Women suffer from gender pay gap AND a stock options gap.

3,607 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe there needs to be a law to add a "woman credit" to their compensation. This would add a certain percentage to their salary, and to their other benefits.
Women have been subjugated for centuries and we men have to take steps to equalize the playing field for them.
Another thing is "motherhood credits". A new mother should get paid a certain percentage as a raise or bonus because of her sacrifice in giving birth to the next generation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/09/19/women-dont-just-face-gender-pay-gap-they-also-suffer-an-equity-pay-gap/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.dad8321cfa8d
Women don't just face a gender pay gap. They also suffer from a stock options gap.
Quote:

By Brian Fung
September 19 at 11:27 AM
Data from the U.S. Census Bureau has consistently shown that men out-earn women when it comes to salaries. But new research suggests the gender pay gap extends beyond traditional forms of compensation to include a practice common among start-ups, particularly in the tech industry: The offer of stock options, or equity.
For every $1 in company equity held by men, women hold 47 cents, according to a study released this week by Carta, a Silicon Valley firm that helps start-ups manage their equity shares. The study finds that women tend to be disadvantaged in the amount of equity they hold at almost every stage of a new start-up's life.
Equity can be the deciding factor in a worker's financial fortunes. Many start-ups lack the cash to lure new employees with premium salaries, so they offer ownership shares in the company instead. If the company is successful, those shares rise in value, and employees can cash out to the tune of millions in some cases.
But the imbalance Carta found in an analysis of roughly 180,000 workers and entrepreneurs across 6,000 companies suggests women are being left behind as men reap the rewards of equity.
Despite accounting for 35 percent of the equity-holding population in Carta's study, women held a small share, 20 percent, of the total value of equity across the various firms.
Meanwhile, the stock compensation picture is even bleaker for female start-up founders. On average, the study found that male founders each hold nearly $2.2 million worth of company equity, compared with about $858,000 for each woman.
Male founders significantly outnumbered female founders in Carta's study, by a ratio of more than 6 to 1. Overall, women tend to join start-up companies at much later stages of a firm's life, compared with men. Those trends set women even further back, according to the report, because equity packages are typically more favorable to earlier hires.
The result not only skews the amount of money women can hope to earn in equity but can also have an impact on the direction of the tech ecosystem, according to #Angels, a group of female investors who have worked at companies such as Google, Twitter, Yahoo and Netflix.
"The major shareholders of successful start-ups get the privilege of building institutions that define the next generation of the industry," #Angels wrote in a blog post in February. "And as technology has an increasingly global footprint, this influence shapes the entire world."

Slicer97
AG
and we suffer from your posting habits....
City Dumme
Maybe they should try starting more companies instead of wasting so much time having periods.
SeattleAgJr
maybe women should reconsider their selfish decisions to take time off (in some cases years) to raise a family, then expect to be put back at equal footing with their peers.
quanah
City Dumme said:

Maybe they should try starting more companies instead of wasting so much time having periods.

They should start a company that sells a box of tampons with a box of chocolates and a box of wine for when women have periods in their boxes.
agnerd
AG
Quote:

Overall, women tend to join start-up companies at much later stages of a firm's life, compared with men.
So women are more risk-averse and reap lower rewards for their lower level of risk tolerance? Yeah, that's the way it's supposed to work.
62strat
AG
BombayAg said:

Quote:

For every $1 in company equity held by men, women hold 47 cents, according to a study released this week by Carta,

Also found in the study is that for every man in a position with equity, there are .47 women in a position with equity.
South Platte
PrincessButtercup
AG
There is no pay gap when you actually conduct a logical study comparing apples to apples. Fify protected.
chiken
AG
The gap for women is real.

B-1 83
AG
What about that age gap! A 50 year old makes more than 3X what a 25 year old makes! Discrimination, I tell you!
McCoveysCove
they earn it. Women are excellent workers and communicators, i believe women make less because of their choice to be mothers, meaning if your not at work 8-5 Monday thru friday and a male is why would they make as much? I also think when women devote more time to work that the work environment is a better place and the best employees will be noticed and make more money
swc93
AG
RagTime.com
Stat Monitor Repairman
My personal experience has been that women are only pleasant to look at or be around in a professional environment about 10% of the time; and only after they've slurped about half a margarita.

Some would say that the inefficiencies and personal problems created by a small sub-set of women workers actually cost an employer more over the long term.

Seriously, if you are already worried about your health insurance risk pool (thanks obama) ... is hiring a woman with ovaries going red-alert really a good idea?

You know good and well whos gonna pick up the slack when these high-value workers go on extended maternity leave.

Why bother ...
SeattleAgJr
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

My personal experience has been that women are only pleasant to look at or be around in a professional environment about 10% of the time; and only after they've slurped about half a margarita.

Some would say that the inefficiencies and personal problems created by a small sub-set of women workers actually cost an employer more over the long term.

Seriously, if you are already worried about your health insurance risk pool (thanks obama) ... is hiring a woman with ovaries going red-alert really a good idea?

You know good and well whos gonna pick up the slack when these high-value workers go on extended maternity leave.

Why bother ...
Wow.

I have had many. many problems with women over the years, as both co-workers and as subordinates.

But I have had significantly more problems with men in that same period.

But that said, given two equal candidates, I will almost always pick the man vs. woman.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I used that same logic. I considered those factors that you cited. Yeah, I've had problems with male co-workers and employees, but I was never ... ever ... worried that some work bs was gonna get my ass accused of a sex assault.

Y'all think about that.

We have unfortunately reached a point where its simply too risky to be around some women because they can and will wreck your ass and not look back, at any time, for any reason.

Thats a lot of power to hold over a mans head.
SeattleAgJr

I used that same logic. I considered those factors that you cited. Yeah, I've had problems with male co-workers and employees, but I was never ... ever ... worried that some work bs was gonna get my ass accused of a sex assault.

Y'all think about that.

We have unfortunately reached a point where its simply too risky to be around some women because they can and will wreck your ass and not look back, at any time, for any reason.

Thats a lot of power to hold over a mans head.
true.

around 10-15 years ago, many/most of the Big 4 accounting firms did significant remodels of offices so that offices had glass walls so you could see what was going on inside of them.

because of Big 4 Hanky Panky.

But yes, a few despicable women can ruin **** for everyone very quickly.
Bayside Tiger Ag
SeattleAgJr said:

Why bother ...
Wow.

I have had many. many problems with women over the years, as both co-workers and as subordinates.

But that said, given two equal candidates, I will almost always pick the man vs. woman.

Depends on industry, too.

In my time working, I have only had 1 female boss that was awesome to work with. All the others were awful.
In that same time, while I had more men as bosses, they were all easier to work with than said women, with the exception of that 1 female boss.

Working with men is just easier in most cases, I think.
Petrino1
Almost every female coworker, relative, acquaintance etc has told me they'd rather work with/for men than women.
Ag 11
AG
I like the thigh gap
Seriously77

BombayAg
SeattleAgJr said:

Why bother ...
Wow.

My top 3 worst managers have all been women. The No 1 b&$^&%ch I worked for was pure evil. She interviewed me and would constantly cut me off. Since she was not the hiring manager, I didn't care. My hiring manager (male) was nice, so I ended up taking the job. Then my hiring manager left because we got bought. And one manager later, I got assigned to this crazy BSC woman. No one wanted to work for her - one managed to get moved to a different team and another one left the company. This daughter of Satan did not assign me any work so I had to find things to do to be productive and help out. She would not show up to work (working from home) and would not reply to any emails either. Then she decides that I did not perform to her expectations (after 2 months of being my manager) and then puts me on PIP. I had to go to India for a month for a wedding and by the time I came back, I got news that she was leaving. She was job searching all this time. Then I got assigned to another loser (male) who would constantly flirt with Satan's daughter and try to get into her pants though he was married. He was an a-hole with terrible social skills (unusual for a white dude). One day he calls me to his office and asks me "what's the drama about you applying for unemployment??". I told him I was right in front of you, what on earth was he talking about? Then he said HR told him I applied for unemployment. A month later he ended up firing me based on that nonsensical PIP that Satan's daughter put in for me.

Thank God I was out of that place. Toxic hell hole. I'm in a much better place now.

Most female managers tend to be micro managers and then get BSC when men don't like being treated like a poodle, nagged or being micro-managed. The beach should rot in hell.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I've been in the workforce since 1992 and it's been the same song and dance.

A recurring pattern of the most simple business functions turning into an excruciating battle of politics and tip-toeing around the delicate Puritan sensibilities of co-workers.

The thought of how many hours of productivity and efficiency lost over the decades due to how people feel as opposed to getting the job done correctly and in the most efficient manner.

Best example I can come up with is like trying to pull a trailer with a flat-tire up a hill.

Can you do it? yeah.

.... but you but all you burn all your energy on an unnecessary and wasted effort.

About 90% of dudes I've ever worked with were concerned with one thing ... getting the job done fast and right so we could all go the **** home.

So ... have I worked harder than necessary over the course of my career for absolutely no legitimate reason?

Yep. Sad to think about really. A tremendous amount of wasted time and energy. Makes me sick to think about.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.