Guitar Recommendation

7,259 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cromagnum
CrazyMRanch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know its probably been asked a million times, but I don't care. ;-)

I'm looking for a guitar rec. Steel vs nylon, body size? neck size? I'm 50-yrs old and it's way past time. I play piano, but that doesn't travel well. I just want to play "camp-fire" music sitting around the firepit at my ranch. Money isn't the issue, just want something very playable and a little easier to learn on.

All thoughts and input are very much appreciated.
Bruce Almighty
AG
You'll get serious answers on the entertainment board.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Future
I Like Mike
AG
I have an Ovation acoustic guitar. Celebrity I think is the model. I love Ovation's sound.
-----------------------

I Like Mike
I Like Mike
AG
This is mine.

Ovation Celebrity
-----------------------

Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I have a Fender CD100 acoustic. Not stupidly expensive (save that for your first electric guitar), sound great, easy to play.
EFE
AG
Takamine G series or a Seagull
CrazyMRanch
Thanks y'all. I'll look at the mentioned models...
Joe Exotic
AG
Probably a Jackson Rhoades or a King V to get the most out of learning as a new guitarist.
tk for tu juan
Scoopen Skwert
AG
"Money isn't the issue"

Username checks out.
Cromagnum
AG
For a starter guitar, check out Takamine. If you stick with it and learn what you like, get something nicer down the road. Always worth a look at pawn shops too. Buy a reputable branded one, and take it immediately to a guitar shop to get setup.
saw em off
neil99
AG
I agree with Cromagnum - start off with something like a Takamine or a Seagull, then if you find you are learning move up to a more expensive guitar. Some Yamaha guitars are pretty good values as well. You will get a lot of opinions about good and bad guitars (for instance I don't like Ovations although they are probably good guitars to learn on).

Generally, I would look in the $250 to $500 range for a starter guitar. If you are finding things higher than that, I would switch to something like a low-end Taylor because you would get a better instrument. Two things that make a big difference when you are first learning the guitar: 1.) the height of the action - This is the distance the strings are above the fretboard. There are some things that can be done to adjust this, but generally, if it is high it will stay that way. High action makes it harder to push down the strings, and makes staying in tune harder. 2.) The gauge of the strings - this is something that is easy to change. Buying a set of extra light gauge strings and having the guitar store put them on for you should cost less than $50 buck and could be as low as $10 (it all depends on what they charge for putting them on for you). Once you start to develop callouses you may want to switch to a heavier gauge string (you will get better sound with heavier strings).

I would also advise against buying a guitar with something other than a solid spruce wood top. I've seen guitars with High Pressure Laminate (HPL) tops from companies like Martin which would fall in the price range, but my opinion is they are not good sounding guitars and they won't improve with age. Also, there are tons of guitars with crazy woods laminated and dyed crazy colors - save these for teenagers - they are generally bad sounding guitars (again my opinion).

Oh, one last opinion - If you are buying in the $250- $500 range don't get a pickup in the guitar. The pickups on guitars at this price range are really cheaply made and don't sound good. If you find you love the sound of the guitar, go buy a pickup separately and have it installed by a professional. Generally, the price bump for a pickup on a guitar in this range isn't worth it.
CrazyMRanch
Great advice. Thanks guys.
goatchze
AG
I third the Takamine G Series. Great starter guitar that plays reasonably well but doesn't break the bank. There's nothing worse if you're trying to learn than playing on a really cheap instrument that even a skilled player would struggle with. At the same time, you don't want to drop a lot of money on a guitar and realize a few months later that you're really not that interested in learning. This guitar gives you balance there.

Oh, and steel strings.
lb sand
AG
Several good recommendations for acoustic guitars so far.
However, I highly encourage new guitar players to start with electric.
IMO, electrics are way easier to actually place your fingers on the fret board and actually form some chords. It is easier to make the notes sound correct. You don't have to press the strings as hard as you do on acoustic.

I like some of the inexpensive epiphone Les Paul and SG or Dot as a great starter($200 to $500). They look great, stay in tune pretty well, sound good too.

You don't "need" an amp to learn to play the guitar, but there are some great little practice amps available now.
I got my son the Fender Mustang amp. Tons of cool effects and sounds great even at low volumes.
champagnepapi
Jackson DXMG with EMG Active 81/85 pickups for blues and metal
Broba Fett
Texicurean said:

Several good recommendations for acoustic guitars so far.
However, I highly encourage new guitar players to start with electric.
IMO, electrics are way easier to actually place your fingers on the fret board and actually form some chords. It is easier to make the notes sound correct. You don't have to press the strings as hard as you do on acoustic.

I like some of the inexpensive epiphone Les Paul and SG or Dot as a great starter($200 to $500). They look great, stay in tune pretty well, sound good too.

You don't "need" an amp to learn to play the guitar, but there are some great little practice amps available now.
I got my son the Fender Mustang amp. Tons of cool effects and sounds great even at low volumes.

OP wants to play outside by the campfire though, so would either need a small amp or would need to wail on the electric strings to hear it.
AGnNoCo
AG
What are your opinions on the Taylor 12e?
SumAggie
I'm looking at a Gretsch 5420T. Good guitar or no?
GrapevineAg
AG
Lots of good info/advice in this post. FWIW, I have a Yamaha DW-8 that I picked up cheap at a Guitar Center. I really like the sound - good bang for the buck. My $.02: I wouldn't start on a nylon string guitar unless you just wanna play flamenco.
62strat
AG
If money isn't an issue, get a used Taylor 4 or 5 series. Those things sound so damn good they will motivate you to play like nothing else.
aeon-ag
Tonto Goldstein 93 said:

"Money isn't the issue"

Username checks out.
Tonto, did she make you an offer?! LOL
neil99
AG
I haven't sat and played one of these, but the Taylor 12 looks like it fits in the high end of the starter guitar range. I suspect that it's a great guitar. Taylor's tend to be really easy to play. I would probably skip the pickup and get the 12 instead of the 12e.
stdeb11
AG
B-1 83
AG
Bockaneer
AG
For a starter guitar I'd lean towards the Taylor GS Mini, then I'd look at the 300 series and up- catch a Taylor Road Show to get the sale.
91G 'EM 94GGIES!
BoDog
AG
As a 40 something white guy with kids and a mortgage, having never played and cannot read music, are my chances of learning slim to none?
austinag1997
AG
BoDog said:

As a 40 something white guy with kids and a mortgage, having never played and cannot read music, are my chances of learning slim to none?

No. I taught myself. Takes time unless you are a savant.
EFE
AG
Learn to read tabs, easy peasy
Positraction
AG
I learned on a Kona. It has a thinner than notmal body for an acoustic and a decent sound. They sell for about $150 and can be bought through Amazon.
Cromagnum
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

Learn to read tabs, easy peasy

And learn major and minor chord names/shapes to start.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.