Is This a Scam?

3,769 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CDub06
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Forgive the post. Normally if something doesn't feel right, I won't do it. But I'm somewhat desperate here.

Found this guy on craigslist. The number is a Google Voice number.

Y'all think I'm being paranoid or is this just a straight up scam?

UnderoosAg
AG
Walks like a duck...
BostonAg74
Quote:

Found this guy on craigslist.
Unemployed
AG
Are these tickets to Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival?
Rutedown
I'd pass. I'm sure he/she is ALWAYS unable to meet.
FIDO*98*
AG
I wouldn't touch that at all
Ag81Golf
If he has a toolbox for sale you should meet him in person.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Send me your bank account number and routing number along with your social security number, and I will verify that this transaction is on the up and up
Claude!
Danger, Will Robinson.
Hi, Im Brett
AG
Have him send first?
CDub06
AG
Yeah, that's what I thought. Not touching this.

It's for tickets to the Gonzaga basketball game. Booked a quick trip just for the game a while back. Was certain I'd just buy some tickets by the time the season rolled around. Didn't realize how stingy Gonzaga was with their tickets.

They didn't send us an allotment of visitor tickets. Season Ticket holders and students hold 100% of the tickets. Season ticket holders are prohibited from reselling tickets through the typical channels. It's insane.
WES2006AG
AG
Don't use Zelle with people you don't know. That is what PayPal is for.

This is almost certainly a scam.
Unemployed
AG
CDub06 said:

It's for tickets to the Gonzaga basketball game. Booked a quick trip just for the game a while back. Was certain I'd just buy some tickets by the time the season rolled around. Didn't realize how stingy Gonzaga was with their tickets.

They didn't send us an allotment of visitor tickets. Season Ticket holders and students hold 100% of the tickets. Season ticket holders are prohibited from reselling tickets through the typical channels. It's insane.
Don't compound your initial bad decision to attend an Aggie basketball game with another one. I would pass on this transaction.
Tobias Funke
AG
CDub06 said:

Wow, that's super lame. Good luck!
CharlieBrown17
AG
Especially considering all that, I wouldn't touch it.

I bet he knows how hard up visiting fans are for tickets. You probably aren't the first one to have an issue like that b
CDub06
AG
Thanks for the feedback! Looks like I'll be watching from a sports bar in Spokane
Martin Q. Blank
Offer to pay once you get into the event.
MooreTrucker
AG
IIRC, if he puts them on Stubhub, Stubhub handles all the monetary transaction, right? No need to Zelle.
boy09
AG
WES2006AG said:

Don't use Zelle with people you don't know. That is what PayPal is for.

This is almost certainly a scam.
And it should be obvious, but don't use the "Friends & Family" option on PayPal to avoid fees either. Not much they can do for you if you get burned.
The Collective
AG
MooreTrucker said:

IIRC, if he puts them on Stubhub, Stubhub handles all the monetary transaction, right? No need to Zelle.

No Gonzaga tickets on stubhub. It's pretty remarkable.
LupinusTexensis
One of my nice coworkers just got screwed over on a deal like this. Just because you wouldn't do it to someone doesn't mean there isn't a POS out there willing to be a dick.
JAG03
AG
No scam. Your good to go.
CDub06
AG
There's a long waiting list for season tickets. If you get caught selling yours, you can forfeit your seats. It's effective.

But IT SUCKS for visiting fans. Never seen anything like it.

You can join the Bulldog Club for $250/year to get a chance at buying and single game tickets that become available. Typically these are student seats that aren't claimed during the holidays.
WES2006AG
AG
That policy is crazy, but clearly they are very successful at keeping other teams fans out of the gym.
Liquid Wrench
Look man, I wouldn't normally do this, but you seem like a cool dude and I wanna help you out.

My cousin's buddy works concessions at their arena. For 50 bucks a head, he can let you in through a loading door. After you wire me the money, I'll tell which door to go to and you just have to knock and yell "Extra wieners here! Wieners and buns!" so he knows it's you.
Ag 11
AG
Never even heard of zelle
The Dog Lord
AG
Use this approach to see if it's legit or not.

The Fife
If you have to ask, it's a scam. It's also probably a scam if you don't have to ask.
Drawkcab
Send half now and the other 25% upon receipt of the tickets. Screw him on the other 25%.

(Don't mention that last part to him.)
Tobias Funke
AG
This is the first time Texags has benefitted my life positively. Not 24 hours after reading this thread, I had the exact same scenario come up whilst looking for Bulls tickets on Craigslist. But I did not fall for it. Nope, not me. Texags taught me better
CDub06
AG
Since this thread got bumped, I'll add that I found tickets from an honest person. She was super concerned about the AD finding out and taking her season tickets even though she gave me a good deal. Such a crazy policy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.