Are there therapists who deal with career advice?

2,889 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dad
lancevance
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Career advice as in how to get ahead, get promoted, excel at work?

I suppose the answer is already staring me in my face. Show up at 5 AM everyday, work will 7 PM and get everything done.

Although the real problem is I have never been promoted, or given more responsibility. It's been the same old since 2003, just different jobs, different technology.

redd38
AG
Maybe you're just not very good
aggie_fan13
AG
Have you asked for a promotion ?
lancevance
azulAg said:

Have you asked for a promotion ?
I applied twice to internal jobs that would be a promotion. Two "Thank you for applying, but we found a better candidate" messages.

lancevance
redd38 said:

Maybe you're just not very good
Guilty. Don't doubt it. Time to find out why and how to improve.
aggie_fan13
AG
I feel you on that one, applied to heb well over 6 times can't get a call back
lancevance
azulAg said:

wear a collared shirt, with khakis, firm handshake and confident smile. They will hire you.
Post removed:
by user
aggie_fan13
AG
you have to apply online now
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
There are career counselors although I'd speculate only 2% of counselors outside of schools do that.

Career counseling may help and talking to some headhunters might bode well. If you think it's mood or self-esteem related psychotherapy may help but even if it's not good psychological counseling can often help one achieve goals.

I've read a ton of books that had to do with achieving goals and motivation and none of that material had anything to do with pathology. My undergraduate degree is in a STEM field and my interest in psychotherapy grew out of my interest in maximizing success or self-actualization.

One principle is to be passionate about what you do then "work" will not quite seem so much like work. Of course there will be times when you absolutely don't feel like doing it but you do it because you enjoy the lights on.
jh0400
AG
lancevance said:

I suppose the answer is already staring me in my face. Show up at 5 AM everyday, work will 7 PM and get everything done.

This seems like the problem. If you're promoted who can they count on to work 14 hour days to get all of the work done? Either you're inefficient or a sucker.
Tatem
Career counseling as mentioned or maybe a life coach.
If you feel stuck in a rut in general I would suggest counseling

Good luck
The Fife
lancevance said:

Career advice as in how to get ahead, get promoted, excel at work?

Although the real problem is I have never been promoted, or given more responsibility. It's been the same old since 2003, just different jobs, different technology.

Have you considered sleeping your way to a promotion?The difficulty depends on what the senior managers over there look like and what you're into.
PoohAh97
AG
How old are you? Is this part of mid-life crisis? Which is a thing.
Direct Enter Enter
jh0400 said:

lancevance said:

This seems like the problem. If you're promoted who can they count on to work 14 hour days to get all of the work done? Either you're inefficient or a sucker.
I saw this all the time in I.T. People making themselves so valuable in order to not get RIF'd also make themselves so valuable they don't get promoted.

To make matters worse, the dirtbags end up getting promoted because it is easier to promote somebody out of the department and make them someone else's problem than it is to fire them.
Jack Cheese
AG
Working long hours is not necessarily a leadership trait. What other leadership qualities do you believe you have?

When we evaluate who is promotable, we're looking a lot more at decision-making ability, how sure-handed someone is, whether they are a good teacher, positive attitude, ability to cut through BS and get to the relevant facts, and how well the person relates to others.

Yes, they have to be competent at their job and get their stuff done, but that's just the beginning. Technical expertise and long hours will pretty much keep the person on the track they are on.

What are you doing to develop and display these other leadership qualities? Also, do you work for a good company, and good managers within that company? Are they trustworthy? Do they choose good leaders? If not, may be time to move on.
Ragoo
AG
Hi! I'm Ragoo, 23, and ready to be your life coach. I kill it everyday and you can too. Follow me on IG @Ragookills and see how awesome my life is.
Shakes the Clown
In this World, you're either a mime or a clown. You gotta take a hard look in that make up mirror and ask yourself - who am I ? - and what am in doing running to the GB for advice?

Pull that bottle of vodka out of your secret hiding place, start nipping on it, and see where the World takes you!
coupland boy
AG
bac
AG
Have you considered an analyst/therapist, or analrapist?
HBCanine08
AG
azulAg said:

+1. I've applied to Toyota multiple times and nothing.
Cromagnum
AG
In addition to doing your job well enough, you need to take on parts of job roles you aspire to move into. If you can already do someones job that is higher up, when they move on (and they always do), your name is right there.
The Lost
i personally wouldn't want to learn excel from a therapist, doubt they use many sum ifs....
Duncan Idaho
Tailhookin Devilpup said:

jh0400 said:

lancevance said:

I saw this all the time in I.T. People making themselves so valuable in order to not get RIF'd also make themselves so valuable they don't get promoted.

To make matters worse, the dirtbags end up getting promoted because it is easier to promote somebody out of the department and make them someone else's problem than it is to fire them.

I learned this lesson working at the Chicken and now offer as advice for others as "never get too good in the kitchen"

When I worked at the chicken, everyone started in the kitchen as backup for the lunch rush.

It is important to note that kitchen staff didn't make anything if note for tips. So while the bar and swampers might make $100/night, kitchen staff would make $4.25/hour (or $30-40/night)

The the first step to working for tips was getting moved out of the kitchen before you either got fired for sucking or don being in a bad mood or quit because you weren't getting enough hours.

So you had to be just good enough to not get fired and to be allowed to work in the kitchen, but not so good that you were seen as someone they could trust to work the kitchen by yourself.

Basically, good enough to so that Freddy and Janet wouldn't be pissed if you were on a lunch shift, but not so good that they wouldnt be pissed if you closed the kitchen the night before.
BenFiasco14
AG
Ragoo said:

Hi! I'm Ragoo, 23, and ready to be your life coach. I kill it everyday and you can too. Follow me on IG @Ragookills and see how awesome my life is.
I exited college in debt and was forced to take a job just making 32k a year.

Now, I'm 26, debt-free, and have more than quadrupled my salary in just a few years.

How?

Well, I started my own business. I lead, develop, and sustain others through my entrepreneurial ideas.

You, too - CAN.

How?

Be unconventional. Learn to live and breathe technology and progress.

EVERY DAY my peers ask me how I did it - and the answer is just so simple - BELIEVE.

LinkedIn has been such a great goal to that end. Hard work pays off!

#synergy #smallbusiness #entrepreneur #selfmade
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
swc93
AG
You need to get into plastics.
LupinusTexensis
Being promoted has nothing to do with hard work. Get on a few key highly visible projects, kill those, always schmooze when given the opportunity and be smart about getting introduced to the right people. It's mainly personality and connections that get you promoted.
Ragoo
AG
The best way to get promoted is to coach a younger/newer member of the team to do you job.

The problem with 'promotions' is that there has to be someone in the pipeline that can backfill your previous role.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
This thread makes not owning your job sound completely horrible.
Render
AG
Soft skills get you promoted. I recommend looking at Seth Godin's altMBA. Not necessarily to apply for it, but rather to get an idea of the soft skills you may need to work on.
https://altmba.com/nypltalk
Jack Cheese
AG
blindey said:

This thread makes not owning your job sound completely horrible.

Yes. We should all experience the freedom of the MLM lifestyle. Wanna buy some advocare?
PoohAh97
AG
I think this is right, and I want to add (from my position of mostly-career-failure) that, from what I can tell, taking on the scut work and being the go-to guy for unpleasant tasks isn't really a positive trait in the long run. It just means you're the guy doing the scut work.

By all means, learn to talk yourself up and be the guy that tells people the things you accomplish. It's distasteful but the people that make the decisions love it. If you think there's somebody out there that's keeping track of how well you're doing so when something better comes along they can slot you in there, there's not.
PigInABlanket
AG
What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
Ragoo
AG
PigInABlanket said:

What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
no, today is the greatest, day of your life. Can't live for tomorrow.
aTm2004
AG
You need to find out who the hiring manager is for the position you want, nail his wife to show your dominance over him, and then tell him to add 15% to his offer to you before you take over his office.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.