Best Self Help Book (or 2) You've Ever Read

4,137 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by marble rye
Thomas Sowell, PhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1. The Road Less Travelled
2. Born to Win

(I can see this going horribly wrong on the GB)
Slicer97
AG
The Bible.

EOT
EFE
AG
The Subtle Art of not Giving a Fck
Who moved my cheese
Leadership and self deception
Dread Pirate Roberts
Slicer97 said:

The Bible.

EOT

There's the problem. While helpful, its not a self-help book. It's more about about God than us.
Slicer97
AG
Dude, I already ended the thread.

Besides, all that secondary **** you just mentioned can be found in the Holy Bible, menso...
Wildcat
AG
Slicer97 said:

The Bible.

EOT

Beat me to it.

And I will add 7-Habits. The lesson on circles of concern, influence, and control is the best lesson in life on how to focus one's energy and time. I use it on my staff just about every week.

redd38
AG
I've never read a self-help book, maybe that's why I'm so messed up
Slicer97
AG
It comes down to this: Act like Jesus.

You're gonna fail. Miserably, most likely. But the world will be a better place for you attempting it.
TxAg82
AG
How to Win Friends and Influence People. Dale Carnegie.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524705595&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=how+to+win+friends+and+influence+people&dpPl=1&dpID=51X7dEUFgoL&ref=plSrch
EFE
AG
Slicer97 said:

Besides, all that secondary **** you just mentioned can be found in the Holy Bible, menso...

I'm a believer, but I'm also educated. So I'm willing to get a second opinion to prevent confirmation bias and tribalism. And I've read that book a few times already, which says a lot because I treat most books like the women in my life.
shafter
AG
Every time I try to walk on water I just end up having a great time in a pool. Sounds like this act like jesus thing is working out well after all.
Dread Pirate Roberts
That's not the whole point of the Bible, but your statements correct. I really wouldn't mind having one day where I don't fail miserable. I'd even be thrilled with an hour.
Ignatius_of_Silesia

Slicer97
AG
Why would you draw a map of Hawaii on a book and not call it for 3 or 4 weeks? That makes no sense.
Dread Pirate Roberts
EagleFordEarl said:

Slicer97 said:

I'm a believer, but I'm also educated. So I'm willing to get a second opinion to prevent confirmation bias and tribalism. And I've read that book a few times already, which says a lot because I treat most books like the women in my life.
That's not weird at all. I'll make sure I never borrow a book from you.
TyHolden
AG
Speaking Oil and Gas
bagger05
AG
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

I read a lot of that stuff and this one is far and away the best, in my opinion.
EFE
AG
Slicer97 said:

Why would you draw a map of Hawaii on a book and not call it for 3 or 4 weeks? That makes no sense.

I meant that I only read them once and move on. Not crank out knuckle children on the covers, mensa.
Odin
AG
I can't get through 7 habits, it is probably the most boring book I have ever read. I have tried to read it 3 or 4 times.
Ragoo
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

Slicer97 said:

I meant that I only read them once and move on. Not crank out knuckle children on the covers, mensa.
why not both.gif
Slicer97
AG
Did a leadership/personality/communication workshop today. Turns out, I'm an ISTJ, green/gold who doesn't give a **** about your feelings and could tell you exactly why, based upon scientific research but won't because stating the obvious is a waste of energy because, well, it's obvious.

Who knew?
Human
AG
Slicer97 said:

Did a leadership/personality/communication workshop today. Turns out, I'm an ISTJ, green/gold who doesn't give a **** about your feelings and could tell you exactly why, based upon scientific research but won't because stating the obvious is a waste of energy because, well, it's obvious.

Who knew?

We all do, dick munch!
Slicer97
AG
Nobody respects the opinion of someone who cranks one out on sleeping people or takes pictures of fields of tulips, dude. Just sayin'.
EFE
AG
ENTP here, I question the ish outta everything and try to find a better, faster way than what you ISTJ's obsess over. But thanks for the frame work.
Burrus86
AG
According to the Football Forum, it's "How I Banged OP's Mom, and She Liked It!"

In Search of Excellence is my real answer.
Slicer97
AG
Good for you. Meanwhile, whist you're busy contemplating ****, I'll be getting it done since your better, faster method won't be coming until you've sat and contemplated it awhile longer. But rest assured, my kind will implement it once you're done stewing it over and discussed your feelings about it with HR.
SockDePot
Odin said:

I can't get through 7 habits, it is probably the most boring book I have ever read. I have tried to read it 3 or 4 times.

I wonder if habit number 7 is finishing what you started.
FIDO*98*
AG
How Not to Die
Ragoo
AG
FIDO*98* said:

How Not to Die
this one is a lie.
quanah
The Art of War
chiken
AG
quanah said:

The Art of War
And read that book and it was ****e.
Claude!
Has anyone read Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life?
IIIHorn
So, anyway ...

Yesterday, I walked into a book store and asked: "Where's the self help section?"

The lady said: "If I told you, it would defeat the purpose."
quanah
chiken said:

quanah said:

The Art of War
And read that book and it was ****e.

If you read as well as you write I can see why it gave you trouble.
chiken
AG
I was using the British vernacular, homeslice.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.