Serious GB inquiry: Why have I never seen a book advertised as #2 New York Times Best

2,148 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Out in Left Field
exp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First of all, how many #1's can there be? Second of all, being #2 is still pretty impressive.

Really makes you think.

This post is prohibited from containing "if ya ain't first you're last" memes
BenFiasco14
AG
I think if it isn't or never was #1 it's simply advertised instead as

"A NYT Bestseller"

I've answered your question. Now post cans
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
62strat
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

"A NYT Bestseller"

Similar to;

'Band X had four #1 hits'
vs.
'Band Y had 5 hits'

You'd never say 'they had 5 hits between 2 and 14.'
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
To pile on, why would you advertise yourself as #2? What else do you associate with #2? Do you want to be the guy that walks into the book store and says, "I'd like a #2!"
Geralt of Rivia
S
jetch17
AG
DwightSchrute
AG
Publisher here. NYT best-seller is a meaningless in our industry now a days. It's mostly political and easy to game the system, not to mention it is broken up into so many categories its a joke.

I've sold over 2.5MM copies of various titles in the company I co-founded, 3 of which were NYT #1's. Just off the cuff, I have at least 10 other titles that would have qualified if they were in different categories. One NYT best seller might have only sold 2,000 copies, yet a diferent category it might be 200,000 copies.

All that aside, it can help with sales to customers, but definitely doesn't mean it's a 'good' book or did anything special...my books included.
ro828
If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.
62strat
AG
DwightSchrute said:

Publisher here. NYT best-seller is a meaningless in our industry now a days. It's mostly political and easy to game the system, not to mention it is broken up into so many categories its a joke.

I've sold over 2.5MM copies of various titles in the company I co-founded, 3 of which were NYT #1's. Just off the cuff, I have at least 10 other titles that would have qualified if they were in different categories. One NYT best seller might have only sold 2,000 copies, yet a diferent category it might be 200,000 copies.

All that aside, it can help with sales to customers, but definitely doesn't mean it's a 'good' book or did anything special...my books included.
It's like billboard #1. Being #1 is highly dependent on who else released an album that week.

If you're a mid level band trying to get #1, don't release an album the same week as beyonce or metallica or U2, etc..
bmc13
AG
62strat said:

BenFiasco14 said:

"A NYT Bestseller"

Similar to;

'Band X had four #1 hits'
vs.
'Band Y had 5 hits'

You'd never say 'they had 5 hits between 2 and 14.'

sounds like a VH1 special.

We worked for #2: the stories of the biggest bands that peaked at #2
gigemags-99
AG
Burdizzo
AG
DwightSchrute said:

Do you publish books about beets?
Out in Left Field
AG
Burdizzo said:

DwightSchrute said:

Do you publish books about beets?

No, probably about bears.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.