Bracing for "Happy Holidays"

4,640 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GoneGirl
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now that it's November, there is a lot of "Merry Christmas!" being said everywhere, but when white folks see brown me, they immediately switch to "Happy Holidays!".

I always respond with Merry Christmas!

I don't understand what there is to be offended about saying Christmas. Why PC it up with Holidays? It's Holidays because of Christmas.

Disclaimer: I am Hindu, not Christian.
AgBass01
AG
BenFiasco14
AG
Happy Kwanzaa, Bombay!
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Liquid Wrench
Happy Diwali, you crazy sock puppet.
Unemployed
AG
You're an effing liar.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
BombayAg said:

I don't understand what there is to be offended about saying Christmas. Why PC it up with Holidays? It's Holidays because of Christmas.
I don't understand why people get offended when somebody says Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.
MooreTrucker
AG
Christmas is a day.

"Holidays" includes at least New Year's Day, and even Thanksgiving up to a point, even if you don't want to recognize Kwanzaa, etc.

And FTR, Xmas is NOT a "wrong" replacement for Christmas. It's just shorthand. The "X" represents the Greek letter chi which is part of Chi Rho which represents Christ.

C-mas, OTOH, is just stupid.
Swarely
I say Happt Holidays because I celebrate Christmas and New Years. Two holidays. Plural.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Synopsis
Festivus
Holly Golightly
AG
Happy hollgans
Scoopen Skwert
AG
v
Slicer97
AG
BombayAg said:

Your god tastes great. Especially medium rare.
justcallmeharry
S
Slicer97 said:

BombayAg said:

GoneGirl
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Christmas is a day.

"Holidays" includes at least New Year's Day, and even Thanksgiving up to a point, even if you don't want to recognize Kwanzaa, etc.

And FTR, Xmas is NOT a "wrong" replacement for Christmas. It's just shorthand. The "X" represents the Greek letter chi which is part of Chi Rho which represents Christ.

C-mas, OTOH, is just stupid.
This.
It's 41 days until Christmas. If you're saying Merry Christmas now, I rank you right up there with stores that are only playing Christmas music, or that have Christmas stuff out before Halloween.

That being said, if anyone wants to wish me a happy or merry anything, how can I be offended? They want me to be happy or merry. I want me to be happy and merry. We're on the same page.

So to all of you, happy National Education Support Professionals Day, Merry National Pickle Day and have a wonderful and blessed National Spicy Guacamole Day, even if none of the three are something you practice.

"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
MooreTrucker
AG
And Happy Zinfandel Day as well.
GoneGirl
AG
Why thank you. I'll have to celebrate that this evening.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
Vernada
AG
Happy Holidays is a great catchall.

People that get upset about it are generally unhappy folks to start with.
fistofsouth
I mean if we're honest Christmas should be closer to Labor Day, but just like Easter it was grafted onto a previously celebrated pagan holiday to make conversion easier.
lotsofhp
AG
justcallmeharry said:

Slicer97 said:

BombayAg said:

That gif really picks up at the end
MooreTrucker
AG
And cuts off too soon.
BombayAg
Slicer97 said:

BombayAg said:

I know.

I prefer Medium though.

Med Rare is for uncivilized animals.

Oh mama.

MooreTrucker
AG
BombayAg said:

Slicer97 said:

BombayAg said:

I know.

I prefer Medium though.

Med Rare is for uncivilized animals.

Oh mama.

You mean Medium burnt.
swc93
AG
Quote:

Now that it's November, there is a lot of "Merry Christmas!" being said everywhere,
Bullsh*t
GoneGirl
AG
MooreTrucker
AG
I'm definitely gonna steal that.
decent looking Ag
fistofsouth said:

I mean if we're honest Christmas should be closer to Labor Day, but just like Easter it was grafted onto a previously celebrated pagan holiday to make conversion easier.

I hear this from atheists a lot, like it's some one up over the Christians that Jesus wasn't actually born on December 25th. It's immaterial though. The point of the Christmas holiday wasn't to pinpoint the historically correct day that Jesus was probably born, and then celebrate his birth on that day. The point was just to designate one day out of the year to celebrate the birth of Christ. The fact that the day chosen is not the date of Jesus's actual birth, and the fact that it used to be a pagan holiday, is irrelevant.
Vernada
AG
atheist? Sounds like a reasonable comment that any pragmatic Christian would make also.
decent looking Ag
Vernada said:

atheist? Sounds like a reasonable comment that any pragmatic Christian would make also.

Pragmatic about what? There's not even any point to the comment.
Lex
I read this as

Happy Endings.

Not Holidays.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Lex said:

I read this as

Happy Endings.

Not Holidays.

BombayAg
decent looking Ag said:

fistofsouth said:

I hear this from atheists a lot, like it's some one up over the Christians that Jesus wasn't actually born on December 25th. It's immaterial though. The point of the Christmas holiday wasn't to pinpoint the historically correct day that Jesus was probably born, and then celebrate his birth on that day. The point was just to designate one day out of the year to celebrate the birth of Christ. The fact that the day chosen is not the date of Jesus's actual birth, and the fact that it used to be a pagan holiday, is irrelevant.

Did Jesus even exist?

I think someone stole Krishna's story. Check out the similarities.

http://www.krishna.com/krishna-or-christ-name-same
decent looking Ag
I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed by historians that the person commonly known as Jesus did exist. Whether he was the son of god is obviously up for debate.
Vernada
AG
decent looking Ag said:

Vernada said:

Pragmatic about what? There's not even any point to the comment.
pragmatic about how Christmas came to be celebrated when it is as opposed to somewhere around the actual date.

your original comment makes it sound as if only atheists are capable of acknowledging Christmas isn't Christ's actual birthday but instead a usurpation of a popular pagan one.

you basically labeled the poster as atheist for having the audacity to make a rather straight forward comment about the timing of Christmas that pretty much any reasonable person (atheist or not) is capable of making.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.