My mailman is retiring

5,032 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by riverrataggie
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I see this guy almost every day. We live in an older neighborhood so he walks to every house on the street. Always friendly. Excellent shape from all the walking. You can usually set your watch by when he delivers the mail. Dependable, a rarity for a federal postman. I can always tell when he is on vacation because the mail is late.

According to my nosey neighbors he is retiring with 17 years of service plus 33 years in the military.

Should we tip him as a retirement gift?
vin1041
AG
Or give him a gift card.
Arthur Stilwell
Do you always ask for advice for stupid and insignificant crap like this?
boboguitar
AG
Burdizzo said:

I see this guy almost every day. We live in an older neighborhood so he walks to every house on the street. Always friendly. Excellent shape from all the walking. You can usually set your watch by when he delivers the mail. Dependable, a rarity for a federal postman. I can always tell when he is on vacation because the mail is late.

According to my nosey neighbors he is retiring with 17 years of service plus 33 years in the military.

Absolutely
chiken
AG
If you're inclined to give someone a gift, just do it. It's a gift, not a puppy.

Edited for spelling.
Builder93
AG
crosswalk said:

3 strikes:

1. Not stupid to appreciate someone's good and dependable work.
2. Not insignificant to express said appreciation, especially to the parties involved.
3. If you consider human kindness crap, then you are that of which you speak.
Arthur Stilwell
Builder93 said:

crosswalk said:

3 strikes:

2. Not insignificant to express said appreciation, especially to the parties involved.
If he feels that way, then get the man a gift. Why the hell does he need help with deciding what to do? OP ain't freaking 8 years-old.

Either way, nobody gonna die. So yes, it is insignificant. And it's stupid because nobody cares whether his mailman gets a nice card signed by the whole neighborhood.
Burdizzo
AG
crosswalk said:

This the GB. Stupid is as stupid posts.
histag10
AG
If hes a good mailman, get him something.

I spent 4 years going through new mailmen constantly. Hell one was fired after they found out he was throwing all the mail for his route in the river, hiding his carrier truck, and sleeping all day.

Another was fired after he would only deliver mail 3 days a week, and was found parking in random places and sleeping and playing on his phone the rest of the day.
BenFiasco14
AG
Absolutely and get him a nice thank you card
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Mail him something. Make him earn the tip.
LEJ
Liquid Wrench
Maybe a gift card to a restaurant you like nearby.

It's exceedingly rare to have one mailman that you know. When I was a kid I think people would tip at Christmas time or something, but these days they rotate pretty frequently. That's kind of cool that you actually know your carrier.
Seven Costanza
AG
Write a note. "You had a job to do and you did that job well. Thank you for not being a piece of s**t. With other mailmen, you don't know if you're going to get your junk mail at 10:00 or 2:00. But with you, I always knew that I could go transfer my mail to my trash bin right at 1:15 every day rather than waiting until the end of the day to do it. Thanks for making my daily routine 1% more predictable."
DadAG10
Do you have any kids under 17 that don't look like you?
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Burdizzo said:

Given that he's the exception to an otherwise horribly inefficient lazy worthless POS union, definitely show him some appreciation
Cowboy1990
Burdizzo said:

Just the tip....
NWE
AG
Stuff his mail box with your parcel.
AggieKig
Is receiving a pension until he dies not good enough? He'll have better benefits than most who worked in the private sector.

Geralt of Rivia
S
The Mailman

Goose
AG
Builder93 said:

crosswalk said:

4 strikes:

4. OP is a legitimate TexAgs OG. Show a little f'ing respect.
fify

Edited to add: After 33 years in the military and another 17 walking his ass off delivering mail, he'd probably really appreciate a gift card to the most questionable local massage place you can find. A happy ending to his working career would make a nice start to his retirement days.
Woody2006
AG
OP, do any of your children resemble this mailman?
aglaohfour
AG
I think that's a really nice gesture and I'm sure he would love it. Our mailman has been delivering in the neighborhood since my husband was a little kid (he grew up where we live). We always give him a Christmas gift and leave bottled water for him throughout the summer. Based on the postal service experiences I've had elsewhere, he's a rarity and it's nice to recognize people who consistently provide great service.
JMac03
AG
I think it is a great idea. I used to mail and receive crap ton of packages and one year I gave my post person a gift card.

I will say being a state/federal employee they are only legally allowed to take a gift worth up to so much (so you couldn't do a $100 gift card). You just might need to research how much first.
JMac03
AG
Quote:

Employee Tipping and Gift-Receiving Policy
All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period.
Public Relations, Corporate Communications, 11-1-12

Aston04
AG
Give him a gift card. Although his pension is far better than most of us got.
Tanya 93
AggieKig said:

Is receiving a pension until he dies not good enough? He'll have better benefits than most who worked in the private sector.

Then become a soldier and mailman instead of being jealous.
Burdizzo
AG
Woody2006 said:

OP, do any of your children resemble this mailman?

Postal carrier is a black dude, so no.

But thanks for your concern.
Burdizzo
AG
Here is what we know from Glady Kravitz down the street who sent out the email blast about the retirement. We are allowed to give him a gift, but the gift cannot be worth more than $20 and cannot be cash. My guess is that he is going to get a pile of $20 gift cards from individuals which is kind of silly when you think about it.

My response was basically, "This is his last week on the job. If we get him a gift that violates this rule, what is the penalty? Would they fire him and take away a 50- year federal pension?"

BenFiasco14
AG
Tanya 93 said:

AggieKig said:

Then become a soldier and mailman instead of being jealous.
Seriously. The hatred of anyone who works in the public sector on this site is hilarious.

There's more to life than counting barrels of crude in a high rise in Houston, but TexAgs doesn't get that
BenFiasco14
AG
Burdizzo said:

Here is what we know from Glady Kravitz down the street who sent out the email blast about the retirement. We are allowed to give him a gift, but the gift cannot be worth more than $20 and cannot be cash. My guess is that he is going to get a pile of $20 gift cards from individuals which is kind of silly when you think about it.

My response was basically, "This is his last week on the job. If we get him a gift that violates this rule, what is the penalty? Would they fire him and take away a 50- year federal pension?"

Dude he'll treasure a personalized thank you card, handwritten, more than any sort of gift card. Don't fret over that. Just get him a gift card somewhere but write him a nice card
BlueMiles
AG
Invite him to visit the day after he retires.
Builder93
AG
AggieKig said:

I'm no fan of huge pensions for life, but it would do good to separate the individual from the bureacracy. Just like if a VP at Exxon were leaving after 20 years, give him something to say we appreciate you and your contributions. This is about the person, not the money.
Burdizzo
AG
BlueMiles said:

Invite him to visit the day after he retires.

There is email chatter to this effect this morning. Someone re-read the regs on this, and it said no cash equivalent. His last day is July 27.
HollywoodBQ
AG
My parents mailman was retired by Janet Reno.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.