anyone here have plantar fasciitis?

6,419 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Girlhowdy
ballchain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
chiken
AG
I have had it, but thankfully mine has mostly gone away. I changed my shoes (less flip-flops), Motrin when the pain was unbearable, and finally, when I thought about it, rolling my heel around on a ball or something cylindrical and frozen.

I know there are options to have shots for pain and it worked temporarily for a coworker, but I never needed that route.

I think the shoes help the most.
bearamedic99
AG
if you feel the inability to get rid of flip flops, they make brands with arch support
Woody2006
AG
I used to have it and it was awful.

Unfortunately, nothing but time heals it. Get a water bottle or a coke bottle or something and freeze water in it so you can roll that under your foot to ice it down. Like chicken said, the cylindrical shape feels good along the arch of the foot.

When I had it, I had severe pain for about a month, and moderate pain for a couple more months after that. Good luck!
Builder93
AG
Had it. Hurt like crazy in the mornings. Get insoles with arch support. Haven't had to deal with it in 10 years.
Duncan Idaho
Never wear flip flops, never wear socks on hardwood floors.

Get Strasburg sock.
Stretch daily
Ice when it flares up.
Duncan Idaho
bearamedic99 said:

if you feel the inability to get rid of flip flops, they make brands with arch support

Suck it up and just get some Birkenstocks
ballchain
Ginormus Ag
AG
Roll a tennis ball or round wooden cylinder building block toy under my foot to stretch the tendon. Arch supports.
Luke Smith
I had just recently gotten over a case of spontaneous dental hydroplosion when I found out I had this. Hasn't been fun.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Just cut your foot off. Much easier that way.
boboguitar
AG
ballchain said:

what's your best method for heeling?

shanks.

Maximum amount of daily Ibprofen.

Ice a couple times a day.

Not running for a while, even after the pain goes away.
Dumpster Fire
Buy a lacrosse ball and use that.
twilly
AG
I've also used a compression sock/sleeve that gives extra support to the foot muscles. This plus the ice/meds routine worked for me. I'd also wear the sock at night to help prevent flare ups in the morning.
Ulrich
I have a threshold weight. As long as I'm under that it's no problem, but past that weight it gets worse and worse the heavier I get.
Arthur Stilwell
ballchain said:

It's ok. You put your best foot forward. It's unfortunate that it just wasn't that funny.
vin1041
AG
It's sucks! Had to get arch supports. The stretching exercises helped.
Sniffing Accountant
AG
Are we really gonna act like OP didn't make a pretty good foot pun?
Woody2006
AG
Sniffing Accountant said:

Are we really gonna act like OP didn't make a pretty good foot pun?
Realized it was a dx/dy after I had already posted a legit response.
Drawkcab
I plantar my fasciitis in your mom's colitis.
TMACsDaMan
The tennis ball works. Also, get a foot massage, have the therapist work the location with as much pressure as you can take before shedding tears. It will suck, but I think it works out some of the scar tissue and bone spurs that have developed.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I got better shoes and that helped a lot. LL Bean clog type walking shoes, while a bit frumpy, totally remedied my foot pain to the extent that I wore them as recovery shoes after runs.
Soother
AG
I did and it was awful. A knowledgeable shoe salesman put me in a bigger running shoe (+1 in size) with a larger toe box and good arch support. He then showed me how to lace up a bit differently to prevent my foot from sliding. Check out slide 3 for reference in this website:

http://running.competitor.com/2015/05/photos/3-ways-to-lace-up-your-running-shoes_128380

Problem went away in about a month.

Good luck!
Cowboy1990
chiken said:

I know there are options to have shots for pain and it worked temporarily for a coworker, but I never needed that route..

Had the shot and it did wonders for me.

Also a frozen water bottle works well. Roll you foot over it while sitting.
coyote68
Ride a bike 30 minutes a day.

Cured mine.
MisterShipWreck
I ended up having a cortisone shot in my heel because of it, about 2 years ago. I then got some special inserts.

I ended up buying 4 different inserts, including $80 ones I got from the doctor - but those ended up making other parts of my feet hurt.

I eventually found a $10 or so paid at HEB - Dr Scholls. They work great with arch support, and I have several pairs now. 1 in every pair of shoes.
Tobias Funke
AG
Go to an Airrosti doc. 1-2 visits it'll be knocked out
Seriously77
Both feet.

Shots work short term
Inserts did work for yrs but eventually had to have a procedure know as a Koby release done on one of my feet. That was 3 yrs ago and all is good.

joverton86
AG
I developed Plantar Fasciitis four years ago. Podiatrist put me in a night splint, orthotics and injections every 6 weeks for almost 3 years. I was two weeks from having a surgical procedure to "release" the tendon when I found this video on youtube When I do these stretches consistently my symptoms almost fully disappear. I do them 3-5 times a day and it takes about 3 minutes each time. Well worth the time and I feel much better when I do them consistently. I've not gone back to my podiatrist as I feel I no longer need him and I don't like that he did not teach me the fundamental stretches. Good luck.
chiken
AG
we all keep responding even after we realize the dillweed doesn't have plantar fasciitis, he was just doing a dx/dy thread.

Who is the actual chump? OP or us?
bmc13
AG
chiken said:

we all keep responding even after we realize the dillweed doesn't have plantar fasciitis, he was just doing a dx/dy thread.

Who is the actual chump? OP or us?

it's just an excellent dydx. keep it going.
Swarely
chiken said:

I have had it, but thankfully mine has mostly gone away. I changed my shoes (less flip-flops), Motrin when the pain was unbearable, and finally, when I thought about it, rolling my heel around on a ball or something cylindrical and frozen.
chikens foot on my ball
chiken
AG
How YOU doin'?
walton91
Girlfriend's father bought a brand of flip flops named Oofos. He loves them
Swarely
chiken said:

How YOU doin'?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.