Things I learned on my summer vacation

4,069 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 62strat
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't go on a cruise to Alaska. You spend way to much time trying to get there, wherever there is. Food was good, but there just isn't enough to do besides drink. Not my thing. That being said, the boat was an introduction to Alaska, and you can't see Glacier Bay unless you're on that cruise ship I just warned you about.

Nothing can prepare you for the vastness that is Alaska. You think Texas is big? Once you get inside the Alaskan Range, if you're like me, you will be awestruck by what you see.

Fish more in Ketchikan. We caught 6 coho, 1 king, & 1 pink in 3 hours. Had a great guide who got on the fish within 5 minutes of putting lines in the water. This was close into shore ocean fishing, before they start running up to spawn. We shipped home about 60 lbs of fish that will arrive on Tuesday.

Weed is legal. There are stores in every city, and conveniently right in the neighborhood of shops when you get off the cruise ship. Edibles, pre-rolls, loose. Indica or sativa. THC content displayed just like ABV is on the beers in your favorite brew pub.

Food is good, as long as you like steak, fish, and crab legs. Vegetables are optional.

Denali National Park is incredible. If you are a camera person, a 75-300 lens is not nearly powerful enough to capture what you see through your binoculars. You (and I) will need a 600 or better, if you want to shoot proper photos.

My inventory of wildlife seen included 6 grizzly bears, 3 wolves, 4 foxes, 8 moose, hundreds of caribou, a pergrine falcon, 2 gryfalcons, more golden and bald eagles and giant damned hares than I can count, a couple dozen orcas, and 4 humpback whales.

Play golf at midnight. It's fun, and it's a goat track. There is a boat on the right side of the fairway on #7. ON THE FAIRWAY, not next to the course. Hit a high draw over the boat to a sucker pin behind the 40' tall spruce tree and you'll be fine.

Hike more. Take the green & white bus into Denali past the 15 mile marker, and go walk. When you get tired, go back to the road and flag down the next bus. Beware, this is bear territory. If you see one close enough to get a good picture of it with your phone, don't. Make noise, don't run. (I did not see a bear up close, but I was lectured about this for a week).

The locals are nice. Talk to them. They will help you find fishing guides, the good restaurants, hotels that aren't crappy, and anything else you might need.

If you got this far and read all the words, thanks. A few pictures for your trouble -

BenFiasco14
AG
Cool pics and story.

Now post tits
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
UndergroundAg
Ok.........travel board is that way....
TexasAggiesWin
S
hbc07
AG
burrito post.
nonameag99
We landed in anchorage today from Houston. I am so happy to get out of the heat for a week.

Staying in alyeska for two days then heading north to Denali, Fairbanks, and the arctic circle

Taking this glacier cruise tomorrow. Can't wait

https://www.phillipscruises.com
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
wbt5845
AG
Went there when we lived in Seattle. It's great in the summer.

Speaking of salmon - I actually got tired of it in Seattle. You can go down to any of the numerous docks in the Sound and catch many pounds so easily - ti's so good if you can catch them before they hit the fresh water - bring it home and throw it on the smoker.
bmc13
AG
nice trip!
Philo B 93
Wait... Alaska is real? I thought it was mythological. What about Eskimos?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Paging whoever has the sock The Attention You Desire
zephyr88
AG
Let me get thus right -

Alaska = weed, golf, steak, fish, and crab legs...

I'm in.
I Play With Guns
S
Junkhead said:

LOLZ
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Amazing pics
Goose
AG
I'd do an Alaskan cruise again in a heartbeat.
Ragoo
AG
Goose said:

I'd do an Alaskan cruise again in a heartbeat.
agreed. Especially leaving out of Vancouver.
The Attention You Desire
Hi Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Know Your Enemy
coyote68
Did you ride your motorcycle?
labmansid
Thanks for the story and pics.

Alaska is an amazing place. Cruises do serve a purpose, but are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to experiencing Alaska, and don't do it justice. A few years ago, we started with a cruise, but then stayed a couple of extra weeks to explore on our own. So glad we did.

I have a friend who is planning on retiring after the first of the year, and next summer they are driving through Alaska for several weeks. Wish I could go along.
Ag81Golf
Still waiting on the picture of the pink from Ketchikan. If it was a slumpbuster then forget it.
Smithjg
A few years ago, we took the inside passage cruise on Princess Sapphire, then took the bubble top train further inland to Denali area. The cruise was great, but the train trip was incredible, I HIGHLY recommend doing the Princess Cruise/tour this way. Incidentally, we met Coach Billy Kennedy in Talketna one of the days....
labmansid
Smithjg said:

A few years ago, we took the inside passage cruise on Princess Sapphire, then took the bubble top train further inland to Denali area. The cruise was great, but the train trip was incredible, I HIGHLY recommend doing the Princess Cruise/tour this way. Incidentally, we met Coach Billy Kennedy in Talketna one of the days....
We did something similar. Our cruise ended at Seward. After scoping out the Seward area for a day or two, we took the Alaska Railway from there to Anchorage. Very relaxing. At one point, watching from our car further back on the train, I watched a moose run up alongside the train and jump the track in front of the engine! It was pretty close, and several of us thought for sure we hit the moose, but the conductor announced over the PA that the moose made it and was fine. Still not sure about that one.
Athanasius
AG
Great post, OP.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Junkhead said:

I guess you never go anywhere for fun and then share your travel experiences with other people.

You are a sad person, Junkhead. I feel sorry for you.

John Francis Donaghy
I enjoyed my Alaskan cruise, but I agree it's no more than an introduction to the area.

I'm glad I went on the cruise because I have a much better idea of what I want to do when I have the time to really do Alaska right.

Disagree about all there being to do in transit is drink. I had a private balcony, and loved just watching the beautiful landscapes go by while we were in transit. Although, to be fair I was also sometimes drinking while doing so. The private balcony is an absolute must for an Alaskan cruise. Half or more of the value in the trip is in the views along the way. There's almost no point in going at all if you have an interior room.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I do lots of fun things that I share with my friends. What's sad is needing to come to TexAgs for validation.
matthewj042
AG
My favorite place on the planet!
matthewj042@gmail.com
62strat
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

I enjoyed my Alaskan cruise, but I agree it's no more than an introduction to the area.

I'm glad I went on the cruise because I have a much better idea of what I want to do when I have the time to really do Alaska right.

Disagree about all there being to do in transit is drink. I had a private balcony, and loved just watching the beautiful landscapes go by while we were in transit. Although, to be fair I was also sometimes drinking while doing so. The private balcony is an absolute must for an Alaskan cruise. Half or more of the value in the trip is in the views along the way. There's almost no point in going at all if you have an interior room.
We had 3 consecutive private balconies when we went (with removable dividers so you can combine), including a corner on the stern of the ship, giving us a 270 degree view. We spent a whole lot of time out there gazing, drinking plenty of Alaskan brewing beers we picked up on our first stop. To say the cruise sucked is far from the truth in my experience.

Would do again, but next time I'd do a one way and tack on 5-6 days to explore more inland/denali.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.