes.
BlueAg2003
AG
The funny thing is that I heavily favor brunettes. Unpopular opinion here, but I find Cobie more attractive than ScarJo. I just do.
hillcountryag86
AG
You've raised 25 percent of the goal in just a couple of days!
PoohAh97
AG
Agreed, and I was going to attribute it to age, but I did some basic research and Cobie is in fact older. SJo is just aging hard, I guess.
BlueAg2003
AG
I know! I am truly shocked at the generosity of Aggies. Thank you so much to those who have given. My heart is overflowing with emotion.

I'm hoping to get a few more people on board at any amount they can give. Even $10 can make a huge impact. I'll post hotties every day until the game if I have to!
aglaohfour
AG
Happy to donate to such a good cause! My grandfather lingered for 8 years after his diagnosis and it still breaks my heart to think about what he, my mom, and her brothers went through.
BlueAg2003
AG
Thank you so much!!! I'll be playing for him!
Cancelled
AG
My dad is struggling with Non Alzheimer's dementia. He's got Lewy Bodies Dementia and Parkinsonism (not Parkinson's)

It's a good cause you're working with, but I think we are probably 50 years away from successful treatment. The brain is so complex.
BlueAg2003
AG
I agree. I'm sure we're further away than we want to be. Part of what I love about our beneficiaries this year is that two of them help folks who are currently suffering and those who take care of them. One of them, The Senior Source has an awesome program that provides relief to family members who are taking full-time care of their loved one. I find this very comforting as taking care of my dad has been taxing for everyone involved. This is what we're doing with the money:

1) Center for Brain Health: The Discovery Group program, a strength-based program aiming to optimize the abilities of individuals with early stage Alzheimer's disease. BvB's funding will help expand the program to create and pilot targeted education for caregivers, community workshops, and professional seminars that can be replicated throughout the community for a broader impact.

2) The Senior Source: This funding will support programs within the agency that directly serve older adults with dementia. This includes the Senior Companion Program, which places specially trained volunteers in the homes of older adults to provide personal assistance as well as respite care for the family caregiver. We will also provide funding for the Caregiver Support Program, which provides expertise, counseling, and resources for family caregivers.

3) UNT Health Science Center: Funding a study investigating hyperbaric oxygen therapy as a potential treatment for Alzheimer's disease.

4) UT Southwestern Medical Center: In addition to the Clinical Neuropsychology Alzheimer's Fellowship at UT Southwestern, BvB will also be funding a groundbreaking research study to determine if focused ultrasound can be used to deliver therapeutic agents into the brain to treat Alzheimer's disease.
WanderlustAg
AG
I'm sorry about your family. Awesome that you're doing this!
PoohAh97
AG
K done. You seem like a nice lady.
BlueAg2003
AG
Thanks Pooh! I really appreciate it. I'm just trying to make a little difference. Many, many thanks for your help. I can't ever say it enough to y'all!
BlueAg2003
AG
Instagram hotties edition:

Danielle Knudson

or

Barbara Palvin

Unemployed
AG
Barbara Palvin, no doubt.
BlueAg2003
AG
Agreed 100%. She's striking.
TxFig
AG
I forget. More pics of redheads so I can remember please...
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
AliasMan02
AG
Blonde too skinny. Brunette wins the heat.
BlueAg2003
AG
I will add a bonus redhead tomorrow
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.