What was your favorite Thanksgiving at Kyle Field?

3,165 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aeon-ag
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
From MacResource Computers:
MacResource Computers is giving away an iPhone Case to one lucky TexAgs user this week!
Just tell us your favorite Thanksgiving memory at Kyle Field and you'll be entered to win!

PreOrders Extended through day of sale - Nov.16

Take advantage of extra savings this November! Notebooks starting as low as $799, you don't want to miss out! Skip the crazy lines and preorder online today! Pick up and shipping options available.
Check out all the ways to save at mac-resource.com/preorder

Burdizzo
AG

42-10
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
12-7
Colonel A. 1976
AG
1975 AGGIES win 20 to 10, my last game in Kyle as a student!!
Col. A 1976
hsjnlssmith89
AG
1985!! Ice cold! freahman year, Night game environment, pure offensive and defensive domination from start to finish, cotton filling the air like snow, ears ringing, win gave Ags 1st cotton bowl appearance since 1968! And I believe bonfire stood until past midnight.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Not really Kyle Field, but my wife and I were married the day of bonfire in 1988.

Few people can say they went to Aggie bonfire on their wedding night.

Thanksgiving day this year will be our 30th wedding anniversary
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
AGnBCS
AG
93 cold AF and sleeting , watching Leon Lett's guffaw on a tiny TV as we walked in , Sam Adams controlling the line of scrimmage, Electric Leland's coming out party 100 yd td return, Last time I saw Greg Hill and Rodney Thomas on the field together . Beating the sips 18-9 with great defense and special teams play to win the SWC and go to the cotton bowl .
OldArmyAggie94
AG
AGnBCS said:

93 cold AF and sleeting , watching Leon Lett's guffaw on a tiny TV as we walked in , Sam Adams controlling the line of scrimmage, Electric Leland's coming out party 100 yd td return, Last time I saw Greg Hill and Rodney Thomas on the field together . Beating the sips 18-9 with great defense and special teams play to win the SWC and go to the cotton bowl .

This.
riverrataggie
AG
The one where I got an iPhone case
80s Guy
AGnBCS said:

Came here to post this
Ag 11
AG
November 26, 1999
88planoAg
AG
Dr.Rumack
Probably '92. My friend had decent mountain bike. I just rode whatever bike wasn't locked up.

So off we went to Double Dave's on George Bush. I had two flat tires on a sheety bike that had been out there at least 15-20 years. I don't think it even had a seat.

Best rolls ever. Grease just burning my chin. Didn't are I was nearly a thousand miles from any family.

Then second is one before that when someone's parents brought a whole cooler of Chico's tacos to go along with the turkey.
superunknown
AG
80s Guy said:

AGnBCS said:

Came here to post this

This was mine as well. Raining cotton on those fools
CajunAg97
AG
superunknown said:

80s Guy said:

AGnBCS said:

Came here to post this

This was mine as well. Raining cotton on those fools
This guy making the big interception
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
1967. I was 10. Ed Hargett hit Bob Long for an 86 yd TD in a 10-7 win. Charlie Riggs first half field goal bounced over the cross bar. Sips had Chris Gilbert and Bill Bradley. Aggies went to the Cotton Bowl and beat Alabama.

My best Thanksgiving ever.
combat wombat™
AG
AGnBCS said:

Yep. This is what came to mind for me, as well. Bunch old farts up in here.
Scotty Flamingo
Brian Earl Spilner said:

12-7

Pretty sure this was Austin.
Sticks&Stones
AG
AGnBCS said:

Yep...had to scrape ice off of the truck before driving home. We were well prepared and perfectly warm except that I lost one glove on the way in...my hand is still cold
Clob94

Last SWC game ever. As we are leaving the field I saw a guy and a girl run onto midfield and he un-assed his jeans and she yanked up her skirt and they tried to go at it in the scrum. As we ran toward the tunnel, my team mate had the ball in his helmet. We go from a jog to a run to a frantic sprint toward to end zone because people were flooding the field-- as we approach the end zone the corp pulls their swords like it's a cavalry charge and were blocking our route to the tunnel.

Needless to say, ths t didn't work and because of that night, I don't think they are allowed to draw their sabers any more.
Tecolote
AG
1987 - was so loud tu QB kept asking refs to quiet the crowd - ref threatened the crowd with a penalty which of course made it even louder.
Turf96
For me November 28, 1991. It was thanksgiving day and I got a call at my grandparents house from my math teacher. He was a huge sip fan even though he ran track for Oregon. He had come down with the flu and had two free tickets for his Aggie buddy if I wanted to go.

My grandmother was as big an Aggie fan as you could get for not being able to go there. She had a son, son in law, and brother in law all graduate but not one person had ever taken her to an Aggie game. She had just told me that a month before and I couldn't believe it.

She always cooked everything from scratch as all old ranch wives did. I got the call at noon. We were just about to eat thanksgiving lunch when I said if you want to go I'll take you as I had just got my drivers license 4 months before. She never thought of herself first but this time she looked straight at the family and said you had better serve yourself. She had just pulled the turkey out. She went and changed carved off enough turkey and we ate turkey sandwiches and drank Dr. Pepper in the car on the way to grab tickets in my home town and head to the game.

She had bad knees and suffered from arthritis since her late 30's. Tickets happened to be on lower deck in the old horseshoe. Couldn't believe it but we found parking as close to stadium as I have ever had. We walked into that stadium after a long drive just in time to find seats and turn to see the field for opening kick off. We had run ragged getting there. At noon we had been planning on watching game on TV. I remember her saying i hope they didn't burn my last pie. She had left so fast she had forgotten to get it out of the oven.

She had a hard time getting up and down so she stood. Tea sip in back smarted off to her. I was ready for a fight even if I was young. She gave me no time and turned to him and said "I'm an old lady that has bad knees but more important than that I'm and Aggie and you will just have to get used to it." The guy just said nothing(in our day you didn't mouth your elders). She turned to me and said I never like them kind and I hope we beat their tails now. Next play Marcus Buckley intercepted a swing type pass and took it to the house. She loved every minute of her only Aggie game at kyle field. We won 31-14 that night. Was the way football was meant to be played. We had like 220 yard offense and them about 150 I believe. We scored on offense, defense, and special teams. At least 10 targeting calls would have been made that night.

We drove all the way back home that night as we didn't have a place to stay. We toured MSC after and she wanted to go look at BF. I remember we made it home about 1 hour before daylight. I went in to take a shower and heard her in kitchen signing saw varsitys horn off and making bacon. Asked her what she was doing. Said I have a family to feed it, is almost time to get up. She then told me somebody saved the pie but they didn't leave much for us. We shared the last piece and made breakfast together.

She isn't with us anymore but she was one of the 2 best dates I ever took to kyle field. The other one and I celebrated 20 years of marriage this year.

1991 is my final answer and it isn't close for me.
FishrCoAg
AG
Awesome story. That one's gonna be hard to top.
wheelz
AG
Buckley's pick was the best. Did the airplane dance in the endzone. I was in the 2nd deck on the 30.
Stupe
S
AGnBCS said:

And in Wrecking Crew fashion, a pick in the end zone sealed the deal.

Holy crap that was cold, nasty, miserable, wonderful game to be at.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Ask me why my PIN number has been 4210 for the last 30 something years.
FJB
TxFig
AG

The t.u. band was respectful.
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
Unemployed
AG
AGnBCS said:

I was actually at that Cowboys game.
1990Hullaballoo
AG
Thanksgiving day, 1987.

My sophomore year and first Aggie-t.u. game in person.(In that other city the year before.)

My room mate drew our tickets on the Wednesday before. GREAT SEATS! 50 yard line. 3rd Deck, top row. First two seats to the south of the 50 yard line. We set an attendance record for Kyle field at the time - 78,573. This was before the north end zone addition. Bleachers were set up in front of the scoreboard/megatron in the south end zone and a bunch of standing areas around the track.

We kicked off, they got the ball. As soon as the teams hit the field EVERYONE in the stadium started yelling (including the Old Ags). Stomping on the metal seats. The sound was deafening. You had to yell at the person standing next to you to for them to understand you. The t.u. center couldn't hear the QB for the snap count, much less the rest of the line or the receivers. The QB looked at the refs who called time out and had the PA announce the crowd had to be quieter! As soon as the teams lined up again, the noise level went even louder. The QB looked at the ref - the ref wouldn't call time out, so the QB did because NONE of his teammates could hear him. After the time out, we got just as loud again. The QB looked at the ref and the ref just motioned that he would just have to play. They snapped the ball with no gain on the play. Each down the teams came to the line, we got just as loud. The result was they had to punt the ball away on their first possession.

The same thing happened for t.u.'s second and third possession. By then, they had worked out hand signals to get the snap. Finally, the noise level went down some, but the whole game was crazy loud.

Towards the end of the fourth quarter, we knew we had it won. Cotton started flying, as this game decided who went to the Cotton Bowl. I still have pictures that show the cotton flying in the stadium. It looked like it was snowing on Kyle Field. Even the TV cameras were having trouble seeing through it.

We BTHO t.u. 20-13 (AGAIN(1983-89)).

Went to the Cotton Bowl and beat #12 Notre Dame.

I didn't have a voice for the next three days.

I think that was one of the best examples of the 12th man spirit I've seen at any game. The 12th man definitely made a difference in the outcome of this game. The LSU game from 2018 might be an even match though.

This is the story I tell non-ags to TRY to show them the SPIRIT of AGGIELAND.
wbt5845
AG
Favorite? Every Thanksgiving since 2012 since we no longer play the sips.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Butcher of Blaviken said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

12-7

Pretty sure this was Austin.
Indeed. I was thinking of 38-30.
aTm2004
AG
2007. We were tailgating at Reed and my normally calm and non-drinking uncle decided to celebrate by drinking an entire bottle of Crown. He literally started acting like a child with "nope" when my aunt tried to get him to eat something or sit down. Neal McCoy's bus stopped in the aisle right by us, and my uncle just wondered into his bus (wrapped up in a Mexican blanket and all) like he owned it.
Swarely
Burdizzo said:

42-10

I was born the night before. Have a can of Bonfire ashes somewhere.
Duncan Idaho
It was an away weekend. The town was gloriously empty. So we try to figure out what to that night.

We could go to the chick? Naw
We could go get something to eat? Naw
Carney's? Naw
Longhorn? Naw
P.tarm? Naw
Well what about.....? What the hell! Why not.

So we grab a couple of Roadies and pile into the truck to head over to the filthy sock.

We walk in the place and who is on stage? It is the ex girlfriend of a buddy of ours needless to say, I immediately run to the stage start waving a dollar. After about 30 seconds of her shaking her boobs in my face, it clicks with her who I am. "Duncan!!! Damnit I should have know one of Steve's friends would see me here." I make her give me hug and keep giving her dollars to make this as awkward as possible for her. Waiting until I get to tell her ex that the girl he wanted to marry had rubbed her tits in my face for 10 dimes/20 nickles/4 quarters.

Then I walk to the bathroom and I keep getting stopped by people in the club that knew me. It started to really dawn on me that I needed to take stock of my life when I knew about a third of the socks customer's that night by name. And I don't me that I knew a big group of guys. I mean I knew one or two guys out of every group and a few that were there by themselves.

At that point, I suggest that we finish our drinks, buy another case, head down to San Antonio and shoot some birds.

aeon-ag
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

1967. I was 10. Ed Hargett hit Bob Long for an 86 yd TD in a 10-7 win. Charlie Riggs first half field goal bounced over the cross bar. Sips had Chris Gilbert and Bill Bradley. Aggies went to the Cotton Bowl and beat Alabama.

My best Thanksgiving ever.
Mine also! First time to beat the obnoxious sip since 1956.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.