Living in Texas

6,674 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Canyon99
BadAttitude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you had the option to live in any city in Texas with a population of 30-40,000, what would be your choice?
ac04
no thanks
The Fife
Not sure there are too many of those left. Austin/SA/Houston/Dallas I thought barfed all over them so they're pretty much gone.
Stockholm Syndrome
AG
Welp I'm in Lufkin so I guess I'll just go with that. Worse places to be than a forest.
NWE
AG
I have family there.
JMac03
AG
Well I grew up in the Nederland/Port Neches area so there is always that. But I like BCS just fine. Not sure I would want to go back that small again. (Although where I pointed out it's a bunch of cities together so it doesn't feel that small).
Ragoo
AG
Back to new braunfels but the population is easily 3x OPs range.
Ragoo
AG
Does McQueeney count?
TXAG 05
AG
Ragoo said:

Does McQueeney count?

Too small for the OP, only like 2K people. Maybe Seguin, but don't know how big they are now. Plus it's Seguin
PoohAh97
AG
Ragoo said:

Does McQueeney count?
That's just sexing up West Seguin
Ragoo
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Ragoo said:

Does McQueeney count?

Too small for the OP, only like 2K people. Maybe Seguin, but don't know how big they are now. Plus it's Seguin
i was thinking general proximity to higher density population. And let's be honest only the lake matters.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
Alpine/Marfa
BenFiasco14
AG
With not having to commute anywhere?

Johnson city or Fredericksburg
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Positraction
AG
Wife and I like Midlothian. Only 26,000, so a little smaller than your range. Close enough to Dallas or Fort Worth (about 35 minutes to each) so we can go enjoy the cities (restaurants, concerts) but has a great small town feel. Traffic isn't bad between Mansfield, Waxahachie and Cedar Hill so we can get what we want. Good schools (just built second high school) and located for easy travel north, east, south or west for my job.
LEJ
It's larger than 40k, but my answer is San Angelo
Potcake
AG
Username fits
Stockholm Syndrome
AG
Potcake said:

Username fits
OregonAggie
AG
Stockholm Syndrome said:

Welp I'm in Lufkin so I guess I'll just go with that. Worse places to be than a forest.

I went there for work quite a bit and dated a few girls there. I actually like Lufkin/Nac quite a bit.
Spore Ag
Rural Texas everything seems to bite, sting, burn, *****,or itch you but do not think I would have it any other way. Why?
The Fife
Ragoo said:

Back to new braunfels but the population is easily 3x OPs range.
New Braunfels around 1990 was nice. Short lines at Schlitterbahn and free admission if you knew somebody who worked there too.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Fredericksburg is about 10,000 residents, but probably close to 30,000 on the weekends.
murphyag
AG
This thread is of interest as I'm already starting to research areas of Texas for retirement. The size town OP asks about is the type of town I'm looking at for retirement living.

What do you guys think of the Palestine area? Or Abilene area and surrounding smaller towns? Or Sherman/Denison (near Lake Texoma)?

I'm leaning toward somewhere in or near BCS or Tyler. What are your thoughts on Tyler and surrounding smaller towns?

Looking for decent shopping, easy access to hospitals for old folk issues that arise, college or university nearby for continuing ed classes, sporting events, etc.
Ragoo
AG
Look at wimberly
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Tatem
I don't live in Texas any more
Bodhi
AG
None
OregonAggie
AG
murphyag said:

This thread is of interest as I'm already starting to research areas of Texas for retirement. The size town OP asks about is the type of town I'm looking at for retirement living.

What do you guys think of the Palestine area? Or Abilene area and surrounding smaller towns? Or Sherman/Denison (near Lake Texoma)?

I'm leaning toward somewhere in or near BCS or Tyler. What are your thoughts on Tyler and surrounding smaller towns?

Looking for decent shopping, easy access to hospitals for old folk issues that arise, college or university nearby for continuing ed classes, sporting events, etc.

Dripping Springs/Wimberly probably meets your requirements. Close enough to Austin for healthcare and small towns, although they're both growing. Dripping especially.

Bulverde/Spring Branch is kinda cool too. Close enough to SA but you'd live in a smaller town.

I worked in East Texas for a few years and the Tyler area is nice. Henderson is a nice little town that's 25 min from Tyler. Tyler has everything you need short of sporting events. Nacogdoches isn't too far from Henderson and you could definitely see some college sports events there.

Palestine is kinda run down to me. Jacksonville wouldn't be as bad since it's closer to tyler.

As I previously said in this thread, I really like the Lufkin/Nac area although shopping options aren't plentiful there.
brew82
San Marcos, close to Austin and San Antonio, yet still has a fairly small town feel when Texas State is out for the summer and during holiday breaks.
Burdizzo
AG
Ragoo said:

Look at wimberly

I grew up with kids from Wimberley in the 1980s. Most of them hate what Wimberley has become.

Irony is that most of those families moved there from Houston in the 1970s. Before that it was just a village of cedar choppers.
Ragoo
AG
Cedar chopper, now that is a term I haven't heard in 20 years.
3rd Platoon
AG
Kerrville
BoomGoesThe
3rd Platoon said:

Kerrville

I agree.
sellthefarm
AG
Nacogdoches, duh.
TXAG 05
AG
Burdizzo said:

Ragoo said:

Look at wimberly

I grew up with kids from Wimberley in the 1980s. Most of them hate what Wimberley has become.

Irony is that most of those families moved there from Houston in the 1970s. Before that it was just a village of cedar choppers.

I'm from NB and that's how I feel. Hardly recognize the place anymore when I go back.
Macarthur
With this being posted the week were virtually everywhere is above 100, I"m thinking New Mexico.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.