Performance Reviews Seem Pointless and a Waste of Time

2,868 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Vernada
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's year end and the buzz around "performance reviews" have started at my company.

Everyone I have talked to, including managers, and higher-ups see this as a useless chore to get done. No one seems to look forward to it.

My own experience in this over the 2 decades that I have been subject to this has been mixed. I have had great years where I got a lot done, but the review was average/mixed and my manager seemed to look for things he could complain about, hence ruining the review. I have had some years which were plain vanilla, nothing great, but the reviews have come out stellar leaving me perplexed. Even I didn't think I was that good!

I read somewhere that Performance reviews are a vestige of the industrial era. In those days you had to produce 100 widgets a day and they could accurately rate your performance. How does one accurately and fairly rate a knowledge worker that many people are today? If I had to manage a project, I can talk about how well I did it, but the manager can pick and choose negative things to highlight if they wanted to.

In an earlier company, much smaller, they didn't even get to setting goals for the year, and in December, they just asked us to write what we did all year and that became "goals". Goals are supposed to be forward looking.

How do you even set goals for the year? Things change so much in today's world. If at the start of the year, your goals say "Do Project X" and X gets canceled and you are asked to do Y, what happens to your goals? This is very common in today's fast moving world.

Performance Reviews today for most jobs are merely a tool for managers to fix their employees. If they like them, and it could be because they kiss their asses or have the hots for, they can give a good rating. If they dislike them or feel insecure or hate their race/religion, they can screw them and try to get them fired. It is a legal way for managers to be biased and in most places employees have no recourse. I have had a manager once who fraudulently added an item to my review late in the process and graded me poorly on it.

It seems like HR doesn't have much to do, so they have concocted a complex review process to keep themselves relevant.

It is 2018, Isn't it time to find a better way?
bladeag12
AG
I think they are a waste of time. But they somehow equate to my bonus so no big deal.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
BombayAg said:

HR doesn't have much to do

You know that's all you really had to say.
Ag_07
AG
They're dumb

Any good manager should be in tune their employee's performance throughout the year and shouldn't need a one time review.
Dark Helmet
HR always has something to do. We had an Indian kid work for us and he was docked on performance because of his hygiene. Seems to be a common thing. Maybe there's something you aren't sharing?
PeekingDuck
AG
I think it is mainly just a way to routinely document low performers. Seems there's a less wasteful way to do that though.
Duncan Idaho
99% of performance reviews I have had can be summed up as
Boss:"ok, duncan. Great job this year. You did everything great. I really don't have any thing to tell you other than keep on keeping on. So here is your "meets expectations".
Me: "uhmm so what should I have done differently to get an "exceeds expectations"
Boss: "good question, I don't know"
RyanAg08
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Boss:"ok, duncan. Great job this year. You did everything great. I really don't have any thing to tell you other than keep on keeping on. So here is your "meets expectations".
Me: "uhmm so what should I have done differently to get an "exceeds expectations"

The following year...

Boss:"ok, duncan. Great job this year. You did everything even better this year, but 10 other people did really great too and we can only give out 10 "exceeds expectations" ratings. So here is your "meets expectations"
DrZ
AG
Somewhere along the way the point of reviews has changed.
It used to be for the employee to be praised or criticized in order to improve.
Now its for the company to CYA for lawsuits.
They are political in nature and a complete waste of time.
Beer Baron
AG
Yeah they're a lot like BombayAg threads that way.
Cromagnum
AG
RyanAg08 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

The following year...

Boss:"ok, duncan. Great job this year. You did everything even better this year, but 10 other people did really great too and we can only give out 10 "exceeds expectations" ratings. So here is your "meets expectations"

Both of these are spot on.
Dad
AG
What do yall think of 90 day employee evaluations? I feel like if I haven't fired you or had to have a talk about your performance by day 90 then there is really nothing to talk about.

I'm supposed to do one of those today but don't see the point in it, but it has always been done that way.
EastSideAg2002
Upper level management already made their decisions before the reviews anyway.
Duncan Idaho
aggie-master said:

What do yall think of 90 day employee evaluations? I feel like if I haven't fired you or had to have a talk about your performance by day 90 then there is really nothing to talk about.

I'm supposed to do one of those today but don't see the point in it, but it has always been done that way.

An evaluation or a touch point.?

At 90 days I'd be more interested in feedback about the onboarding process from the employee's perspective than anything else.

"Yo, you been here for about 3 months now. What could we have done differently during your orientation and training that would have got you up to speed faster? "

I also like Zappos program of after you successfully finish your evaluation period, you're offered a cash bonus to leave the company. It provides a great safety valve that keeps employees that don't want to be there from having to stick around.
BombayAg
Dark Helmet said:

HR always has something to do. We had an Indian kid work for us and he was docked on performance because of his hygiene. Seems to be a common thing. Maybe there's something you aren't sharing?

That is strange. Because Indians bathe every day in the morning. We are required to, culturally.

We don't go weeks without a shower and just mask our body odor with cheap deo and other disgusting smelling stuff like your people do.

I really recommend that you shower every day in the morning and go easy on the deo. It's always the heavy deo users who don't shower.
BombayAg
Duncan Idaho said:

ha ha this has happened to me a lot.
I don't even give much credence to these reviews anymore. The manager just cannot always say "you are awesome, you were outstanding" because that always would beg the question of why I get a measly 3% raise. So they have to put in some negative stuff and end up scrounging around to find some dirt to put on there to balance out all the good stuff to justify the 2-3% raise.

Then again, the raise % does not depend on the employee, it depends on what the company can afford. So it works backwards. If they want to keep you (even if you suck), they give you the highest they can. It's a delicate balancing act they perform because they want to keep average to good employees but also not pay them too much.
BombayAg
Beer Baron said:

Yeah they're a lot like BombayAg threads that way.

Did you consider that you may be too stupid to understand my threads?
My threads aren't for illiterates and dunces. You are better off in the entertainment board talking about your favorite soap.
Beer Baron
AG
BombayAg
aggie-master said:

Well they all suck.
I think a 90 day unofficial feedback meeting for max 30 minutes would have the most impact. But they make it an official thing with paperwork and it loses it's value.

As someone here said, it is just a CYA in case they want to fire someone. They can claim that they "coached" the person.

There is something called "Manager Once Removed" meetings. So you talk to your boss's boss. I have not done it this year because I don't want to deal with any bad impact. My MOR is the CEO of the company and if I say anything negative, even constructively, it may piss some people off and then I have to bear the brunt. So I see nothing beneficial to me in these meetings, and I won't put myself at risk to benefit the company.

BombayAg
Beer Baron said:

Hmm. Looks like I hurt your feelings.

Hey, someone had to tell you to your face. Dad and Mom were busy smoking crack instead of raising you right, so I have empathy for your situation.
BombayAg
Tonto Goldstein 93 said:

BombayAg said:

HR doesn't have much to do

You know that's all you really had to say.

You know, you are right.
LostInLA07
AG
Cromagnum said:

RyanAg08 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

The following year...

Both of these are spot on.

Being great at your job is meeting expectations. You can exceed expectations by making meaningful positive impacts outside of your day to day job. Expand your sphere of influence and do great things where you aren't required to in addition to excelling at your assigned responsibilities and you will exceed expectations.
Dark Helmet
BombayAg said:

Dark Helmet said:

That is strange. Because Indians bathe every day in the morning. We are required to, culturally.

We don't go weeks without a shower and just mask our body odor with cheap deo and other disgusting smelling stuff like your people do.

I really recommend that you shower every day in the morning and go easy on the deo. It's always the heavy deo users who don't shower.

I like the "nah, bro, lol, ur de 1 who don shower, lol, I shower er day lol". I guess I should start a go fund me for my burn ward treatment.

I maintain that the Indian caste system got started so they could have a label for the funk of certain Indians. "Damn, Patel, this dude rank as hell. Stop *****ing about Great Britain and come smell this dude. Whoooooo...I think a good name for this jackass is Dalit. Cause we gonna Dalit this fool on fire to get rid of the funk. Jeez. Maybe we better crap in the street outside his house, too. Anything to stop these fumes. Good thing we ate curry today. And yesterday."

Direct Enter Enter
I thought everyone just completed their own for the boss to sign.
petey88

The place I last worked, we had to do a self review and and turn it in. I always had to cover one guy, as he was an idiot and always out for whatever reason. One of those times he took a week off for minor surgery (he was out three weeks), I saw a copy of his self review so I read it to perhaps to see if I could see something that may help me out for the next one.

That ******* lied all over it, and had rated himself as "outstanding". There were five categories one could rate themselves and the boss would choose a rating as well. This time the boss rated him one step lower as "excellent". I couldn't believe it, the boss didn't even catch his lies. The most glaring lie was this guy claimed he covered for me when I was out for surgery. The thing was I wasn't.

They finally figured out what I had been telling them for several years that this guy should be fired. The guy quit, moved out of state. I had to train his replacement. After taking care of many problems that were unattended, the expense reports blew up so much the home office looked into it. I had documented everything. Funny thing is, they boss that looked the other way all those years got himself promoted. As it turned out, he was a lying sack of crap too and got fired shortly afterward.

Two years ago, I had finally had enough and retired early.
dcAg
I worked for a company for 5 years or so. The CEO is a good friend of mine however the "President" hated me because of our relationship with the CEO.

She insisted on performance reviews so she could rake me over the coals. Which she did. Of course I was responsible for keeping the companies doors open for 3 - 4 years because of the deals I sources.

CEO gave me a bonus that was 50% of my salary.
HHAG
AG
At the last place I worked, we would do a self review and then the day before the one on one, my asswipe boss would call a bunch of people that I interacted with and ask them for criticism (he did this with everyone, not just me). At the review, he would pull out a bunch of anonymous *****es from people (most of which he made up, I think) and use them to show how you were not meeting the demands of your job. I always asked for the source, so I could follow up with the complainant, but he never did supply any info. **** him, glad I don't work for that ******* anymore.
B-1 83
AG
Sounds like you had some bad managers. I've had some the same way. I've also had some that used them right.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Performance reviews are a timeline of documentation to provide cover for employees that may be terminated or cause problems to the company in the future. That, and it provides a reason for middle management to exist and show some value to the company.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I quite like performance reviews.

1) my manager is the always grumpy type, so it's fun to sit with him for an hour and him tell me I'm doing a good job.
2) reviews mean I get more money.
MisterScott
AG
The process is there really for two reasons. 1. in case they want to fire you, 2. to justify a bonus/promotions. Few, if any system, are fully utilized to actually drive employee performance improvement. Management CYA.
BombayAg
HHAG said:

At the last place I worked, we would do a self review and then the day before the one on one, my asswipe boss would call a bunch of people that I interacted with and ask them for criticism (he did this with everyone, not just me). At the review, he would pull out a bunch of anonymous *****es from people (most of which he made up, I think) and use them to show how you were not meeting the demands of your job. I always asked for the source, so I could follow up with the complainant, but he never did supply any info. **** him, glad I don't work for that ******* anymore.

In my previous job, I had 4 managers in a year. Manager 3 was a crazy BSC beech. She gave me a bad review by fraudulently adding an item and grading me very low so that ruined everything else. Then she claimed that boss 2 and boss 1 (my hiring manager) had not so good things to say about me. I asked her for proof, email, or some documentation, and she said she had none. I was looking for a new job anyway, so I didn't care too much but on hindsight, I should have raised a stink about it and gotten her into trouble for lying and committing fraud.
Vernada
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

so your boss expects you to be great at your job and you're upset?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.