Terrible, no good, awful day.

3,534 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mwm
Poptartin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
medical types: how do you handle a patient death? what if said patient is less than 24 hours old.

rip little guy
aggiederelict
Drink. A lot.
BenFiasco14
AG
Sorry to hear. Not a medical type, but was with one for a long time. One who worked with kids too. I heard countless unfathomable stories. Best I can tell, over time, it gets easier to deal with.

But even to the most seasoned nurse or doctor, sometimes there's **** that makes even them break down.

If you need to cry, do it. Talk to your spouse, or a friend.

Pray.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Poptartin
I did everything I could for the family. We bathed the baby. His siblings were so great and everything about it was beautiful and tragic and heartbreaking. I have cried all day with the family, with co-workers and alone.

I'll never forget the little guy. He was SO sweet.

Thanks for letting me share. As a Mom/Baby nurse, we typically only have the healthy babes which is what makes this so hard.

ps. I'm about 5 beers in...
BenFiasco14
AG
Poptartin said:

I did everything I could for the family. We bathed the baby. His siblings were so great and everything about it was beautiful and tragic and heartbreaking. I have cried all day with the family, with co-workers and alone.

I'll never forget the little guy. He was SO sweet.

Thanks for letting me share. As a Mom/Baby nurse, we typically only have the healthy babes which is what makes this so hard.

ps. I'm about 5 beers in...
You did all you could. I'm sure the family appreciated the work you did.

Hoping the family finds peace.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Sorry, Pop
malenurse
AG
Probably what I get asked the most by friends or family.

I can't tell you how many people I have watched die, both as a nurse or firefighter.

It is always bad when its children. It was especially bad when my son was still very small and the victim was near the same age. You talk, you cry, then you pull yourself up because the next one could be walking through the door any minute. As nurses, we develop a shell that very few, usually other medical professionals, get to see through. We also deal with it with a warped sense of humor. We will make sick jokes and crack wise even during very stressful moments. But we are always professional in treating patients and family.

The thing I hated the most when I started charging, I now became the one to go with the doctor to talk to the family. It sucks. It really sucks.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Sweet Clementine
AG
As a pregnant lady, newborn deaths scare the sheet out of me.
Bruce Almighty
AG
My wife's an ER doc and does these things almost daily. There's only been a few times where she's come home upset, and it's always because of her having to tell a parent their kid is dead. I know she tries her best to keep work stuff at work, and when she has days like that, she tries to make her home life as normal as possible. Drink some wine, watch a movie, do chores, etc. eventually, it just becomes part of the job.
Poptartin
full term baby, should have been ok. not expected at all. even the NICU nurse said it's been 4 years and she's never had a death until now. I'm 1 year in and have experienced 2 in the past 2 weeks. I need a vacation. geez.
Poptartin
I do have to say that I have the most amazing managers and coworkers. I only had this one patient so I could give them my full attention. Others took over my other rooms. The provider access team came to see me, social work came to see me, the chaplain came to see me, house sup came to see me. I felt so much love today. And the family had my full attention. Which they deserved.

eff., I'm drunk.
Psychag
AG
Make sure to grieve and allow yourself to feel what your feeling. Can't imagine what you are feeling. Take care.
Ragoo
AG
God bless NICU nurses.

My two are sleeping soundly tonight because of the NICU staff at Methodist willow brook in Houston.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Poptartin
fan girling over mkf

<3
MonkeyKnifeFighter
swimmerbabe11
hugs sweetheart. I don't have anything helpful to say except that I am so very proud of you.

My prayers go out to the family for rest and comfort. That newborn baby is in the arms of heaven now.
Poptartin
thanks dory
HollywoodBQ
AG
God Bless you.

Makes you wonder how folks can be pro-abortion.
mike_ags_fan12
God had a plan for that baby. Accept it and carry on.
dubi
AG
When my hubby was in nursing school he was doing a clinical rotation at Ben Taub ER. A 2 year old came in with full CPR which he continued for too long before a dr pronounced him dead.

We had a two year old and an infant at the time which I think made it more difficult imagining "what if it was my kids".

He swore he would never do pedi and 20+ years later he still doesn't.

Prayers for you and the family. What you do is important and spending the day comforting them will be remembered.
JMac03
AG
Hope you are doing a little better today.
HockeyAg07
AG
I work in adult cardiac surgery behind the heart lung machine and have seen my share of people dying on the table. To be honest, it never really bothers me for more than about half an hour. I guess I just realize it's part of the job, so I blare the radio on the way home and let music remove that stress.

If there's nothing you could/would have done differently, I see no reason to feel bad. I'm not saying it isn't an emotional stressor, but try to focus on your next pt and it'll get better.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
It takes a special person to do what you do. Hope today is a better day, my friend.
unimboti nkum
AG
My friend works in international development and recently took some journalists on a trip to see some projects they're doing in Somaliland. There's a bad drought there, livestock is dying, people are starving, predator animals are getting aggressive towards humans, and it's generally a terrible place. One gentleman they visited was recently awakened in the middle of the night by a jackal trying to eat his face.

So, every morning I try to be thankful that I didn't wake up to a jackal eating my face.
FirefightAg
AG
It's tough. Saved a 46 yo and lost a 26 yo in less than 12 hours. Best thing is to know you did what you could but there's always more than just you involved in life and death. Learn from it and be better is ok to feel bad for a bit but you have to move on as well
wangus12
AG
malenurse said:

I can't tell you how many people I have watched die, both as a nurse or firefighter.

It is always the worst when its children. It was especially bad when my son was still very small and the victim was near the same age. You talk, you cry, then you pull yourself up because the next one could be walking through the door any minute. As nurses, we develop a shell that very few, usually other medical professionals, get to see through. We also deal with it with a warped sense of humor. We will make sick jokes and crack wise even during very stressful moments. But we are always professional in treating patients and family.

Right there with you man. Its is the hardest part of the job.
mwm
If you are doing what God called you to be, then He will also equip you to deal with this trauma. If the baby's family saw your tears, they know you did all you could possibly do. Don't be afraid to cry.

One more thing: Your compassion is a strength, not a weakness.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.