How old were you when you moved out from parents house ?

4,902 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JABQ04
aggie_fan13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did you miss home or not ?
NurseC
AG
Moved to CS 5 months after turning 17, and no not really. Just missed having someone do all of my laundry and cook for me. Home is austin so it wasn't THAT far. I wasn't home sick and stayed busy with school and social events, like drinking and partaking in the devil's lettuce.
BenFiasco14
AG

I went to Texas A&M University!

And I'm a straight, white male who also happens to be Christian, so that means I'm really really smart!

I missed my parents a lot my freshman year looking back, but you learn how to deal with it. You aren't a kid anymore.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Doug Ross
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
John Francis Donaghy
18, and no, not really. Parents moved 2 weeks after I left for college. I never really saw that house again.
HollywoodBQ
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

I went to Texas A&M University!

And I'm a straight, white male who also happens to be Christian, so that means I'm really really smart!

I missed my parents a lot my freshman year looking back, but you learn how to deal with it. You aren't a kid anymore.

I didn't miss my parents at all but I did H8 being a fish in the Corps of Cadets
Woody2006
AG
I was 19 when I graduated high school and in July that year I went to basic training at the Air Force Academy in Colorado. I wasn't allowed to use a phone for 6 weeks. I had no access to the internet. The only way I could communicate with anyone at home was with snail mail letters.

I treasured those letters when they came in. I missed every part of my life back home: my friends, my family, a girl I was really into. I still remember the rush I felt on days when I had a letter delivered to me.

It's very weird going from living in a home with your mom and dad to going into an incredibly high-stress situation with no way to speak with them. You go from 18 years of sharing your day pretty much every day to no communication at all.
KidDoc
AG
18. Same as both my kids. Missed family a bit but was not homesick.

I went to A&M and kids did as well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
At 16 I went to SMU on a math scholarship and there was a fair amount of adjusting. Switched major to physics and landed at A&M at 17. Living off campus at A&M sucked due to the buses and parking a mile away etc... Dorms are so much easier, lame some say but saved me at least an hour per school day.
BadAttitude
I left home at 18 and never looked back.

Once I was out and on my own,home became wherever I lived.
My parent's home was a place to visit but it never felt like home to me again.

It was kind of sad to see a place where you spent most of your life lose that priority.
Tanya 93
abileneag09
AG
Either 18 going to college or 19 the next year. I went home for the summer after freshman year, but haven't spent more than a week at home since then.
Kenneth_2003
AG
18 when I left for TAMU. Though I did come back during summers because I had jobs and an internship lined up in Houston. I also spent one semester out of TAMU working. After school I moved to South Tx for work until Jan 17 when my position was eliminated. In August of that year I moved back in with the folks for about 7 months after taking a job in Tomball. It was jsut easier to make the 30min commute from thier house until I sold my house down South. I also spent roughly 50% of that time in the field. Bought a house in Spring about 3 months ago.
The Fife
18 like everyone else here.

I miss home, in that I miss the hill country. It's ok here but even after 7 years it definitely doesn't feel like home.
Swarely
Ill let you know. Gotta run. Mommy is making chocolate chip pancakes and says I have to clean my room before I get any!
Tanya 93
Swarely said:

Ill let you know. Gotta run. Mommy is making chocolate chip pancakes and says I have to clean my room before I get any!

WTH Benny? When did you get on Texags? Did Dad teach you?

You haven't cleaned your room nor bathroom?
No bacon with the pancakes.
aglaohfour
AG
I was 18 when my parents dropped me off in College Station. I never lived in their home again after that. I grew up in Waco and I sure as hell never missed it. I see my parents all the time though, so I might feel differently if they never visited.
JMac03
AG
I must have been 20. My parents made us stay at home for the first 2 years and get our basics done at Lamar University. I finished mine in 1.5 years so I transferred to TAMU in the Spring of '01. No I didn't really miss home by then. And I'm pretty thankful for what my parents did, not only did it save them a ton of money, I also matured a lot during that time. College is so different from high school, so it at least forced some things to be the same.
Ragoo
AG
The Fife said:

I miss home, in that I miss the hill country. It's ok here but even after 7 years it definitely doesn't feel like home.
i agree

Every time I go home I make sure to go for a run around town and usually try and get an early morning swim in the comal.

But really, I miss playing Landa Park golf course whenever I want.
gigemags-99
AG
18, but I did stay with them a couple of summers when I wasn't taking summer classes at A&M.
Pirate04
AG
19, when I transferred from KC to A&M. Moved back in with them in 2011 at 25 and finally left for good in 2014 at 27. Probably the lowest 2.5 years of my life was living with them.
Seven Costanza
AG
I think a better question would be "when were you completely financially independent of your parents?"
boboguitar
AG
18, stopped going home for summers after my sophomore year as well.
MemphisAg1
AG
17. Graduated HS and enlisted. Turned 18 in boot camp. By the time I came to A&M 4 years later, life was like a picnic compared to being at sea for months and putting up with the not-so-fun moments of military life.
ac04
17. yes.
The Fife
Ragoo said:

The Fife said:

i agree

Every time I go home I make sure to go for a run around town and usually try and get an early morning swim in the comal.

But really, I miss playing Landa Park golf course whenever I want.
Same thing with being able to ride over to Sewell Park or anywhere else along the river without it being completely overrun by the tens of thousands of people who moved there. I grew up near the Hays/Comal County line and a lot of the land we used to just go wander around on is now neighborhoods and crap like that.

I've done surprisingly well at getting hill country plants to grow here. We have a couple of 3' mountain laurels planted from seed that need to find a permanent home and every kind of cactus I've brought over grows like crazy. Same with the cedar elms.
aggie_fan13
AG
Yea I should've asked that instead
Ignatius_of_Silesia
40. My mom gets me and makes the best sandwiches. After she died and the social security checks stopped I had to get a job and life has sucked balls ever since.
Holly Golightly
AG
17 when i left for A & M and never lived with my parents again. They don't live in the town where I went to high school. They moved back to Maine while I was at A & M. So I never go back there. And although I haven't lived in Maine since I was 7, i go back every year and it feels like home the minute i cross the state line. Seriously consider moving there permanently every now and then
Ag with kids
AG
17 when I started at A&M.

Spent the summer after my fish year at my folks, but took 6 hrs of school at San Antonio College while there so it was like I was still in school.

My folks were in the process of moving out to their house at Medina Lake so I spent a good amount of time that way.

That was the last time I lived with them, though. I started co-oping the spring semester of my sophomore year (I had the required 60 hrs by then). I then either lived in the DFW area or A&M till I got out. I co-oped 6 semesters.

Never really missed it because most of my friends moved away from SA (hell, 50+ people from my class went to A&M). I'm an only kid, too, so I was used to making do on my own.
mm98
AG
Turned 18 a month after high school graduation. Moved to CS 2 months later. I came home the first summer because I did miss my folks and they had a new litter of 8 German Shepherd puppies so it was fun to help out raising them. I also had about 15 high school buds who came back and I guess my expectation was it was going to be a 3 month party with old friends...that really never materialized and I was happy to get back to CS.

Post removed:
by user
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
18 and then my parents moved my junior year summer so never saw the house after that previous Christmas. Lived at new house 3 mos between graduation and grad school at A&M.
The Wonderer
AG
Was gone from 18-26 (college, law school, first job that was out of state) and moved back to my mom's house when I came back from Kansas. Lived there for 4 years and then moved to Houston.
TyHolden
AG
12 when I left for A&M...

came back a week later when my older brother kicked me out of his apartment
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.