Millennials Face1 trillion in debt majority school loans

10,536 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aTm2004
PA24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
College is not for everyone

Universities coupled with long term loan companies are not your friend.

Research your earning potential with the degree they are selling you, maybe take a break from school for a few yrs. as an education is a journey.

Get sound advise from people working in your field of interest.

Good luck, the 30s are a blast if you are not underwater in debt.

Joe Exotic
AG
Don't major in anything that ends in "studies".
Tatem
stop using the money for clothes and food/drinks
quanah
Federal student loans are responsible for this. Once they decided to give anyone money for college who got into college, universities became incentivized to jack up prices and accept as many students as possible. Just look at A&M as a prime example of how federal student loans have transformed universities. In one generation it went from a small, affordable university, where students could easily afford tuition with a part time or summer job, to an enormous university that now costs thousands of dollars per semester.
NoahAg
What, you expect ME to pay for my degree in "Mid-century Eastern European Transgendered Studies" myself?!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thanks for the pep talk, dad.
Bird Poo
AG
My junior in high school has a respectable SAT score. He gets about 2-3 flyers in the mail every day from colleges all over the country.

College is big business nowadays.
ForeverAg
AG
OneNightW said:

My junior in high school has a respectable SAT score. He gets about 2-3 flyers in the mail every day from colleges all over the country.

Look at me, my kid doesn't have to wear a helmet

Shamelessbrag
King moto moto
agnerd
AG
Political repercussions worry me. This group is aging and their elders are becoming a very small portion of the voting block. With the increased political influence, these voters could get together and decide we need to start taxing retirement accounts to pay for loan forgiveness. Unfortunately, I'm not old enough to be dead before that happens. Hoping I don't get punished in the future for making responsible choices.
mazag08
AG
agnerd said:

Political repercussions worry me. This group is aging and their elders are becoming a very small portion of the voting block. With the increased political influence, these voters could get together and decide we need to start taxing retirement accounts to pay for loan forgiveness. Unfortunately, I'm not old enough to be dead before that happens. Hoping I don't get punished in the future for making responsible choices.
There's enough of us who aren't idiots to balance them out.

Plus. the idiots have to be convinced to vote every 4 years and likely never vote if a president isn't on the ballot.
Not a Bot
AG
The whole education system needs to be reformed. Too many career academics and profiteers pushing public education costs up for their own gain. Universities have a vested interest in cramming more students into meaningless majors and demanding they pay more for the privilege -- they know they will be paid regardless.

I know several parents at my workplace who are about to send their kids to college, and some of their kids want to major in sociology, history, or some other non-profitable degree. I'm doing what I can to save them before they jump into the debt black hole but it isn't sinking in yet.

My personal beef:
It didn't help when the NCAA decided to pay cost of living stipends to players based on each school's self-reported cost of attendance. Guess what happened? Suddenly it became much more "expensive" on paper to attend school in Starkville, Tuscaloosa, and College Station so athletes could be recruited with a bigger check each semester.

That cost of attendance figure is used by the Department of Education to set limits on loan borrowing by students. If you're sending kids to college for the first time, you aren't necessarily sure how much everything outside of tuition/fees will truly cost, and you're presented this cost number by the University that is artificially high. You're going to borrow more than necessary.
Not a Bot
AG
The other thing we need to be encouraging more at our local level is the development of partnerships with community and junior colleges. High school students who are smart enough to go to college should be able to take dual credit courses and graduate with 1-2 semesters of "basics" already out of the way.

A lot of good districts are going this route.
nomad2007
AG
Quote:

Millennials

Quote:

19-29 year olds

"Millennial" has lost it's actual meaning and is now just used to refer to the youngest generation of something.
quanah
nomad2007 said:

Quote:

Millennials

Quote:

19-29 year olds

"Millennial" has lost it's actual meaning and is now just used to refer to the youngest generation of something.

Not to mention the policies that led to this mess were enacted by older generations, but somehow all the blame gets shifted to those bearing the burden of these terrible policies.
permabull
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It seems like people over the age of 40 or so just lump everyone younger than them into "millennial".
Broba Fett
quanah said:

nomad2007 said:

Quote:

Millennials

Quote:

19-29 year olds

Not to mention the policies that led to this mess were enacted by older generations, but somehow all the blame gets shifted to those bearing the burden of these terrible policies.

Well, the millennials didn't need to agree to sign a loan for 4-6 years to major in bull**** studies either. If it costs the same to get a useful degree as a worthless one, that's not anyone's decision but their own.
PoohAh97
AG
On the other side of all this, with the value of a degree (back in '97 it was "any degree!") falling, kids are gonna start making the pretty rational decision to jump into a real world job instead of deal with a giant government institution that appears to be a country club centered around Diversity and Football.

I'm just glad my alma mater hasn't blown millions on gold-plated rec centers, sports facilities, and bureaucrats, because those will still need maintenance when attendance drops.

OH WAIT.
Ragoo
AG
Broba Fett said:

quanah said:

nomad2007 said:

Quote:

Millennials

Quote:

19-29 year olds

Well, the millennials didn't need to agree to sign a loan for 4-6 years to major in bull**** studies either. If it costs the same to get a useful degree as a worthless one, that's not anyone's decision but their own.
all degrees are worthless.

Degrees are not employed, people are employed.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
And yet people like AOC want college to be "free" for everyone.
HeadGames
AG
Kids also need to work in college. No reason to sit there and collect debt without reducing some burden during school.

I'm a millennial, I have three degrees, I have no debt. Seems like people are parting and buying things they don't need. Also agree with this semi-predatory lending and College being big business with career academics who hand out useless degrees.
Big Tuna
OneNightW said:

This is not new. I'll bet I received 100+ flyers from colleges and universities my junior and senior years.
Beerosch
AG
agnerd said:

You mean the elders that have ran up the country's debt to insane amounts?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What are your three degrees?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It seems like people over the age of 40 or so just lump everyone younger than them into "millennial".

Damn straight.

And when we were in college, we'd wear an onion on our belt....which was the style at the time.
The Dog Lord
AG
You also need to look at things like tuition deregulation. Compare the cost of tuition at public Texas universities before and after deregulation (and decreased per-student state funding) in 2003. The state needed to cut funding, so they allowed universities to be the bad guys and raise tuition to pass more costs on to students.

Universities and students can absolutely do better to help with the rising debt levels, but they're not solely to blame. I'd also like to see Texas legalize gambling and weed. The savings in the prison system and additional tax revenue from both could help fund state projects and organizations.
John Francis Donaghy
agnerd said:

I'm much more worried about aging boomers who havent saved enough to maintain their lifestyle voting me out of my paycheck to fund their retirement because they "paid into the system for 40 years and deserve it."

Entitlement is not limited to young people in this country.
Cromagnum
AG
Ragoo said:

Broba Fett said:

quanah said:

nomad2007 said:

Quote:

Millennials

Quote:

19-29 year olds

I went to school to earn two degrees in chemistry. Why? Because that's where the teachers and tools were that I needed to get better at my trade. You don't just learn this **** in your basement or garage and then go get a sweet job.
aggieaviator
AG
Taxpayers subsidize the public university tuitions. The politicians allow universities to jack up tuition costs knowing the market is flooded with approved borrowers while banks and universities make billions and have taxpayers to bail them out when the debt bubble bursts.
PA24
AG
I have made a small fortune and now comfortable n my retirement.

I would recommend the engineering/MBA that I took to anyone serious about getting degrees that actually get u headed n the right direction.

Stay away from the easy paths and push yourself to your limits, u will not regret it.

Of course all things are possible with GOD's help so pray on all your decisions.

I hope whoever needed this message got it and from this day on has a wonderful and blessed life.

Tree Hugger
AG
Quote:

My daughter is a sophomore and hasn't even taken the SAT. She gets letters inviting her to visit this or that campus several days a week. She says Case Western University emails her almost daily. I had to look this school up, who the hell wants to go to school in Cleveland?
Ragoo
AG
Cromagnum said:

Ragoo said:

Broba Fett said:

quanah said:

nomad2007 said:

Quote:

Millennials

Quote:

19-29 year olds

I went to school to earn two degrees in chemistry. Why? Because that's where the teachers and tools were that I needed to get better at my trade. You don't just learn this **** in your basement or garage and then go get a sweet job.
your degree is training. Training you were able to apply to a profession. But wasn't necessary to make a living as a adult.
Green2Maroon
AG
I joined the Army when I was eighteen partly for the GI Bill benefits offered. After four years to include an Iraq deployment, I left active duty and started college in '07. Basically no student loans except for a $3k one that I used to buy a motorcycle. My major was agribusiness and I regret it more than 8 years later. I put my life on the line in part for a degree that turned out to be crap.
lotsofhp
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

And yet people like AOC want college to be "free" for everyone.

A small part of me wonders if the government were to take over the college system and dictate how much universities were able to profit if they would suddenly become much less liberal.

I know that wouldn't happen but it would be hilarious if the liberal kids they've been forming all these years were to turn around and kill their cash cow.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.