14-Year-Old Is Charged With Murder After Egg Prank and Fatal Crash

9,227 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dark Helmet
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

A 14-year-old Texas boy who was said to have been throwing eggs at cars was charged with murder after he crashed into a pickup truck and killed a woman while being chased by another driver, the authorities said on Wednesday.

Around 2:20 p.m. Tuesday, the boy was driving a tan GMC Acadia westbound with two juvenile passengers "at a high rate of speed," the Harris County Sheriff's Office said in a statement. They were being chased by a man driving a tan Lincoln after the teenagers were reportedly seen throwing eggs at other cars, Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said. The driver of the Lincoln displayed a semiautomatic handgun while giving chase, the statement said.

When the teenagers in the Acadia reached the intersection of Aldine Mail Route and Aldine Westfield Road in Houston, the 14-year-old driver, whose name was not released, ran the red light and struck a Ford F-150 as the Ford was traveling southbound through the intersection, the authorities said. In video of the crash obtained by The Houston Chronicle, two vehicles come spinning into the frame; one becomes momentarily airborne before both come to rest in a crumpled, smoky heap.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/02/us/car-crash-egg-throwing-teenagers.html

Fonzie Scheme
AG
Burn his ass until there are only a pile of ashes.

Or, make him consider the result of his actions until he is regretful.

We have to choose extremes, don't we?
swc93
AG
I wouldn't stop at the light if being chased my a man with a gun.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
I guess the kid ended up with egg on his face
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
shhopkins
AG
C@LAg said:

good.

he made three bad decisions, and ended up killing someone.

1. To drive a car while underage .
2. To throw eggs at others, while driving a car.
3. Not knowing how to drive well enough to avoid wrecking.

Nothing good about this situation.
3rd Platoon
AG
DrHeadShrink said:

I guess the kid ended up with egg on his face

Underrated.
NRH ag 10
AG
Good job, person who gave chase while flashing a gun! I totally remember "egging" as a defense to prosecution for using deadly force from my CHL class back in the day.
JJxvi
AG
murder? I'm not sure the ****up kid is even the one primarily responsible
Roger Goodell
One less dip**** in this world.
Slicer97
AG
Roger Goodell said:

One less dip**** in this world.
One less innocent woman in this world thanks to that dip*****
boboguitar
AG
Why are murder charges not being applied to the dude chasing kids with a gun?
Big Tuna
I'd like an explanation how a grown ass man with a gun chasing a kid who threw an egg at you is less culpable than the kid.
Chickenhawk
Victim blaming.
vin1041
AG
Agree.
nai06
AG
Murder seems a little ridiculous if not grandstanding by the sheriff's office.

I mean I can't imagine they can prove he intended to kill someone and I'm not sure what other felony he would be guilty of when this occurred. Also he is 14. A stupid kid for sure but still a kid. Add in that a man was chasing him with a gun and I don't see how this doesn't get reduced.

Ragoo
AG
IIRC, the kid stole the car, thus committing a felony, then as a result of other actions ended up killing someone in a crash using that stole vehicle. thus murder charge.
Ragoo
AG
Big Tuna said:

I'd like an explanation how a grown ass man with a gun chasing a kid who threw an egg at you is less culpable than the kid.
while the guy chasing the kids is wrong and bad and help make a bad situation worse, the "gun" referenced is irrelevant.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Remains to be seen if there was a gun. I know if I was egging people, got chased, and killed someone as a result, whoever was chasing me magically "having a gun" would sure be convenient to my story.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
combat wombat™
AG
Well, is the 14 year old boy thought he was going to get shot if they got caught up with him then it's not irrelevant. Name the 14 year old kids ass to the wall. However, the guy with the gun also bears some responsibility.
Martin Q. Blank
I can see myself doing this as a 14 year old. Gun or no gun, I would try to escape the guy. Probably not run a red light though. I wouldn't charge him with murder.
Swarely
Looks like it should be pretty clear if he had one or not.

Quote:

In the meantime, the driver of the Lincoln was located by investigators and was cooperating with the authorities, the statement from the sheriff's office said.
duck79
AG
It doesn't make a difference but in the news video you can see the A&M emblem on the back of the Acadia.
Not a Bot
AG
https://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/14-year-old-driver-who-caused-fatal-New-Year-s-13502912.php

Quote:

Sean Teare, who leads the Harris County District Attorney's Office's Vehicular Crimes Division, said the driver who chased after the teen could face a felony charge of failure to stop and render aid to the woman who died in the wreck.

"I believe enough evidence exists to present that to a grand jury," Teare said.

The victim in the wreck, Zavala, was "the only person who was doing nothing wrong," the prosecutor said.

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez previously said that Zavala had been shopping prior to the crash.

The other minors in the car haven't been charged. The teen was charged with murder because he was allegedly committing a state jail felony of unauthorized use of a vehicle, causing the deadly crash, said Harris County Sheriff's Office spokesman Deputy Thomas Gilliland.
GoneGirl
AG
duck79 said:

It doesn't make a difference but in the news video you can see the A&M emblem on the back of the Acadia.
My husband pointed this out when we saw the news story the other night.
Ragoo
AG
combat wombat said:

Well, is the 14 year old boy thought he was going to get shot if they got caught up with him then it's not irrelevant. Name the 14 year old kids ass to the wall. However, the guy with the gun also bears some responsibility.
i think the point you are missing is that a 14 y/o stole a car and killed someone. The "gun" story is likely manufactured to make him look less like a murderer and more like a victim.
GoneGirl
AG
GeorgiaAg85 said:

Victim blaming.
Is anyone blaming the woman who was killed? She's the only victim I see here.
BBRex
AG
I just saw the news broadcast in which the mother pleads for leniency for her son. They don't show her face, but it shows the trailer park they call home and the mom only spoke Spanish in the interview. My guess is that the A&M emblem came with the car.

https://amp.click2houston.com/news/mother-of-14-year-old-boy-charged-with-murder-in-deadly-crash-speaks?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=amp_socialshare
duck79
AG
Everyone keeps saying he "stole" the car but I thought I read it was his fathers car? If it is, have they proven he took the car and that his father doesn't allow him to drive it sometimes? Sorry I may have missed that part of the story.

**Just saw the post above mine. Obviously I missed the part about him stealing the car
JJxvi
AG
Nobody steals a car to go throw eggs at other cars in traffic. He obviously "stole" it in the sense that hes 14 and cant legally drive.
BBRex
AG
His mom said they would hide the keys, but he would find them.
combat wombat™
AG
And that's why the police need to investigate. Nevertheless, the guy chasing the kids is also partly at fault, in my opinion. What was he going to do when he caught them? Why the hell was he chasing them? He was road raging. There's no call for that.
Ragoo
AG
combat wombat said:

And that's why the police need to investigate. Nevertheless, the guy chasing the kids is also partly at fault, in my opinion what was he going to do when he caught them? Why the hell was he chasing them? He was road raging. There's no call for that.
absolutely.

And again, brandishing a gun is irrelevant. Engaging in a high speed chase is what made the situation worse and led to someone being killed.
BBRex
AG
The guy shouldn't have given chase, but he probably didn't know he was chasing a 14-year-old driver.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.