Which school would you be more ashamed to admit you went to?

3,942 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Baylor or Penn State?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
quanah
Baylor
decent looking Ag
Easily Rapelor. Penn State isn't even close to being in the same league of embarrassment.
Unemployed
AG
Baylor.

You're paying private school tuition for a public school level education.
redd38
AG
Baylor, by far.
spence10
AG
Baylor, unless I wifed up some hot co-ed before I graduated.
ac04
i would have been ashamed/embarrassed to admit i went to baylor even before they were raping everybody
BlueAg2003
AG
My wife went to Penn State. Nobody should be embarrassed to be from there. It is a beautiful campus with strong academics and a good football team. Honestly, it is very similar to A&M. State College vs. College Station, they have ag programs, small, spirited college town, cool bar area that resembles Northgate, and the list goes on.
TJJackson
Baylol
MROD92
Any school that accepted Your Friend
vin1041
AG
Baylor!
AggieBand2004
AG
BlueAg2003 said:

My wife went to Penn State. Nobody should be embarrassed to be from there. It is a beautiful campus with strong academics and a good football team. Honestly, it is very similar to A&M. State College vs. College Station, they have ag programs, small, spirited college town, cool bar area that resembles Northgate, and the list goes on.

Very accurate.
Minus the crappiness of their fans (something that is a requirement for B1G membership), they are very much like A&M
powerbelly
AG
BlueAg2003 said:

Other than protecting a child rapist and enabling his continued access to children this is spot on.
BlueAg2003
AG
I think the thing that sucks about that is that the average student had nothing to do with any of that. Something like that could happen just as easily at A&M. I know we think we'd be better than that, but all it takes is some power hungry folks to make terrible decisions and focus more on protecting their buddy and the bottom line. Outside of a few idiots in the fan base (mostly T-shirt fans...as you see with the longhorns protecting their snow-blowing coach), Penn State students and alumni would never condone what happened there.
powerbelly
AG
BlueAg2003 said:

I think the thing that sucks about that is that the average student had nothing to do with any of that. Something like that could happen just as easily at A&M. I know we think we'd be better than that, but all it takes is some power hungry folks to make terrible decisions and focus more on protecting their buddy and the bottom line. Outside of a few idiots in the fan base (mostly T-shirt fans...as you see with the longhorns protecting their snow-blowing coach), Penn State students and alumni would never condone what happened there.
If I happened at A&M I would completely disassociate myself with the school. Penn State fans act like nothing happened.
PatAg
AG
I put the over/under at number of Penn State fans you personally know at 0.
Liquid Wrench
BlueAg2003 said:

Disagree to an extent. The status and level of autonomy JoePa and his staff had at that school was fairly unique in the modern collegiate sports world. Abuses can happen anywhere, but the ability to cover up and quiet dissenters was different there.
aeon-ag
RealTalk said:

Baylor.

You're paying private school tuition for a public school level education.
Baylor is the private school dump as Tech is the public school dump!
PoohAh97
AG
powerbelly said:

BlueAg2003 said:

If I happened at A&M I would completely disassociate myself with the school. Penn State fans act like nothing happened.
Slight correction: Penn State fans act a little resentful that people got all worked up about it.
Talon2DSO
AG
Baylor. Easily.
Bruce Almighty
AG
powerbelly said:

BlueAg2003 said:

Proof or just talking out your ass? They may have thought Joe Pa was more innocent than the rest of the nation, but I have a hard time believing they act like nothing happened.
William Larue Weller
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Baylor or Penn State?

Well Baylor offered me admission and a full scholarship via a text message back in 2009.

And I hadn't even applied there.

So yeah, Baylor.
Retired Principal
AG
Baylor
Twice the money for half the fun.
Bayside Tiger Ag
No offense to BlueAg's wife, but Penn State is ***** I've worked with a large sample of Penn State grads, and the majority of them believe they are high performers at work when they're mostly full of ***** Drinking is a sport to them and they think dancing/drinking all night long at "THON" should demand the same level of respect as Muster or Big Event. In terms of becoming a degree mill, they are similar to A&M. However, A&M has a larger sample of good students to pull from and seems to be attracting solid students still thanks to the size of Texas, whereas Penn State has to pull from the Menonites and bum**** PA populations to keep their revenue growing.

About 10% of the Penn Stater's I've worked with are humble and very good at their jobs, but the vast majority are not.
That school and its network can go to hell for all I care.
Dread Pirate Roberts
Bruce Almighty said:

powerbelly said:

BlueAg2003 said:

Proof or just talking out your ass? They may have thought Joe Pa was more innocent than the rest of the nation, but I have a hard time believing they act like nothing happened.

They admit horrible crimes happened, but don't think Paterno, the team, or the school should be held responsible even though they knew about it and didn't stop it.
BlueAg2003
AG
I'm not sure I agree with your point about pulling from bumf*** PA. My wife, and most of her friends, are from the metro areas of the northeast. Almost everyone I've ever met that went to Penn State is from NYC, Philly, DC, or in lesser numbers, Pittsburgh.

As far as THON goes, it is a tradition they're proud of. We have some goofy looking ones from the outside. Again, of the Penn State grads I know, which is all of my wife's friends and actually a couple of people that I work with and have no connection to her, I've heard 0 talk about THON for more than a few seconds. It's usually just been that they participated. I'd say it's at least as meaningful as Big Event, as far as impact to the community. Even to me Big Event is a little bit of a joke as I spent one year pulling weeds for an hour in someone's yard who was fully capable of doing it themselves. Another year was spent with about 20 people aimlessly wandering around while an old woman had us do odd jobs after we moved a fridge she needed out of her garage. It took us about five minutes to do that.

THON raised $10 million this year for pediatric cancer research. I think they're allowed to be proud of that tradition.
Bayside Tiger Ag
Don't get me wrong, I'd go to Penn State before I ever went to Baylor, but it's a lesser of two evils thing. The majority of Penn Staters I've worked with don't have half the humility that the majority of Aggies I've worked with have.

Again, no disrespect to your wife. I just don't like her alma mater or its network of people.
agsalaska
AG
I had a different experience with Penn State grads. I was always very impressed with them, though it was a limited count on probably two hands sample size and all employed in either Ohio, Illinois, or Texas.
Bayside Tiger Ag
The ones I worked with mostly were in Philly and some in NYC.
PoohAh97
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

The majority of Penn Staters I've worked with don't have half the humility that the majority of Aggies I've worked with have.
I'm not so sure that, as a people, "humility" is one of those things we're known for. Maybe amongst each other, but out in the world, not so much.
Iowaggie
AG
A difference between the two fan bases is that Penn St has a much larger non-alumni base from Pennsylvania.

In my experience, the alum of Penn St is much less obnoxious than t-shirt fan, but that is true for a lot of larger state school fan bases. Baylor has a lot smaller fan base, although my tarp is a fan.

aggieforester05
AG
BlueAg2003 said:

I've spent a lot of time working on the east coast and been to Pennsylvania a lot outside of the major metro areas, never been to any of them. Rural Pennsylvania reminds me of Texas more than any other Northeastern state. Surprisingly country with beautiful rolling hills.
BlueAg2003
AG
Agreed. The Pocono Mountain area is one of my favorite places to visit. Driving through rural PA is gorgeous.
80s Guy
PatAg said:

I put the over/under at number of Penn State fans you personally know at 0.

You'd be off by three.
agsalaska
AG
My tarp is a huge Baylor fan. I used it for the puppies to pee on and it like it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.