Best DNA Kits?

3,787 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 2012Ag
Pirate04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking into getting one for my mom for Christmas this year. There are so many different brands out there now so which one do I choose???
riverrataggie
AG
quanah
Just be aware that if your mother has ever gotten away with a crime but left DNA evidence at the scene which was collected, they can use this information to find her and charge her with the crime.
Potcake
AG
Do you really want to know she isn't your mom?
EFE
AG
My DNA kit is off the market, TYVM.
Geralt of Rivia
S
My sister got 23 and me kits for the entire family a few years back, so that's the only one that I'm really familiar with
Ragoo
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

hey look everyone EFE tied the knot to a single vagina for the rest of his life
EFE
AG
For me to tie myself to this one, must make it something special. What with all the other what nots. Would hate to have any doubt in the equation, like some folks.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I don't believe you. He has never mentioned it
quanah
Post pics of yall's wives and i'll decide whose is hotter. Also state the acreage of their daddy's ranch to determine the true winner.
Drawkcab
Geralt of Rivia said:

My sister got 23 and me kits for the entire family a few years back, so that's the only one that I'm really familiar with

And?

(Damn, what the **** kind of post is this? Oh you used it! Oh, ok. Good info. Thanks a lot!)
Geralt of Rivia
S
It's the kind of post that allows her to ask me questions about it. How would I know what she is looking to get out of it?
Claude!
My family did Ancestry.com - required a lot of spit but worked fine. I apparently have 991 fourth cousins or closer registered on the site.
Swarely
EagleFordEarl said:

She said best.
EFE
AG
-.l..
Pirate04
AG
Geralt of Rivia said:

It's the kind of post that allows her to ask me questions about it. How would I know what she is looking to get out of it?
I guess I'm interested in which one offered the best information for the money but I'm leaning towards 23 and Me.
EFE
AG
Claude! said:

My family did Ancestry.com - required a lot of spit but worked fine. I apparently have 991 fourth cousins or closer registered on the site.

Talk about expanding your dating pool
Geralt of Rivia
S
I think there are different levels of 23 and me now. There is one that just does heritage type stuff, and I think there is one that also does checks on DNA markers for various things (but it shouldn't be used as a way to diagnose things)
dellgriffith
AG
Don't know which is the best. However, I am meeting my 52 year old half sister on Thanksgiving because of the Ancestry DNA kits.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Slicer97
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

For me to tie myself to this one, must make it something special. What with all the other what nots. Would hate to have any doubt in the equation, like some folks.

Give it 5 years. That honey-do list is gonna get old as ***** You'll still be happy and love her, but you're gonna gripe and drink a lot more than you are now.

It's still worth it though. Mostly....
aggiepublius
AG
quanah said:

Just be aware that if your mother has ever gotten away with a crime but left DNA evidence at the scene which was collected, they can use this information to find her and charge her with the crime.

Or if you have committed a crime. Or a sibling or cousin. These private DNA companies are not subject to many regulations and police are using them for fishing expeditions.

And they companies have been found to be selling the data to pharmaceutical and insurance companies. Much of it is supposed to be anonymized but nevertheless, the data you give them may be used in ways your aren't expecting.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2018/04/27/ancestry-genealogy-dna-test-privacy-golden-state-killer/557263002/
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
EFE
AG
Slicer97 said:

EagleFordEarl said:

Give it 5 years. That honey-do list is gonna get old as ***** You'll still be happy and love her, but you're gonna gripe and drink a lot more than you are now.

It's still worth it though. Mostly....

How's your old lady and her kid doing these days?
Slicer97
AG
They a'ight.
Old Tom Morris
quanah said:

Or any close family members

Not to mention, they're pulling the results out of their ass. You may as well have your mom write a letter to Santa asking about her ancestry, and you can write back as Santa.
Old Tom Morris
DrHeadShrink said:

I found out I'm Silician, now, if that's a fact, tell me, am I lying? 'Cause I'm part eggplant.

Once you go black, you never go back [/your great great great grandmother]
TyHolden
AG
Found out I'm related to POTUS
chjoak
AG
Pirate04 said:

Looking into getting one for my mom for Christmas this year. There are so many different brands out there now so which one do I choose???

Got my wife 23&me last Xmas. She wanted to do one. I researched. Don't recall why I picked that one but based on my research I deemed it to be the best options for her. She got one for me for my bday (I honestly didn't want one at the time) and it showed that my heritage doesn't really match a number of things I've been told my entire life. Now we are getting tests for my mom and dad to either prove they were lied to about their heritage or I was switched at birth.
aggiepublius
AG
Here are some reviews: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dna-test/
Dr.Rumack
Your Mom got a lot of my DNA tests before her teats started saggin'...
Al Bula
AG
This thread is C+ trolling
TxSquarebody
Did you smoke yourself we todd did?
Floor it until you see God
Drawkcab
Claude! said:

You only need like 2-3 kids per generation to get over 900 fourth cousins.
Drawkcab
I know an Ag who used Ancestry.com. The site connected him to a man he eventually figured out is his grandfather and the man he always thought was his grandfather is not his father's father.

The guy is the absolute spitting image of his real grandfather in his younger days. Really fascinating stuff.
The Fife
Pirate04 said:

Honest answer from experience, it really depends on what she wants. IMO Ancestry's plusses are the significantly larger user base and the 'what part of the world did I come from' stuff is updated regularly as more data becomes available so it's definitely not a one and done.

23&Me has more random stuff like % Neanderthal and research surveys you can choose to participate in or not, and in my specific case the origins type stuff was a bit more specific. User base something like 2 million vs. 10 last I checked.

This probably won't apply to her - I'm very well versed in these since the dad who raised me is not my biological father, and I found a paternal aunt on Ancestry DNA that led me to who he actually is. I'm in loose communication with a half sister and her mom (bio father's 2nd ex wife) is a wonderful person who's helped a ton with medical history on his side. I'm really glad I decided to test.

Also there could be a bunch of people I'm related to who were born in the San Antonio or Austin area between about 1977 and 1983 so if that applies to you and you'd like a brother who posts entirely too much on Texags please go take a test!

edit: There's a site called Promothease that you can download your raw data file from Ancestry/23&Me from and get much more detailed medical information for $5. It's better than what 23&Me offers IMO.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.