Calling KidDoc and parents

3,665 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by pinkdog
pinkdog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know I am setting myself up for jokes so I get it. But I do have a question on potty training if anyone wants to offer advice. My son is 3 years old and 4 months. About six months ago we started potty training and he picked up on it very well and goes in the potty every time for number one. Just wears a diaper at night. He will not poop in the potty. He will have a poop accident nearly every day and we will tell him poo poo goes in the potty and he will say that himself. I will make him sit on the potty after an accident to see if he will go anymore and to drill it into his head that you need to sit for a few minutes. It is very hard to pick up on when he needs to go as he does not really show outward signs that I can tell. Okay, I brace myself for responses.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Next time he has a poop accident, you should spank him with a newspaper and rub his nose in it
Blanco Jimenez
AG
I'm probably a terrible dad but I bribed my 3 year old by giving him toy monster trucks every time he was successful. It worked for us. I think we have most of the hot wheels monster trucks now but I don't have to change crappy diapers.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I JUST went through this with son 2. It was brutal. He is 3 years and 3 months. The only thing that I finally found that worked is that he would sit on the potty and go when his big bro would sit in there and read to him. We started PT spring break and it was mid June before he went poop on the potty. Pull ups messed up him up with peeing too so I had to clean up real undies and finally just started throwing them away. TLDR: it just takes time and they will get there eventually. Every kid is different.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Oh yes and we did the toys! He had a basket of dollar store toys behind the potty. When he pooped he got a toy. Totally forgot about that.
Red Rover
AG
We've had 3 kids and each were different potty training. We were repeatedly told just make sure you aren't shaming them, since a lot of it is lack of confidence or inability to know when it's time to go.

We used Daniel tiger's potty song and potty books for the first boy when he had troubles.

Also the "naked weekend" thing works well if you don't have carpet. They get an immediate negative response when they have an accident without you being a part of the negative.

Other than that all I can say is have patience. Just when you think you can't handle any more it seems to change.
bearamedic99
AG
We bribed our boy with M&Ms and jelly beans instead of toys. good luck
Red Rover
AG
Blanco Jimenez said:

I'm probably a terrible dad but I bribed my 3 year old by giving him toy monster trucks every time he was successful. It worked for us. I think we have most of the hot wheels monster trucks now but I don't have to change crappy diapers.

Ahh yes, we bribed to. They got to pick a treat from a little jar with the small herseys kisses, butterscotch, and other very small candies. That helped motivate also.
Sweet Clementine
AG
We are having this same problem. Apparently pooping in the potty is hard.
Win At Life
AG
Give him a cup and two girls.
Ginormus Ag
AG
I'm potty trained. It really makes you think.
GinaLinetti
AG
Boys hate ****ting in the toilet. Its totally normal. Bribe him with something he loves and with hold any other time. He will get it. I get 4 yo that still **** their pants
Tanya 93
Make sure there isn't an allergy issue.

We couldn't train our son until we figured out his gluten issue.
Arthur Stilwell
Sweet Clementine said:

Over a damn billion Indians think it's pretty hard.

Cut your kid some slack.
ConroeAg
For our second boy we tried seemingly everything and there was no obvious rhyme or reason as to why it wasn't working. It finally just "clicked" one day, and I really think a big part of it was that he had finally DECIDED he wanted to do it.

I know that's not helpful, but I do think the individual child's "want to" plays a large role.
Dark Helmet
This thread would have been much more amusing if it had been posted on the Politics board. Probably would have been three responses before people starting telling OP to strike their child.

I am disappointed in the quality of this thread. So I guess I'll save it.

OP, you need to spank your kid whenever they don't poop the way you want. You control their butt and defecation, not them. Also, withhold food. No food, no poop. Until they come to you and clearly state you are in command of their colon, they don't get to produce feces.

People in India have to poop in the street, tell them how pooping in a toilet is a privilege and not a right and they have to earn it with good behavior.
Shoefly!
AG
Maybe he is a visual learner. Next time you need to drop trou carry him into the restroom set him down facing you. You drop your drawers, sit on the pot, pull up your junk and tell him watch this I'm gonna drop a duece-deuce or better yet make thunder. It works. Monkey see, Monkey doo-doo.
Liquid Wrench
Don't feel bad, I went through this myself a few years ago. Turns out I was drinking too much vodka during the day.
Bayside Tiger Ag
crosswalk said:

Sweet Clementine said:

Over a damn billion Indians think it's pretty hard.

Cut your kid some slack.

Paging Bombay
Arthur Stilwell
ChiliBeans said:

Don't feel bad, I went through this myself a few years ago. Turns out I was drinking too much vodka during the day.
So you started to drink vodka only at night?
pinkdog
Shoefly! said:

pull up your junk

Men are gross.
Ragoo
AG
Probably about to start with our 21 month old twins.
Charpie
AG
No. Wait until they are two.

Girls are easier to train than boys.

We tried when she turned two. Yeah she wasn't ready. When she was two and a half, she was ready. It literally took a week. We got her stupid Dora doll to sit on the pot while the kid was in the tub playing in the bath. She watched Dora sitting there and then we said, "Yay! You pooped Dora! Lets eat some cake and have a party!" The next night, Crayola says "I wanna party like Dora!" I told her she had to poop on the potty. She walked into the bathroom and pooped. Viola, she was potty trained

Do whatever you have to do. There is no shame in it. There is SHAME when they are a 4 year old and you are being summoned to your kids daycare to change their nasty ass diaper.
Ragoo
AG
They are both very vocal about their potty already.
Post removed:
by user
histag10
AG
My child, who is the same age, refuses to go in the potty over 50% of the time. So you are doing better than us.

We have tried everything, and just have come to the resolve that our kid will be in pull ups forever.
NWE
AG
My parents made me eat the poop of my accidents and it made me into the string man I am today.

Parents these days are just snowflakes.
histag10
AG
NWE said:

My parents made me eat the poop of my accidents and it made me into the string man I am today.

Parents these days are just snowflakes.

I'm guessing this is a product of a parasite or worm you got from eating your own ****
NWE
AG
*STRONG!
Zip 88
Remember, that's probably the same kid that's going to have to clean up after your incontinence before he finally puts you in a home.
Liquid Wrench
I was reading about the paleo diet for toddlers, and it occurred to me: Did cavemen have toilets?
KidDoc
AG
Sorry for the actual answers, I know GB usually is for silliness.

This is a common issue I hear it almost daily. The key thing is to not mess your kid up with punishment and negative reinforcement. That can result in a long life of bowel dysfunction that is not fun for anyone.

This website guidelines from Dr Knapp is a bit long and exhaustive but it is the most proven ideas for this age & issues.

http://www.rogerknapp.com/medical/pottytrainingrefusals.htm

Here is the section on potty phobia:
Toilet avoidance or phobia

The child with toilet avoidance won't sit on the toilet. Usually, she refuses to do so without explanation. Occasionally she claims she is afraid to sit on the toilet. The main causes of toilet phobia are passing painful bowel movements, receiving a painful enema or suppository, or being punished while on the toilet. The child rarely fears the toilet itself but rather what might happen again in the bathroom. Children who have not had any painful past experiences on the toilet usually have a severe form of toilet training resistance in which they have taken an irrevocable stand about using the toilet. Until this barrier is overcome, toilet training cannot proceed.
The parent needs to reestablish a pleasant feeling in the child about the toilet or potty chair. Specific interventions for toilet phobias begin with using stool softeners to make bowel movements soft and pain free. Then the child can be reassured that bowel movements will "feel good" when they come out. The parent can desensitize the child to the toilet in the following six steps, giving a sweet or other small treat when the child passes each milestone:

• child empties diaper contents into toilet

• child passes a bowel movement into diaper while in bathroom

• child passes a bowel movement into diaper while sitting on toilet with lid down

• child does the same with lid up

• child passes a bowel movement through a "magic diaper" (a diaper with a hole cut in it) into the toilet

• child passes bowel movements into the toilet without the "magic diaper."

• For more about the "magic diaper" technique, see the discussion by Blum. The method also can be used for urine. Its success probably owes more to providing a face saving exit from a bad habit than desensitizing the child to a fear.

Good luck!
    No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
    Martin Q. Blank
    He may be uncomfortable. Squat pooping is healthier. Let him go on the front lawn.

Liquid Wrench
    That's right; cavemen did have to squat.
    Geralt of Rivia
    S
    That is pretty much what I said
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.